New Red Dwarf

ste1987

So then..What did people think of the new Red Dwarf if you watched it?

Thought it was good, but nowhere near as good as the oldies. Suppose shall see how it pans out over the 3 parts. I just didnt think it was the same without the 'canned laughter' either as you get in a sitcom?

Shall still watch the remaining parts anyhow! :)

So then..What did people think of the new Red Dwarf if you watched it?

Thought it was good, but nowhere near as good as the oldies. Suppose shall see how it pans out over the 3 parts. I just didnt think it was the same without the 'canned laughter' either as you get in a sitcom?

Shall still watch the remaining parts anyhow! :)

Agree with the bit in bold. It worked for the office because of the format it was released in but Red Dwarf needed it IMO.

I was quite disappointed with it but hopefully it'll improve.

Guest Scratch2000uk

The ship seemed a bit too clean for me and as said the sound wasn't right, but having said that i enjoyed it. :grin:

I watched about 3 older episodes after that :shock:

Wasnt sure i liked it at first, but then it grew on me. Looking forward to the next two!

I adore RD. It's the show I grew up watching as a kid. I can recite the first series by heart almost, sad I know.

I actually thought the writing/performance was really good. Much more akin to the early series - thank the lord they didn't stick with the awful set up they had for the latter series.

I thought the sets were, as above, too clean and tidy... the premise and fun think about RD was that it was the least useful people to be the last in the world and this lacked that feeling a little in it's set up. Also they overused the greenscreen/special effects a little. They are not needed on a show like RD - it's all in the story, characters etc. and not the sets... I admit I'm going to find my first season DVD later and have a watch I have an urge!

I was desperatley dissapointed with it. Really hope it improves tonight. All the above points are correct, needs the studio audience it was too clean etc. Red Dwarf is my favourite show ever i have all the dvds and have watched them way too many times. Hopefully the reason it didnt seem great was because due to the length the show it didnt have time to get into the swing of things. Bring on parts two and three and make me smile :grin:

I adore RD. It's the show I grew up watching as a kid. I can recite the first series by heart almost, sad I know.

I actually thought the writing/performance was really good. Much more akin to the early series - thank the lord they didn't stick with the awful set up they had for the latter series.

I thought the sets were, as above, too clean and tidy... the premise and fun think about RD was that it was the least useful people to be the last in the world and this lacked that feeling a little in it's set up. Also they overused the greenscreen/special effects a little. They are not needed on a show like RD - it's all in the story, characters etc. and not the sets... I admit I'm going to find my first season DVD later and have a watch I have an urge!

Yeah i.e. the special effects. I think they should have left them well alone, thats what i liked about the old seires with the use of props and that. It just didnt seem right with for example the first episode with a cgi robot near the beginning that rimmer was using, i thought it would have been better using a physical prop.

Yeah i.e. the special effects. I think they should have left them well alone, thats what i liked about the old seires with the use of props and that. It just didnt seem right with for example the first episode with a cgi robot near the beginning that rimmer was using, i thought it would have been better using a physical prop.

Agree 100% and having now seen the second episode I'm less impressed. I think there were some great gags in there but the story of alternate dimensions and finding themselves is a bit weak really.

However the viewing figures have been excellent by all accounts (2.2million watched the first show, breaking Dave's previous record by 1.2million!) and so perhaps a more thought out and extended series could be in the offing if this continues through shows 2&3.

Agree 100% and having now seen the second episode I'm less impressed. I think there were some great gags in there but the story of alternate dimensions and finding themselves is a bit weak really.

However the viewing figures have been excellent by all accounts (2.2million watched the first show, breaking Dave's previous record by 1.2million!) and so perhaps a more thought out and extended series could be in the offing if this continues through shows 2&3.

Yeah gotta agree with the story observations. My memory might be failing me but havent they already done a alternate dimension storyline before?

Like you say with the viewing figures, hopefully it shows that there is enough interest to justify another or more series and like you say leading to better thought out episodes!

To be fair i think the entire thing is an inside gag about trying to get a new series commisioned. I thought that the second episode was an improvment but they do need to go back to using props instead of cgi because if they continue to computer generate everything then it will be impossible to have studio audiences again and that is what RD needs. The fact that it was abit crappy always made it feel more british to me and i think thats why people loved it. Get it sorted doug!

To be fair i think the entire thing is an inside gag about trying to get a new series commisioned. I thought that the second episode was an improvment but they do need to go back to using props instead of cgi because if they continue to computer generate everything then it will be impossible to have studio audiences again and that is what RD needs. The fact that it was abit crappy always made it feel more british to me and i think thats why people loved it. Get it sorted doug!

Agree 100% with the bold. Thats what was good about it as we knew it was our own, one of them things thats 'quintessentially' (forgive my spelling if thats wrong) British. It my have been crappy but it was ours!!

There was nothing crappy about that!! :wink: :censored: hot. Loved it. Not as good as RD at its best but good all the same. And to have it back in any form is just aces. My mum's just been telling me how when I was ten I would entertain her friends who loved it by explaining story lines and stuff to them... made it really hit home how important it's been in me growing up and developing my love of comedy.

I think they've done more than enough to show that it could hold it's own as a new series. As long as they stay true to the older style it could be a winner.

There was nothing crappy about that!! :wink: :censored: hot. Loved it. Not as good as RD at its best but good all the same. And to have it back in any form is just aces. My mum's just been telling me how when I was ten I would entertain her friends who loved it by explaining story lines and stuff to them... made it really hit home how important it's been in me growing up and developing my love of comedy.

I think they've done more than enough to show that it could hold it's own as a new series. As long as they stay true to the older style it could be a winner.

I remember when i was around 8 or 9 i think, my friday night television primarily involved first shooting stars and then red dwarf, ah happy days!!! heres hoping to many more to come :)

Just watched all 3 episodes and have to say i was disappointed, wasn't the plot just the same as the

film of The League of Gentlemen..Apocolypse i think it was called.

Didn't have me laughing out loud like the majority of the early series

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By latter series did you mean 7 and 8?

I actually enjoyed series 6 on starbug, Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Legion are two of my all time favourite episodes!!!!!!

What did it for me in the 7th was the fact it went a bit too serious at times (like the episode when Kochanski came back into it) and the 8th although I liked it in parts, is not a patch on any of the other series, big mistake bringing the crew back in my opinion.