Bring Back John Harbin

Now no doubt their will be alot of inquest as to what has gone wrong over the last month or so and people will point to all kinds of reasons as to why we have faded away.

For me the one thing that we need for next season is a change in mentality we need to be stronger physically and mentally and a more proffesional approach needs to be taken. Now I know running hard and challenging for every ball will not on its own win you promotion because you need talented footballers too but we need to get those players to go the extra yard and when things go against you to dust themsleves down and go again. John Harbin or someone of that ilk is the man to do that.

Joe Royle if he stays next season no doubt would be able to use his contacts to bring in some rough diamonds thats what he built his reputation on but we are going to have someoneelse in their who can mould them into tough mean hungry winners.

Any thoughts?

Now no doubt their will be alot of inquest as to what has gone wrong over the last month or so and people will point to all kinds of reasons as to why we have faded away.

For me the one thing that we need for next season is a change in mentality we need to be stronger physically and mentally and a more proffesional approach needs to be taken. Now I know running hard and challenging for every ball will not on its own win you promotion because you need talented footballers too but we need to get those players to go the extra yard and when things go against you to dust themsleves down and go again. John Harbin or someone of that ilk is the man to do that.

Joe Royle if he stays next season no doubt would be able to use his contacts to bring in some rough diamonds thats what he built his reputation on but we are going to have someoneelse in their who can mould them into tough mean hungry winners.

Any thoughts?

Dowie showed the importance of fitness in this league. Ours has been shameful this season, we're normally burnt out after 60 mins and end up over run for the last 30, clinging onto what we've got. Dowie set out to make us the fittest team in the league and we were, probably won us 10-15 points over the course of the season. Every year that should be our aim, quality isn't necesarily all that decides things in this division. You look at the teams that have caused us problems and they are industrious sides that never give you a second on the ball. If you can put together a team like that and add a few quality players into that, you can go a long way in this division.

Personally can't knock what Dowie/Harbin at Oldham, but let's not forget they had a lot of money to play with and a squad which was IMO probably the second best (Wigan being first due to their strike force) in the league that season.

Dowie/Harbin haven't been able to reproduce that magic elsewhere, so there's no guarantee that getting Harbin back would work. That said, I agree with original poster and feel we probably don't just need a new manager but one or two new faces to work alongside the manager on the training ground.

Some of our 'kids' could do worse than get themselves upto Oldham Boxing Club for a weekly session instead prancing around at JJB - not joking. Fitness wise, boxers are second to none, and I think it goes without saying that one or two of the players also need to toughen up.

Is someone gonna post this every week or just every time we lose?

Common thinking when harbin was here was that injuries increased due to intensity of training. hey ho, damned if you do, clutching at straws if you don't?

Common thinking when harbin was here was that injuries increased due to intensity of training. hey ho, damned if you do, clutching at straws if you don't?

I agree with the spirit of the post though.

Robo Physio has, it would appear, protected us from injuries.

Better mind set on and off the pitch wouldn't go amiss.

A better training regime (and I ain't got a clue what they have now) may make us last long than 45 minutes a game.

Don't care who it is who pulls it all together. But if it can be done, let's do it.

I do think somethng does need to be done about fitness and bringing a fitness coach could only help. Harbin is a not gonna happen as he is still employed at QPR

Personally can't knock what Dowie/Harbin at Oldham, but let's not forget they had a lot of money to play with and a squad which was IMO probably the second best (Wigan being first due to their strike force) in the league that season.

Dowie/Harbin haven't been able to reproduce that magic elsewhere, so there's no guarantee that getting Harbin back would work. That said, I agree with original poster and feel we probably don't just need a new manager but one or two new faces to work alongside the manager on the training ground.

Some of our 'kids' could do worse than get themselves upto Oldham Boxing Club for a weekly session instead prancing around at JJB - not joking. Fitness wise, boxers are second to none, and I think it goes without saying that one or two of the players also need to toughen up.

"Dowie/Harbin haven't been able to reproduce that magic elsewhere"

er didnt they take Palace from the relegation slots to a play off win inside about 5 months ?

Well we are losing with increasing regularity at the moment so something has to change I'm not pointing the finger at anyone individually at the club. I am trying to look at this objectively the reality is we have been performing like relegation candidates for about a month now, something has to change. It wasn't just Harbin's fitness regime it was what he added as a Sports Psychologist I do think we need a change in mental approach that season we never lost more than 1 in a row when we lost we picked ourself up and went again.

I know any manager can only do with what players he has you could put Jose Mourinho and his finest portugese assistants in charge from now until the end of the season and we still wouldn't make the play offs but we need people who can maximise what they have got a sports psycologist/fitness guru would be be a massive help to us.

Are we unfit? We've only conceded something like 3 or 4 goals in the last 10 minutes of a game all season.

I remember post-Millwall, Dale, Leeds, MK, Tranmere etc...when people were raving early doors about how fit the team was...that they could keep playing to the final whistle when the opposition looked like they were tiring. Has anything changed? Or are the players understandably more fatigued now they've almost played the whole season?

Are we unfit? We've only conceded something like 3 or 4 goals in the last 10 minutes of a game all season.

I remember post-Millwall, Dale, Leeds, MK, Tranmere etc...when people were raving early doors about how fit the team was...that they could keep playing to the final whistle when the opposition looked like they were tiring. Has anything changed? Or are the players understandably more fatigued now they've almost played the whole season?

Good points. Physically, maybe there isn't a problem, maybe there is. Mentally ? There must be a problem, as the OP says. Strength is as much mental as physical.