TTA - some thoughts

Now this is not intended as a bashing thread although I know some of you will take it that way...

I keep reading about what a wonderful job the owners have job and reading comments along the lines of "in TTA we trust etc"...

Now I think they have done a fantastic job with the business side. Plans for a new stadium, healthy accounts and at the same time providing a fighting budget for their managers (mostly).... You cant fault this side...

For me though the football side has been a bit of a joke... Made some very poor appointments on the manager side...

Talbot - Complete joke

Moore - A wrong fit for the club, I still think he would of got us up but his style of play was never going to keep the fans happy here. Result, early termination.

Sheridan - No experience but his appointment was heavily backed by the fans. Threw money at him and then sacked him at the finally hurdle...

During this time they also called the Porter situation wrong...and knocked a stand down which did have a negative effect on a lot of fans...and a number of other blunders..

Now, in a move that seemed to be more about putting bums on seats than any serious "challenge" to go up, they throw our old friend in to the fireing line to clear the decks and pick up the pieces of the earlier cock ups...

I am a backer of TTA and I think overall they have done a reasonable job but their handling of the football side has been pretty poor....

I just think while everyone in the club is taking a look at themselves I think TTA should as well... Five years on and we are now probably further away from going up since the Talbot days considering what is likely to be a massive cost cutting effort during the summer....

Like I said, this is not a bashing thread, it my thoughts after the last five years...some good some bad...

Going forward, I would like to see Joe given the job....

Edited by oafc0000

Agree in parts although TTA now have signaled negativity at the final hurdle.

Will TTA comment on who let LH go out on loan?

Did JR have enough time with LH to see he wasnt going to be any use this season? I dont think so !

JR is famed for attacking football bring wingers into play and gettin the ball into the box for the strikers to score - Surely this is what LH has wanted all season ?

Lets forget LH the convicted man, trouble causer (rumoured) drinker(rumoured) lets hold the key fact

The leading scorer has been loaned out to a rival, when we still had a small chance of promotion ourselves.

Havent TTA mentioned that some foreigners want to invest in the club ? Not exactly the most positive business example for anyone looking to invest in the team.

What people forget is LA and DS are now going to be under more pressure to perform and score goals but there again we still have Wolfy

TTA probably had less to do with the manager appointments than you think. Especially Talbot and Moore when they were relatively new to the club. They'd probably gone off recommendations from people within the club. Shez wasn't a bad appointment, it just didn't completely work out, not a nightmare. Joe's been in charge for two games and took over a team which is in a bit of a shambles, can't call that one just yet.

At the end of the day the football side is up to the manager, he knows what he wants and then asks TTA to fund moves, which they have done, as owners they've backed their manager, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Woe betide the manager should his signings fails.

Porter situation I agree on, only in retrospect, as businessmen I thought though they should have shown a bit more acumen than to trust a player who's only interests are in himself.

All in all TTA are good owners, on the financial side they've been swell, the footballing side isn't their domain, of course they overlook it, but it's down to the manager to get it right on the pitch. All TTA can do is back their manager or find a new one. Which they've done.

Now this is not intended as a bashing thread although I know some of you will take it that way...

I keep reading about what a wonderful job the owners have job and reading comments along the lines of "in TTA we trust etc"...

Now I think they have done a fantastic job with the business side. Plans for a new stadium, healthy accounts and at the same time providing a fighting budget for their managers (mostly).... You cant fault this side...

For me though the football side has been a bit of a joke... Made some very poor appointments on the manager side...

Talbot - Complete joke

Moore - A wrong fit for the club, I still think he would of got us up but his style of play was never going to keep the fans happy here. Result, early termination.

Sheridan - No experience but his appointment was heavily backed by the fans. Threw money at him and then sacked him at the finally hurdle...

During this time they also called the Porter situation wrong...and knocked a stand down which did have a negative effect on a lot of fans...and a number of other blunders..

Now, in a move that seemed to be more about putting bums on seats than any serious "challenge" to go up, they throw our old friend in to the fireing line to clear the decks and pick up the pieces of the earlier cock ups...

I am a backer of TTA and I think overall they have done a reasonable job but their handling of the football side has been pretty poor....

I just think while everyone in the club is taking a look at themselves I think TTA should as well... Five years on and we are now probably further away from going up since the Talbot days considering what is likely to be a massive cost cutting effort during the summer....

Like I said, this is not a bashing thread, it my thoughts after the last five years...some good some bad...

Going forward, I would like to see Joe given the job....

just got in from work and was expecting to see we had signed a striker....now it appears our leading scorer has gone.

i agree to a certain degree that tta's on the football side havent shown as much interest as the financial or buisness side.but that isnt there remit,that is the managers job and whoever his assistant is,like has been said the manager wants a player asks for cash and goes get him...

whilst a little shocked he has gone,i think a big cloud has been lifted,people say has royle had enough time to make a decision....he has been watching the team for months,either as himself or by his close friends and allies who he trusts.hughes was gone in the summer anyway,wasnt going to sign a bumper new deal and to a certain degree i am glad.

since january he has been like a sulky child because he couldnt get his way and leave for a championship club,has he put the effort in since christmas....not all the time,could or should he have scored a lot more goals...yes.

i trust the amigo's implicitly...they have the clubs best interests at heart....they are now planning for next season,if joe gets us in the playoffs its a bonus..

what needs to be done now is to steady the ship,let all the dust settle,and pick up again in the summer with a decent manager in charge,who players respect and will play for,cull the dead wood from the team...and bring in some new faces and give it another bloody good go.

Some people have pointed out that they think its the manager’s job to deal with the football matters and of course I agree!!

What I dont agree with is this idea that the manager alone is responsible. In no other organisation would the board be removed from all responsibility for areas of their business. The TTA are the owners and directors of the club. I am sorry but they are ultimately responsible for the path this club takes. Its right that the manager takes the flake for the day to day football affairs but its up to the owners to find and appoint the right man for the job. Something they have failed to do on three occasions now. I do think thats a issue and should result in the TTA reviewing their own actions in this one department.

I also think their is a issue that has been swept under the carpet a little. Hughes was brought in by the board. Hughes was approached by the board and was never Shezs choice. I do not know exactly what went on, but I wasn’t surprise when we found out all was not well between Shez and Hughes. In this area it would seem Shez didn’t have full control over the football side.

Out interest...how did Windass come to the club ? Was he identified by Shez ? or by the board ?

Like I said, not a bashing thread, but some constructive criticism. Shez got sacked, key players names being dragged through the mud (fairly or not I don’t know), I think the WHOLE club needs to look at its self and learn, including the top who are ultimately responsible...

Edited by oafc0000

The club was and still is losing money on a weekly basis. During the course of the season and with Latics looking in a healthy play off place, TTA have ploughed more and more money into the wages of the team in an attempt to get us outta of this league or at least in the play off's. At the same time refusing tempting offers to sell our better players. They. along with us have seen the slump in firm and ultimately are decline out of contention. Bringing Royle in was the last ditch chance to keep us in the play off's and the extra revenue that would have brought. Now it's looking increasingly the gamble of the extra funds and refusing the transfer monies as not paid off. Getting rid of Hughes now, who wasn't staying next season is just a way of lightening the money out burden, and why not?

The credit crunch as hit and will impact more on TTA business over next couple of years. Allied with the cotinuation in reduction of gate money they've already seen whilst here, they need to pull in their belts from this season's pushing the boat out. For the first time ever I honestly believe this coming season they will be looking seriously at their involvement with the club. Which this latest rumour snipet they are looking into a 3rd party investment option holds credibility for me. Should a 3rd party investor turn up who then goes one step further and say's I actually fancy a football club myself, I think they'll sell.

So don't be to hard on these guy's, yes they've made mistake's and I think they'll hold their hands up and say so. Bloody costly ones to in the pocket no doubt! however all in all they have been great for this club and done untold amounts of good. One things for sure, when they come to write the final book on OAFC, it will be a feel good factor chapter this one in our history.

Edited by Lags

The club was and still is losing money on a weekly basis. During the course of the season and with Latics looking in a healthy play off place, TTA have ploughed more and more money into the wages of the team in an attempt to get us outta of this league or at least in the play off's. At the same time refusing tempting offers to sell our better players. They. along with us have seen the slump in firm and ultimately are decline out of contention. Bringing Royle in was the last ditch chance to keep us in the play off's and the extra revenue that would have brought. Now it's looking increasingly the gamble of the extra funds and refusing the transfer monies as not paid off. Getting rid of Hughes now, who wasn't staying next season is just a way of lightening the money out burden, and why not?

The credit crunch as hit and will impact more on TTA business over next couple of years. Allied with the cotinuation in reduction of gate money they've already seen whilst here, they need to pull in their belts from this season's pushing the boat out. For the first time ever I honestly believe this coming season they will be looking seriously at their involvement with the club. Which this latest rumour snipet they are looking into a 3rd party investment option holds credibility for me. Should a 3rd party investor turn up who then goes when step further and say's I actually fancy a football club myself, I think they'll sell.

So don't be to hard on these guy's, yes they've made mistake and I think they'll hold their hands up and say so. Bloody costly ones to in the pocket no doubt! however all in all they have been great for this club and done untold amounts of good. One things for sure, when they come to write the final book on OAFC, it will be a feel good factor chapter this one in our history.

a fan and season ticket holder for 35 years I view but never post on here but I am moved to say that is the most sensible post I've ever seen on this board - well said Lags whoever you are.

The credit crunch as hit and will impact more on TTA business over next couple of years. Allied with the cotinuation in reduction of gate money they've already seen whilst here, they need to pull in their belts from this season's pushing the boat out. For the first time ever I honestly believe this coming season they will be looking seriously at their involvement with the club. Which this latest rumour snipet they are looking into a 3rd party investment option holds credibility for me. Should a 3rd party investor turn up who then goes when step further and say's I actually fancy a football club myself, I think they'll sell.

So don't be to hard on these guy's, yes they've made mistake and I think they'll hold their hands up and say so. Bloody costly ones to in the pocket no doubt! however all in all they have been great for this club and done untold amounts of good. One things for sure, when they come to write the final book on OAFC, it will be a feel good factor chapter this one in our history.

Spot on Lags

Can I also just say that Jacko looks a proper 'special case' on your Avatar! :wink:

See you both on Saturday for a jar or 12!

I have massive respect for TTA and think they are doing a great job. They made a tough decision to sack Shez, but ultimately it will turn out to be the right decision in the long run. JR has got the opportunity now to assess the squad before the end of the season and get rid of the dead wood before next season. He has ruffled a few feathers over the past few weeks, but we have been crying out for this all season. Stale performances and back chat to the manager where becoming all to familiar. Shez was too close to the players to sort it out and that was his downfall.

JR has between now and the end of the season to instill a bit of respect back in to the players. We all want and expect different things and have massively different expectation levels. Some believe we have given up on promotion others think we can still make it. For me if we can get to the end of the season with a set of players who go out and wear the shirt with pride and passion then JR will have succeeded. One thing is clear so far, JR is not afraid to make the tough calls Shez couldn't or wouldn't do.

During the close season JR will be using all his contacts to bring in good young talent that want to play football. JR has trusted friends in high places and that is a massive thing to have for a manager at this level. If we can keep JR as manager in to next season then we will be going in to the season with by far the most experienced manager in the league, with trusted premiership contacts who will want to help him out. If TTA can pull that off and make that happen then we can't really knock them.

Keep the faith.

Some good points 0000's.

What we have to remember is that while TTA are expert and successful businessmen, OAFC 2004 Ltd is their first foray into football. They have certainly made mistakes, but they didn't get where they are today in business by not learning from them. [/CJ]

I trust them. Not because they're perfect, but because they believe in and are committed to what they're doing, and because they DO learn from their and other people's mistakes.

When TTA came in, Barry Chaytow was meant to be the man with the experience in football boardrooms to help them out. That ended badly, but I would be overjoyed if the rumours about John Wardle bringing some investment and experience to the club are true ... as long as TTA retain the controlling interest.

Lots of good point on this thread and I am glad it didn't turn into a :censored: throwing exercise just because some one dared find any fault with our backers. Its really not what I was looking for.

Like I said, I am behind them and I believe in the them but the next appointment needs to be better and more thought out than the three before. I think experience is the key. I would certainly back Joe getting the job and if not someone else with experience.

Please no ex players....