parking ticket

just trying to find if any other supporters recieved a parking ticket on the night of the leeds game,the road in question is the access road to the clayton green pub

reason i ask is that on the night in question i didnt find a ticket on my car but have recieved a letter from the council parkin mob saying the road in question is a restricted street with no parking at any time on it(may need to warn other supporters of this road)

Edited by chaddy

If you want to challenge it you should request a copy of the ticket and the warden’s notes. I think the wardens will have cameras so if there is a photo of your car with a ticket stuck to it you aren’t getting off on those grounds – it doesn’t matter if it has blown off, been stolen by a prankster or whatever, if it has been attached to the vehicle it is legally served. They don’t need to have photos though, if not then your chances of appealing it would depend on whether the warden made notes about things like you tax disc number, that sort of thing is taken as showing that he did observe the car on the balance of probability. At the least you should write saying you didn’t get the ticket and they should re-set it to the lower rate and give you the opportunity to pay that. If you get a copy of the ticket feel free to PM me if you want any advice, as I do sort of know a bit about these things...

just trying to find if any other supporters recieved a parking ticket on the night of the leeds game,the road in question is the access road to the clayton green pub

reason i ask is that on the night in question i didnt find a ticket on my car but have recieved a letter from the council parkin mob saying the road in question is a restricted street with no parking at any time on it(may need to warn other supporters of this road)

Nice sig... not...

nothing suprises me with these twunts saw them putting a ticket on a car in the little layby opposite B&Q during the snowy weather the fact that it had one corner smashed in and two flat tyres on bent rims didnt seem to get through to them saw the young lady who owned it argueing with them as she said "how can i move it ?" there reply "its an obstruction not our problem love " it was half on half off the pavement at one end of the layby obstruction to what ?

I'd reccommend downoading one of the ebooks/guides available on the web about appealing against parking tickets. I got 1 called 'No More Parking tickets' and have used it to successfully appeal against 4 tickets issued in the last 18 months.

In their haste to get the thing typed out and slapped on your windscreen before you get back, its very common for them to make mistakes that render the ticket unenforceable. Its also very common for the road markings to be wrong. Apparently less than 1% of parking tickets are challenged but 60% of challenges are successful. Sometimes the council will just rollover and admit defeat as soon as you query the ticket because they don't have the resources to investigate and reply to you.

live nearby and have noticed these aholes giving tickets to mums and dads who kids play footy on clayton playing fields on sat and sun mornings

Are they parking on a car park / road where your allowed to park? Just asking like coz if they aren't then I'm glad they are getting a ticket. :happybday:

Edited by ritchie82

Are they parking on a car park / road where your allowed to park? Just asking like coz if they aren't then I'm glad they are getting a ticket. :happybday:

being a CEO in blackpool i can honestly say im surprised this road has not been targeted before as the number of car owners who leave cars there is crazy,doyou not know what yellow lines are for in oldham.

I didn't think the road in question had any lines of the yellow variety on there? If so, then as said, you shouldn't really park there.....but if there are no lines or signs and you aren't causing an obstruction then as LL says, you certainly want to look into it.

If you're not sure though next time, get y'self in Clayton green, pay your fiver an get y'self a couple of lager shandys on the voucher you get for parking there.

being a CEO in blackpool i can honestly say im surprised this road has not been targeted before as the number of car owners who leave cars there is crazy,doyou not know what yellow lines are for in oldham.

wasnt parked on yellow lines,was parked with plenty of other latics fans,and im askin the question to find out weather to tit on a moped selected the odd car or did every one in a moment a scamness

the photo provided only shows my reg nothing else as its dark as hell.no ticket on windscreen bla blah blah

We walk back down that road after the games and I do remember seeing more than 1 car with tickets on. My mate and I were chatting about it. It is double yellow on there, but that's the first time we've seen it.

Couldn't tell you if they all got ticketed but there was certainly more than 1.

its only double lines on the section towards the back of the car dealers not the stretch at the clayton green entrance

go to the game early tomorrow and check if there are any lines,and also any signs for parking restrictions,if you wasnt parked on a yellow line you may have a chance,if you was,then hard luck im affraid.

i normally park on b and q carpark,or a side street then walk under the subway.

go to the game early tomorrow and check if there are any lines,and also any signs for parking restrictions,if you wasnt parked on a yellow line you may have a chance,if you was,then hard luck im affraid.

i normally park on b and q carpark,or a side street then walk under the subway.

There doesn't need to be a sign for double yellow lines as it's a 24/7 restriction, I believe.

If there are double yellow lines and they've got pictures then they've got you by the balls and the best advice would be to just pay it and not park on double yellow lines again.

Here's that "No more parking tickets guide" that dude above was talking about:

http://www.nomoreparkingtickets.com/main.htm

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

You need to check for any notices on lamp posts or street signs. For sure here on the IOW there are roads with ''Restricted access'' Basically there needs to be plenty of room for emergency vehicles to access the road and attend to any emergency. If by parking in that particular spot you are causing a possible obstruction then you are at fault.

Having said that I think you will find that the council has a moral responsibillity to make sure that any parking restrictions that are made as a result of local by laws have to be made clear and there has to be a notice within 50 meters of the restricted area. If they havent done that then there is an argument that says you could not, in fairness, be expected to know it was a restricted parking zone.

Some roads with restricted access are obvious. If cars cannot pass each other along the road without having to pull in to let one by and traffic legitamatly parks along one side of the road, then there is a clear restriction of access and an offence is clearly committed.

Cul De Sacs are a very common example of roads that have restricted access, especially where there are commercial or recreational buildings at the end of the road. If cars are parked in such a way that access by Fire, Ambulance or Police vehicles is impossible or very diificult then there is a real danger and risk to life in the worse case scenario. Here on the island where many roads are single tracked or 3/4 wide there are signs and notices indicating right of way, parking restrictions etc.

There is a balance that has to be struck and an obligation on your part as much as the council's. It does not take a genius to work out that if cars are parked both sides of a road and it would be impossible for a large truck to pass down the road then you should have the common sense to realise that you could be causing an obstruction. If however, it is clear that even if cars are parked both sides of the road cars can pass each other by easily you have a case.

Its a bit different to the case highlighted where the girl was remonstrating with the warden about her clearly immovable car - I would hope that she would appeal against that ticket. The warden himself should be repremanded and given some training in customer care, that particulat incident is ridiculous and I cannot believe that a court would enforce a parking penalty in that instance

I do not believe the old story that a parking warden is out to issue as many tickets as he can or has a quota to meet. 99% of the time if you get a ticket then you get it because you know you were parked where you shouldnt. As in many jobs though you will come accross some people who apply the letter of the law ridgedly. There are I am sure though parking wardens that are either new to the job or not 100% up on local by laws who fix a penalty notice without checking that they have the right to do so.

You said you had not recieved a penalty notice, just a warning that the area is a restricted parking zone. In that case you do not have a penalty to pay and its a polite warning not to park there again. If so then I would respect that warning because it may well be that your reg details are held somewhere and if your vehicle is seen in a restricted area again then you will get a ticket.

I am sure it varies from area to area but I find that in many places if you arrive back and see a warden about to apply a ticket then its common sense to either admit your 'crime' and pay the fine or grovel and apologise to the warden, digging into your excuse reserves to come up with something convincing that might dissuade them from penalising you and give you a verbal slap instead.

But then maybe the easiest way to avoid a ticket is to pay the £3.00 parking charge in the official car park and walk two minutes to the turnstiles :huh:

Edited by IsleOfWightBlue

I'd reccommend downoading one of the ebooks/guides available on the web about appealing against parking tickets. I got 1 called 'No More Parking tickets' and have used it to successfully appeal against 4 tickets issued in the last 18 months.

In their haste to get the thing typed out and slapped on your windscreen before you get back, its very common for them to make mistakes that render the ticket unenforceable. Its also very common for the road markings to be wrong. Apparently less than 1% of parking tickets are challenged but 60% of challenges are successful. Sometimes the council will just rollover and admit defeat as soon as you query the ticket because they don't have the resources to investigate and reply to you.

AS I won't get to the pub if I give a detailed reply to all points, I will address a few here:

Far more than 1% of tickets are challenged, I think 60% is over-stating the rate of success at the initial stage but something like half which go through to the independant adjudicators are successful. This is not to say that you will be if you are banged to rights.

It is not uncommon at all for tickets to be issued to places which never were or have since been found to be unenforcable for a variety of reasons, from the signage being inadequate to the laws behind it having expired etc. Of course your average warden isn't always going to be up to date with all of this and it's fair to say that most people didn't enter the world with that as their dream job, so they are given out randomly at times.

A huge number of people think that common sense will get you off. Nope... You either contravened the relevant law or you didn't. A vehicle breakdown for instance shouldn't be enforced - but that is becuase it provides a statutory exemption, not because you feel sorry for them. The officer can still issue a ticket (he shouldn't really but he can) and the onus is then on the motorist to prove the exemption. There is something of a move at the moment to soften the approach, accept mitigation/reduced fees etc but this isn't univerasl accross the country.

It is rare these days for local authorities to be paying bonuses to wardens based on issuing tickets, as this has been a political hot potato for a good while now. It could well be that there is pressure on them to get some out, awt least to prove that they haven't been sitting in a cafe all day. Also depending on who runs the services and the terms of the contract and so on there could be different motivations from one authority to the next.

As has been said, the best thing is to park in somewhere you know to be safe and legal. If you park somewhere else, check the signs. If you get a ticket you think is unfair, check the location, check that the ticket is properly made out (there may be a whole big thing coming round the corner in this regards :unsure: ) and if you do challenge it keep a record of every call you make and every letter you send.