Your top 5 Latics Legends

That I have watched - started mid/late 80s.

Palmer - all time record goal scorer. Stuff legends are made off.

Ritchie - arguably the most entertaining player I ever saw in a Latics shirt.

Eyres - think he is one of the most professional "professional" footballers I've ever watched. And his fitness/pace never seemed to be lacking even at the end.

Royle - achieved things with Oldham the like we never thought we'd see, and will in all probability never see again.

Ricky Holden - with the club for two shortish periods, but for me personally, that first stint was one of the most memorable by any player I've seen. Untouchable on his day.

Sheriden - very close. For 2 or 3 seasons he was the reason we didn't get relegated to the bottom division. And as a manager following Moore, made it entertaining to watch Latics again (though that has dissappeared a bit of late).

Taylor - may well me. There is something about a player that runs at defences that gets you to your feet that I like, and when that player is local, home-grown and a fan of the team - its even better. I hope we keep him long enough that he can take a place in the upper reaches of the Latic Legends list.

Many other players from the 'pinch me' era could get honourable mentions, but its easy to become a 'legend' when a club is successful (and most of mine are in that mold). From our more recent 'barren' years I think Duxbury stands out are another 'nrealy in the Top 5'.

See my post from yesterday in the 'Thanks Shez' thread.

I'm 22. He's the reason I still follow the club.

I saw the Prem. First game was Middlesborough away in the Championship year but I can't say my memories are great of all that happened then.

My first hero was Sharp just because I knew he had been one of the best players in the country.

Eyres and Duxbury were great through my teenage years, but Shez is the only genius I've seen play for us whilst I've had some 'limited' knowledge and appreciation of the game. Best player in the division year after year. Probably the only on-field reason the club never fell further.

I can't say I rank anyone even close to him in terms of influence on me and enjoyment I've had watching them. I admire many but he's my only Legend and the fact he's held in equal esteem by fans of Leeds and Wednesday speaks volumes. Some players are Legends at one club, not many can say that about three.

For me it has to be the following 5 legends, for all the right reasons

Jimmy Friz

Joe Royle

Simon Corney

Simon Blitz

Danny Gazal

The order is of particular significance as well.

Jimmy wasn't the 1st manager I saw us play under, but I remember in my formative years watching him play and then take over from Jack Rowley. Saw 2 promotions under Jim and we played, as under Joe, with 2 wingers in McVitie and Groves with 2 from Garwood, Jones and Lockhead to feed off their supply. Fabulous times.

Joe because, well Joe is Joe. No matter what these 9, 11 or 12 matches bring that will never change.

Simon, Simon & Danny. That is obvious. T3A gave us what we have today. Our football club. The strange thing is after the last 5 years and with the way the economy has gone pear shaped and then the way the team had faded this season, I couldn't see how T3A could give us anything really positive again in the near future. But life is strange. I was sat there during the 2nd half of the Colchester game thinking the way we were playing the season could be over in a matter of days. I thought (1) How could we change this and (2) save the season. The 2 things didn't seem possible to put together. Just then I got one of those feelings, you know the feeling, the one where the pit of your stomach starts to ache (no toilet jokes please :lol: ) and then the name Joe Royle popped in. That made me go home and start the thread and the pole. To be honest not for 1 minute did I actually think it would happen, but thanks to T3A once again what seemed impossible has been pulled off by our owners. They have BP buzzing again this week and thats why for me they are in my 5.

Right thats the rubbish out of the way on a serious note my 5 all time legends have to be..............................................................................

er ................................................................................

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Cheers,

Harry

See my post from yesterday in the 'Thanks Shez' thread.

I'm 22. He's the reason I still follow the club.

I saw the Prem. First game was Middlesborough away in the Championship year but I can't say my memories are great of all that happened then.

My first hero was Sharp just because I knew he had been one of the best players in the country.

Eyres and Duxbury were great through my teenage years, but Shez is the only genius I've seen play for us whilst I've had some 'limited' knowledge and appreciation of the game. Best player in the division year after year. Probably the only on-field reason the club never fell further.

I can't say I rank anyone even close to him in terms of influence on me and enjoyment I've had watching them. I admire many but he's my only Legend and the fact he's held in equal esteem by fans of Leeds and Wednesday speaks volumes. Some players are Legends at one club, not many can say that about three.

Another cracking Shez post, you have a similar affection for him as me. A fond Shez memory of mine is a penalty he scored at the Rocky end, I can't remember the opposition (or the score!) I just remember him stroking it home and then just standing still with his chest pushed out. The ref was a big steak-head, looked a bit like Branston. If anybody knows the game I'm on about please enlighten me!

1. Simon Stainrod - purely because he was my favourite when my Dad first took me to latics as a little kid. Carl Valentine is worthy of a mention from that era too.

Then I had a bit of a break from Latics until the Royle era, hence the gap...

2. Joe Royle - he arrived at a skint club as a 29 year old crocked player and used car salesman and left our biggest ever legend. I still can't believe he's back.

3. Andy Ritchie - one of our best ever players, our biggest single on field influence in the Royle glory years, and one of the genuinely nicest people in football.

4. John Sheridan - player, coach, manager and integral to our revival in all three capacities, possibly most of all in bringing through some of our best young players. The fact so many of us include him the day after his departure says it all.

5. Simon Blitz, Danny Gazaal and Simon Corney - quite simply they saved us from oblivion, and everything they have done since has been to try and make our club stronger for the long term. We really are very, very lucky to have them.

For me it has to be the following 5 legends, for all the right reasons

Jimmy Friz

Joe Royle

Simon Corney

Simon Blitz

Danny Gazal

The order is of particular significance as well.

Jimmy wasn't the 1st manager I saw us play under, but I remember in my formative years watching him play and then take over from Jack Rowley. Saw 2 promotions under Jim and we played, as under Joe, with 2 wingers in McVitie and Groves with 2 from Garwood, Jones and Lockhead to feed off their supply. Fabulous times.

Joe because, well Joe is Joe. No matter what these 9, 11 or 12 matches bring that will never change.

Simon, Simon & Danny. That is obvious. T3A gave us what we have today. Our football club. The strange thing is after the last 5 years and with the way the economy has gone pear shaped and then the way the team had faded this season, I couldn't see how T3A could give us anything really positive again in the near future. But life is strange. I was sat there during the 2nd half of the Colchester game thinking the way we were playing the season could be over in a matter of days. I thought (1) How could we change this and (2) save the season. The 2 things didn't seem possible to put together. Just then I got one of those feelings, you know the feeling, the one where the pit of your stomach starts to ache (no toilet jokes please :lol: ) and then the name Joe Royle popped in. That made me go home and start the thread and the pole. To be honest not for 1 minute did I actually think it would happen, but thanks to T3A once again what seemed impossible has been pulled off by our owners. They have BP buzzing again this week and thats why for me they are in my 5.

Right thats the rubbish out of the way on a serious note my 5 all time legends have to be..............................................................................

er ................................................................................

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd

Harry Dowd :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Cheers,

Harry

I had my epiphany against Bristol Rovers, something was wrong, things had to change - how could we change it? I said to my mate there's only one guy who could lift the place and give us a chance of finishing in the top 6 - Royle! Never in a million years did I think we'd take the bull by the horns and actually gamble on sacking Shez in favour of a carpet ride of emotion nay almost religious fervour! Bring it on, I'm back to being 13 again!

Joe Royle's Blue and white Army...Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army...Yard Dogs, Yard Dogs...Tell mi ma, mi ma, to put the champagne on ice...Walking diwn Sheepfoot Lane to see Joe Royle's aces etc, etc...!