rarely wrong

ATHLETIC have defended their decision to allow top scorer Lee Hughes to join Coca-Cola Championship club Blackpool on loan for the remainder of the season.

The Seasiders made a surprise move for 18-goal Hughes, who is out of contract this summer, two hours before yesterday’s transfer deadline for emergency loans.

“This is not a sign that we have given up on trying to qualify for the play-offs,” said manager Joe Royle. “But we have not been scoring with Lee in the side, which is why I wanted to try something different.”

Athletic have been unhappy with the form of 32-year-old Hughes in the second half of the campaign and it is widely expected he will move on this summer when his contract at Boundary Park expires.

Chief executive Alan Hardy said: “Lee’s form since January, when there was transfer speculation about his future, has disappointed both John Sheridan and Joe Royle.

“Lee was not included in the squad for tomorrow’s league game at Leyton Orient as the manager wanted to look at younger strikers.

“If Joe was not going to use the player for the rest of the season, there is no point him sitting here doing nothing.”

Royle added the decision to allow Hughes to leave was his alone and was not done for financial reasons.

He revealed he had earlier made an unsuccessful bid to bring in Crystal Palace striker Alan Lee before he joined Norwich City on loan.

Athletic have also confirmed that the January offer of a new two-year contract to Hughes, which would have made him the club’s highest-paid player, had been withdrawn some time ago.

Hughes is being linked with a summer move to Leicester, the runaway League One leaders, while Doncaster, who tried to sign him in January, remain interested.

Lewis Alessandra is set to replace Hughes for tomorrow’s game at Leyton Orient, where Stefan Stam and Ian Westlake, both ineligible in midweek, will also be in the starting line-up.

Neal Eardley, a substitute in midweek, is on international duty with Wales, but Kieran Lee is included in the squad for the first time under Royle.

Athletic (from): Supple, Fleming, Lee, Lomax, Hazell, Gregan, Stam, Jones, Taylor, Westlake, Maher, Allott, Whitaker, Alessandra, Kabba, Smalley, Liddell, Ferreira.

That IMO is a strong squad!

It's been a strong squad all season.

Which is why we are all feeling so let down at the moment!

It will be interesting to see where the goals come from on Saturday though. Assuming they do come.

Edited by opinions4u

“This is not a sign that we have given up on trying to qualify for the play-offs,” said manager Joe Royle. “But we have not been scoring with Lee in the side, which is why I wanted to try something different.”

Fair enough but NO ONE is scoring

Chief executive Alan Hardy said: “Lee’s form since January, when there was transfer speculation about his future, has disappointed both John Sheridan and Joe Royle.

“Lee was not included in the squad for tomorrow’s league game at Leyton Orient as the manager wanted to look at younger strikers.

What now happens if 2 young forwards get injured tomorrow, Monday or even next week ??? What options do we now have ?

“If Joe was not going to use the player for the rest of the season, there is no point him sitting here doing nothing.”

Do nothing? I dont understand this part, many players including Dale stephens, Lee and other have been here all season and DONE NOTHING !!!

Royle added the decision to allow Hughes to leave was his alone and was not done for financial reasons.

So Joes thought process was, Leading scorer isnt scoring in the last 2 months when I wasnt here, I dont rate him so I will let him leave, reduce my sqaud size because I cant get anyone to replace him and will let the kids with little experience in end of season pushes for promotion have a go at getting us in the Play Offs ??

Pull the other one it plays Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield

Are we supposed to believe that Royle thought Hughes was so :censored:e in 2 games that he wouldn't have made the bench during our push for the play offs? Bollocks. They have given up, so have I the seasons over.

in which case will you now leave the board until next season then please....

this is about the 4th or 5th thread i have read with you posting the same....move on and get over it,or bring something constructive to the group.

this is about the 4th or 5th thread i have read with you posting the same....move on and get over it,or bring something constructive to the group.

He is free to post his opinion, its one shared by many

It's been a strong squad all season.

Which is why we are all feeling do let down at the moment!

It will be interesting to see where the goals come from on Saturday though. Assuming they do come.

Strong in terms of numbers, but in terms of quality not good enough.

You only have to look at the squad list which have been typed out on recent posts, and the amount of players you wouldn't be bothered about if they were to leave.

Strong in terms of numbers, but in terms of quality not good enough.

You only have to look at the squad list which have been typed out on recent posts, and the amount of players you wouldn't be bothered about if they were to leave.

They have the quality.

They simply didn't deliver on it.

Are we supposed to believe that Royle thought Hughes was so :censored:e in 2 games that he wouldn't have made the bench during our push for the play offs? Bollocks. They have given up, so have I the seasons over.

Its not that black and white, I think there is alot more than meets the eye than just 2 poor games

Who the :censored: are you to tell me what to post?

I was adding my point of them giving up alongside the comment about Hughes being needed if they are indeed serious on getting top 6. Drop him yes, send him to Blackpool no.

If your bored of my posts don't read them.

FYI my posts are usually about the ticket office staffs norks/cans/milkers and are great my tubby friend

Edited by Markoasis
Swearing

Who the :censored: are you to tell me what to post?

I was adding my point of them giving up alongside the comment about Hughes being needed if they are indeed serious on getting top 6. Drop him yes, send him to Blackpool no.

If your bored of my posts don't read them.

FYI my posts are usually about the ticket office staffs norks/cans/milkers and are great my tubby friend

who the f**k are you to call me tubby???

i'll give you the norks cans and other threads,but dont make it personal

hughes has been like a sulky little boy since january,he is a free agent in the summer...we dont have a reserve squad otherwise im sure joe would of stuck him in there.

sending him out when he is leaving anyway is fine,they will pick up his wage freeing up cash for us

the season is only over when it is mathematically impossible to progress.

i'll give you the norks cans and other threads,but dont make it personal

hughes has been like a sulky little boy since january,he is a free agent in the summer...we dont have a reserve squad otherwise im sure joe would of stuck him in there.

sending him out when he is leaving anyway is fine,they will pick up his wage freeing up cash for us

the season is only over when it is mathematically impossible to progress.

Shut it fatty :grin::grin::grin:

Shame we didn't get Alan Lee. Just the sort of lump we could have done with.

The Palace fan decide me answered, “Donkey. We shipped him out to Norwich,” before saying (in refer to a quote off here I mentioned to him the other day), “put it this way, if Kabba makes Phil Starbuck look good, Lee would make Starbuck look like an international superstar.”

I wouldnt worry mate he called it me it must be a stock reply

Calm down Tubby. I'm glad you found the humour but I didn't mention Cancer never mind laugh at it.

It was just a bit of 'armless banter

The Palace fan decide me answered, “Donkey. We shipped him out to Norwich,” before saying (in refer to a quote off here I mentioned to him the other day), “put it this way, if Kabba makes Phil Starbuck look good, Lee would make Starbuck look like an international superstar.”

Damn you and your Palace informants :wink: