Players ages

I think I have sussed our Problem :shock:

We do not have any players I can think of that would be considered playing in their prime. How many players do we have between the ages of say 25-30 which is when a player is considered to be at his peak.... Rubes is the only one that springs to mind in this age bracket.....

We are team full of potential and then players nearing the end of their careers.. Next season I think Joe needs to be signing the sort of players that are in there prime... We already have the youngsters which are great on there day and then we have the likes of Gregan, Allot, Maher with the experience... What we need now is players who have reached their peak and are playing consistently to that standard week in week out... Get a few quality league one players in that are in this bracket and we may have the perfect blend...

These sorts of players are probably more diffcult to get hold on free transfers or low value but they must be out there somewhere in league one....

I think I have sussed our Problem :shock:

We do not have any players I can think of that would be considered playing in their prime. How many players do we have between the ages of say 25-30 which is when a player is considered to be at his peak.... Rubes is the only one that springs to mind in this age bracket.....

We are team full of potential and then players nearing the end of their careers.. Next season I think Joe needs to be signing the sort of players that are in there prime... We already have the youngsters which are great on there day and then we have the likes of Gregan, Allot, Maher with the experience... What we need now is players who have reached their peak and are playing consistently to that standard week in week out... Get a few quality league one players in that are in this bracket and we may have the perfect blend...

These sorts of players are probably more diffcult to get hold on free transfers or low value but they must be out there somewhere in league one....

Agreed, but players that are available go to the clubs paying the best wages if they are out of contract. The ones not out of contract demand a fee. This summer will be an eye opener for most players. They will find that wages being offered by the majority of clubs, will be less than they expect. A lot of clubs will be cutting back, and there will be a glut of players on the market.

Not sure Gregan, Allot, Liddel, Maher who are all over 30 when signed would be any cheaper in wages than established league one players between 25-30 year old.

"Not sure", I am.

A defender as good as Gregan but aged 26 would be far too expensive for us. At the time we signed him I feel Gregan was the best in the league. If he was aged 26 he would have been way out of our price range.

I'm not sure Allott and Maher type players are that rare so yeah we could gamble on younger players.

Lids is gone and won't be on the wages he was signed on anyway IMO.

"Not sure", I am.

A defender as good as Gregan but aged 26 would be far too expensive for us. At the time we signed him I feel Gregan was the best in the league. If he was aged 26 he would have been way out of our price range.

I'm not sure Allott and Maher type players are that rare so yeah we could gamble on younger players.

Lids is gone and won't be on the wages he was signed on anyway IMO.

A player as good as Gregan at 26 wouldnt be in league one!! What i was getting at is we need good league one players in there prime age, and no I dont think that they would be on any more than Gregan is on now.. Gregan at 26 was a premiership player!

A player as good as Gregan at 26 wouldnt be in league one!! What i was getting at is we need good league one players in there prime age, and no I dont think that they would be on any more than Gregan is on now.. Gregan at 26 was a premiership player!

Gregan was the best centre half in the league when we signed him whatever his age. If we sign the best centre half during the summer who happens to be 31 then great. Or should we be looking at players not as good but who are 'in there prime'?

It could be argued that Allott has been at his best since his second spell and you've stated he was signed over the age you want.

Age doesn't matter, ability does. I hope we don't sign Scholes he's not in his prime :shock:

I promise you Calvin Zola in 'his prime' will not be better than Steve Howard in 'his 40's'

Edited by ritchie82

Gregan was the best centre half in the league when we signed him whatever his age. If we sign the best centre half during the summer who happens to be 31 then great. Or should we be looking at players not as good but who are 'in there prime'?

It could be argued that Allott has been at his best since his second spell and you've stated he was signed over the age you want.

Age doesn't matter, ability does. I hope we don't sign Scholes he's not in his prime :shock:

I promise you Calvin Zola in 'his prime' will not be better than Steve Howard in 'his 40's'

Its all about ability as you say! Thats why the likes of Taylor, Smalley + Eardley who have been watched week in week out by scouts from championship clubs all have bags of ability but have as many bad games as they do good games.... Rubes is a player that falls into this age and along with Allott has been our most consistent performer for the past 18 months, both have arguably less ability than other players we have.

Well done on picking Scholes as your example

Its all about ability as you say! Thats why the likes of Taylor, Smalley + Eardley who have been watched week in week out by scouts from championship clubs all have bags of ability but have as many bad games as they do good games.... Rubes is a player that falls into this age and along with Allott has been our most consistent performer for the past 18 months, both have arguably less ability than other players we have.

Well done on picking Scholes as your example

11 good old 'uns will beat 11 :censored: 26 year olds who are in their prime is the point I'm making.

If we sign the best player in their position does it matter if they are technically in their prime? Eyres and Sheridan did ok.

I think that fact that I'd said Gregan was still the best centre half in the league at the time despite not being signed in 'his prime' was a better example. For a 3rd division club to only want to sign players aged between 25 & 30 is laughable. I'd love us to sign Steve Howard even though he is frightfully old.

JP Kalla, John Thompson and Michael Clegg were all signed in their prime. Mint.

11 good old 'uns will beat 11 :censored: 26 year olds who are in their prime is the point I'm making.

If we sign the best player in their position does it matter if they are technically in their prime? Eyres and Sheridan did ok.

I think that fact that I'd said Gregan was still the best centre half in the league at the time despite not being signed in 'his prime' was a better example. For a 3rd division club to only want to sign players aged between 25 & 30 is laughable. I'd love us to sign Steve Howard even though he is frightfully old.

JP Kalla, John Thompson and Michael Clegg were all signed in their prime. Mint.

"11 good old 'uns will beat 11 :censored: 26 year olds who are in their prime is the point I'm making"

Did i say sign 11 players? I said we already have a good mixture of youth and experience and I would add to it players who are in there prime

You refer to cr*p players. Why do the players that we sign in their prime have to be rubbish. It is possible we can attract some decent players for league one standard! We have done it in the past ie Wellens. Apart from the likes of Leeds, Leicester Peterborough and MK Dons who 3 of which will be gone at the end of the season we are as attractive proposition as 90% of clubs in this division

Edited by NIKI1234

We wouldnt be able to sign players like Gregan in their prime. Players in their prime playing at this level would surely be at their level with the wages we can offer, therefore would not help us get promotion.

We have failed because we dont have enough resources to compete with the top teams, hence the team we put out is not good enough. Again we have had a fairly decent first team but no depth and no quality whatsoever in the middle.

We wouldnt be able to sign players like Gregan in their prime. Players in their prime playing at this level would surely be at their level with the wages we can offer, therefore would not help us get promotion.

We have failed because we dont have enough resources to compete with the top teams, hence the team we put out is not good enough. Again we have had a fairly decent first team but no depth and no quality whatsoever in the middle.

I thought we failed because of the inexplicable decisions at management level, an obvious inability to manage with the squad we had without tinkering unnecessarily by bringing in a plethora of useless loan signings (Jones and possibly Golbourne aside), playing said loan signings in front of our own capable players and getting rid of/loaning out our own players.

If Maher had been given a decent run from the off, the midfield may have not been such an issue.

If Maher had been given a decent run from the off, the midfield may have not been such an issue.

In fairness Whitaker was playing really well at the start of the season and Maher didn't do himself too many favours when he was given as run out. We looked like a different team when Whitaker replaced Maher against Millwall, up until then we never really looked like creating anything going forward.

In fairness Whitaker was playing really well at the start of the season and Maher didn't do himself too many favours when he was given as run out. We looked like a different team when Whitaker replaced Maher against Millwall, up until then we never really looked like creating anything going forward.

I agree.

Port Vale fans did warn us that Whits plays well sporadically and can disappear when up against a physical side etc. This seems to be true, however, under Joe's style of play, he does appear to be playing well again.

Maher brings something different to to the team than Whits and I suspect the difference is knowing when to use which player at the right time and not dropping them like a hot potato when they have one duff performance.