Oldham fans team - recent events

Many of you will have noticed the sudden and unannounced closing down of the OWTB FC sub forum. I know that there have been various PMs, including from myself, behind the scenes since this was done. I will state publically that I was extremely dissappointed that nobody thought to message or call me to even mention this, but what is done is done.

Put simply, I hope that this was a decision made in haste and without looking properly at the reasons why a seperate site has been set up. I copy below my PM sent to the site management which I hope adequately explains the situation from the perspective of the team management. I am aware that Rummy has been a supporter of the team since it's inception to recent times, and it was not insignificant that he was away from the owtb.co.uk boardroom when the events happened that led to the grief leading (briefly) to me and Clare leaving the set-up, so I am hopeful that we can work around this situation.

Some cooling off may be useful here and maybe we will resolve the differences which seem to have arisen. In the meantime, the Ginger Prince reckons folk are up for an Easter game so I will see what we can do, and we are on for Bury away. The show will go on :)

So what the hell happened there? If you are no longer able or willing to leave us use of the forum, then I am very dissappointed that you announced it by deleting/hiding threads with a huge amount of history in them, and closing an organistional thread when you knew we had a match this morning.

You may have been pissed off at the news that we are running a separate team website. Put simply, this gives us options and funtionality in several areas which OWTB cannot, particularly in terms of sharing personal data which we may not want to do on an open forum. And, especially following the incident where some of our players read offensive comments about us on their website, we need a place where prying eyes can't see. I know of at least 4 other team managers/organisers who are on OWTB already and there are probably more. We will be able to set up dedicated galleries, stats pages and so on (something which many other fans teams have although they may have their origin in a different fans forum). It obviously doesn't help that we have sometimes been unable to contact players who are banned from this site for none-football related reasons, although I don't see any of that as relevant to this action - or I would at least hope not?

This new site was never meant to replace all of the uses of OWTB.co.uk, we had still hoped to use this for match reports and general discussion, which would continue to keep the wider fan base aware that there is a fans' team which they are welcome to get involved in. It would also have continued to generate hits for the site.I had intended to have a discussion with yourselves about this when the new site was running a something like operational speed, which I thought would be the correct and polite way to go about it?

I'd be grateful for you thoughts.

At the end of the day we are all fans of Oldham Athletic Football Club and this official messageboard should be able to facilitate certain details for the fans team.

The messageboard has its own rules for users and the mods ban people for not complying with the rules.

I know from running the fans team in the 80's when message board facilities weren't available the difficulties in organising the matches and letting players have all the details. So surley, the 2 sets of organisers can get together to sort this situation out working on the basis we are all OAFC fans.

Whatever your problems with each other, individually or as separate organisations, get yourselves around a table on a match day and sort it out for the benefit of all.

Oh and whilst your at it arrange to get the protaganists from the "Rumours from the tunnel" thread at that meeting with you, have a pint, sort your differences out and grow up. :wink:

Cheers,

Harry

At the end of the day we are all fans of Oldham Athletic Football Club and this official messageboard should be able to facilitate certain details for the fans team.

The messageboard has its own rules for users and the mods ban people for not complying with the rules.

I know from running the fans team in the 80's when message board facilities weren't available the difficulties in organising the matches and letting players have all the details. So surley, the 2 sets of organisers can get together to sort this situation out working on the basis we are all OAFC fans.

Whatever your problems with each other, individually or as separate organisations, get yourselves around a table on a match day and sort it out for the benefit of all.

Oh and whilst your at it arrange to get the protaganists from the "Rumours from the tunnel" thread at that meeting with you, have a pint, sort your differences out and grow up. :wink:

Cheers,

Harry

Well said Harry

I know from running the fans team in the 80's

And veteran of those days, Dave Roberts, (Dad) has two caps for the current set-up! It's the only way OASIS have found to keep him sober at midday on Southern games :wink:

We're going to have a discussion and see if we can find a way ahead.

And veteran of those days, Dave Roberts, (Dad) has two caps for the current set-up! It's the only way OASIS have found to keep him sober at midday on Southern games :wink:

We're going to have a discussion and see if we can find a way ahead.

Veteran??? hahahahahaha

I'm talking hardcore veterans. Season 1979-80 and Paris 82. Ask Bob to comment on Paris.

Paris was the worst. Various meetings to precision organise the event. Meet Friday 4pm at C&A - drive to Dover to catch Ferry - arrive Paris midday Saturday - have a kip - get pis...... I mean have a couple of quiet drinks to be nice and fresh for the tournament on Sunday - Arrive tournament Sunday morning - Give the best you can (meaning get knocked out at the group stage) - get pis.... I mean have a couple of quiet drinks on the Sunday night to talk over the days tournament - monday drive back to Oldham via ferry at Calais.

All went to plan until we turned up at C & A to find 2 of the team had been arrested on the Thursday night for theft, trying to cover the cost of their weekend away. So we are 2 players down. And we were relying on 1 "traveller," Dennis Mac (rip) to meet us in Paris - he eventually turned up at the event about 10 minutes before kick off. How we ever got to the final only to lose on penalties to the Germans (Frankfurt) god only knows. Mind you the pis..... I mean quiet drink around the tents with the Germans on Sunday night was good fun.

You think you have problems with petty squables on a message board and having to send text messages etc? In the words of the monty python sketch... you lucky lucky b*st*rds.

Cheers,

Harry

Hahaha! Just what I were thinking!

Perhaps you and Captain Dingle might employ yourselves in an IT course, consisting of nothing more than how to read the topic of a thread you were about to open? I can't for the life of me see how it wasn't worded so as to let people judge whether it was a subject that interested them or not?

Perhaps you and Captain Dingle might employ yourselves in an IT course, consisting of nothing more than how to read the topic of a thread you were about to open? I can't for the life of me see how it wasn't worded so as to let people judge whether it was a subject that interested them or not?

Chill the fridge out Andy. It's a fans team at the end of the day so to have it descend into a tit-for-tat, stone-throwing, bedsheet-pulling storm in a teacup is kind of a bit pathetic really. You're all grown adults like.

I'm fairly interested on how the fans team do, only on a "Oh, they won then" sort of level. I think this even qualifies me to look at any thread regarding the fans team and make a judgement on whether I like the content or not.

Chill the fridge out Andy. It's a fans team at the end of the day so to have it descend into a tit-for-tat, stone-throwing, bedsheet-pulling storm in a teacup is kind of a bit pathetic really. You're all grown adults like.

I'm fairly interested on how the fans team do, only on a "Oh, they won then" sort of level. I think this even qualifies me to look at any thread regarding the fans team and make a judgement on whether I like the content or not.

Sorry, I had the painters in...

les.

Cheers,

Harry

i don't know if you remember harry who was the 1st supporters club team manager ! me and we played chelsea and lost 15-1 :blush: and found out who was that great player they had playing for them the only and only kerry dixon who went on to play for the real chelsea

Toys out of the pram and spat out dummies from both side's it would seem. Amazing what happens when you go away for the weekend. :)

There's been problems between the two for a long time. Most people who've been in the side for a while and those staff on here are well aware of different issues. Well before someone decided to do what most other fans teams do and create a site which gives them the opportunity to share pictures, reports, etc. Northampton have a dedicated part on their official site - there's even a match report from when we went there with 10 of us, when we were robbed by a 90th minute penalty equaliser for them. Preston have weekly video's on youtube from their games. Most other side's we've played against are the same. Latics fans team in comparison to all the others is relatively new so we've always been playing catch up so it was inevitable someone's decided to do this. Does seem to me like this has been coming and some people have just been waiting for the first sign to go ahead with it.

The bandwith excuse does sound a bit of a strange one. Yes, it does cost alot to run a forum but why would if you were looking at cutting down - get rid of one of the more active sub forums on the site when there's subforums which go unused for long periods of time. It doesnt make sense.

Who really care's though. The teams still going and we'll still be running around in all weathers getting kicked to peices by fat gobby scousers for many years to come.

Well done to the fans team on the 2-1 win against Stockport at the weekend. Bring on the Bury.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

The bandwith excuse does sound a bit of a strange one. Yes, it does cost alot to run a forum but why would if you were looking at cutting down - get rid of one of the more active sub forums on the site when there's subforums which go unused for long periods of time. It doesnt make sense.

There is a difference between bandwidth and data storage...

The busier the area on a site the more bandwidth which is used.... Its the amount of data being served out of the site...

If you have areas of the site being unused then that would be more of a pointless storage cost...

That said, a site with this much traffic should be paying for itself really...

Edited by oafc0000

Toys out of the pram and spat out dummies from both side's it would seem. Amazing what happens when you go away for the weekend. :)

There's been problems between the two for a long time. Most people who've been in the side for a while and those staff on here are well aware of different issues. Well before someone decided to do what most other fans teams do and create a site which gives them the opportunity to share pictures, reports, etc. Northampton have a dedicated part on their official site - there's even a match report from when we went there with 10 of us, when we were robbed by a 90th minute penalty equaliser for them. Preston have weekly video's on youtube from their games. Most other side's we've played against are the same. Latics fans team in comparison to all the others is relatively new so we've always been playing catch up so it was inevitable someone's decided to do this. Does seem to me like this has been coming and some people have just been waiting for the first sign to go ahead with it.

Who really care's though. The teams still going and we'll still be running around in all weathers getting kicked to peices by fat gobby scousers for many years to come.

Well done to the fans team on the 2-1 win against Stockport at the weekend. Bring on the Bury.

It was a pretty good game mate, shame you missed it. The winning goal was pretty good as well, a well worked corner which was smashed into the roof of the net from the edge of the box. Just wish it was me who scored such a wonder goal......Oh wait, it was :grin:

Oh, and the Marilyn Manson look-a-like who i had a "word" with was a very strange cookie. Honest ref, i didnt touch him :wink:

isnt that the first game you aint played in a while rocky? coincidence prehaps we won?

No. I've only played against Rochdale in probably the last four games or so. I missed both games against Crewe.

Have you practiced your throw in's yet, or have you finally been banned from taking them? B):grin:

I thought that one of the benefits of this messageboard was that the more it was used, the more it earns for Latics (payment for advertising bundles and clicks on those adverts etc).

Surely allowing more reasons to use the site is a positive thing?