iPod to PC

opinions4u

My old laptop (HP DV2000 with a dodgy motherboard) has given up allowing me to view the screen. Despite a couple of workrounds on Google and even one on here (for a Compaq) it will no longer respond. All the lights come on, it is working, but I can't see the screen.

It has around 3,000 tracks (mainly my own cd collection) well and truly stuck on it.

My iPod holds all these, but will only transfer a couple of dozen purchased files - not all the other stuff.

How do I transfer these tracks from my iPod to my new laptop without having to pay $25 for a new piece of software?

(Additional problem is that although plugging in the iPod to the new machine opens up iTunes, the iPod does not seem to exist in My Computer).

Old lappy is XP, new one is Vista.

Idiot guide appreciated !

Edited by opinions4u

I used to use a program called Ephpod: http://www.ephpod.com/

As I recall, it was quite simple to use and I never had any problems. I haven't used it for quite some time, though, so it's probably the case that there are better programs available.

Nice try - looks like they want to charge $20 - may be worth it as I've wasted 2 hours googling!

Is it possible that the screen could be goosed? If so you could plug it in to a monitor....worth a try.

Possible although unlikely given the history of the machine and previous fixes. And I'd need a new feckin cable to plug it in elsewhere.

Good call though - cheers.

Is it possible that the screen could be goosed? If so you could plug it in to a monitor....worth a try. I think what you are after is on Zorro's link at the top of the page.

Plugging a screen in, as Footy says, should allow you to keep using the old laptop at least as long as you're trying to get all your files off it.

As for moving your files from one Laptop to the other you could use an external HDD if you have one/know someone who does?

As for moving your files from one Laptop to the other you could use an external HDD if you have one/know someone who does?

Good call - there may be other benefits in getting one too.

Could I just plug the "blank" laptop in to it though without the benefit of a screen view?

(I love this board - even when the football's crap you can fix your life!)

Good call - there may be other benefits in getting one too.

Could I just plug the "blank" laptop in to it though without the benefit of a screen view?

(I love this board - even when the football's crap you can fix your life!)

You could plug the external HDD in, but you'd not be able to move your files without seeing what you're doing.

A decent HDD is this seagate (available here on play.com) for just over £50 but it depends on your needs. I would think you should be ok with this, but you can double the memory for an extra £15 if you think you'll need the space, and you might be able to find a better deal if you shop around online a little.

As for a screen, you can use any screen you may already have for a desktop PC - you just use the wire that's already there. I'm sure you must know someone with one if you don't have one yourself... maybe at work?