Joe uncertain over his future

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron Joe talks about tough decisions for the board and himself ("The chairman has a manager who has drawn four and lost four, and if I were him, I would not be happy with me").

He praises Taylor ("has running power, pace and goal threat") , Eadrley ("has to learn to defend better") and Wolfy ("has the movement and intelligence to be a power in League One once he regains match sharpness").

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...over-his-future

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron Joe talks about tough decisions for the board and himself ("The chairman has a manager who has drawn four and lost four, and if I were him, I would not be happy with me").

He praises Taylor ("has running power, pace and goal threat") , Eadrley ("has to learn to defend better") and Wolfy ("has the movement and intelligence to be a power in League One once he regains match sharpness").

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...over-his-future

Agree with that all, but Wolfy - come on WTF

I know ive just spat liquid at my screen. He just cant do it - his stature doesnt allow him to be a powerhouse player he isnt blessed with mega pace everytime he comes on any threat we did have goes and its been like this his whole caeer i cant belive he is still even a pro but hey ho the managers and coaches must see something we dont hes been at the club years and has never looked like he should be in the team

With all the injury problems such as he's had at the club in the last couple of seasons, most players would have been ousted long ago....The fact that he's still on the payroll should tell you something, he's obviously very well regarded by the coaching staff.

I reckon he could be very effective playing off a big striker!

We probably haven't seen the best of him and he could turn out to be a real gem given a good run in the side.... however, next season will be his last here if he can't remain fit.

With all the injury problems such as he's had at the club in the last couple of seasons, most players would have been ousted long ago....The fact that he's still on the payroll should tell you something, he's obviously very well regarded by the coaching staff.

We probably haven't seen the best of him and he could turn out to be a real gem given a good run in the side.... however, next season will be his last here if he can't remain fit.

Oh no another 2yr contract in the pipeline then?!

I've always liked Wolfy and he would play a lot better when playing off a big striker (I think he and Chris Porter would have been an excellent partnership) The only problem is his injury record, if he can manage to stay fit he does have something to bring to team and he will only get better, his lack of football due to injuries have slowed down his development, if gets a few decent runs in the team in the next couple of years he may finally fulfill his potential

I've always liked Wolfy and he would play a lot better when playing off a big striker (I think he and Chris Porter would have been an excellent partnership) The only problem is his injury record, if he can manage to stay fit he does have something to bring to team and he will only get better, his lack of football due to injuries have slowed down his development, if gets a few decent runs in the team in the next couple of years he may finally fulfill his potential

But regarding a contract next season, it has to be a 1 year max, that maybe extends to 2 should he make so many appearances, and would have to be on low basic wage/high appearance fee

Cannot fault Joe's assessment of his tenure - very honest. If it was any other manager there would not be a fan in the ground that would want him back next season....but because its Joe I think (rightly) that fans are willing to give him the benefit.

Also cannot fault the assessment of the £8m pair. As for Wolfenden....hmmm....not so sure on that one, that kind of talk could see a few folk not wanting Joe here next year :tongue1:

Cannot fault Joe's assessment of his tenure - very honest. If it was any other manager there would not be a fan in the ground that would want him back next season....but because its Joe I think (rightly) that fans are willing to give him the benefit.

Also cannot fault the assessment of the £8m pair. As for Wolfenden....hmmm....not so sure on that one, that kind of talk could see a few folk not wanting Joe here next year :tongue1:

I am just not sure about that - also the comment from Joe 'We have let players go and we are no worse a team for losing Hughes, Kabba, Liddle and one or two other loan players' - well I think that losing Hughes has made us a far worse side. His work rate was second to none and he could score goals.

As much as I like the man - I am just not sure about the manager :huh:

Guest FyldeBlue
I am just not sure about that - also the comment from Joe 'We have let players go and we are no worse a team for losing Hughes, Kabba, Liddle and one or two other loan players' - well I think that losing Hughes has made us a far worse side. His work rate was second to none and he could score goals.

The last game we won was at Millwall, in which Kabba linked with Hughes. The team also showed great character, getting the winner after losing a two-goal lead. After that result we were fourth, five points behind second and four points above seventh.

Guest FyldeBlue

Said it all when Joe sold Earl Barrett and replaced him with Brian Kilcline !!!!!!!!!!!! the start of the slide of OAFC from the prime to the present state I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming Joe entirely as others had more say in the signing of players and how much we paid etc....just somehow everything seemed to go wrong when Joe started spending big money and generally we ended up with all the cast offs.

Guest FyldeBlue

MATTY WOLFENDEN...........

Typical comments from the armchair pundits about Matty Wolfenden, Joe's views and many more to !...Matty is 5'9" and reportedly 11st 11lbs....what's wrong with that as a striker ?..some of very best strikers down through the last 50 years have been of that build and stature, when the lad gets a chance and full fitness we'll all see that Joe was right.

Paul Dickov 5'6" and 11st 9lbs - and a real little pain in everyone's arse for many years now.

Give the lad a fair chance, he's had so many injuries yet still comes back determined to save his career, a bit like Ernie Cooksey in build and can graft just as hard, just hope the diehards give him support rather than the slagging off some get... e.g. Dean Smalley on Saturday, what on earth is wrong with some of our Latics supporters ?... or is it just this age we live in ?

Wolfenden hasnt got the body to be a proffesional sportsman.

He should have left this club a long time ago.

But because he is still here he should be the first name on the outgoing loan list (thats if he can stay fit for more 48 hours)

Maybe Joe said that to help build/maintain the confidence of the (young) players he currently has in the dressing room?

Just a thought....

:idea:

Wolfenden hasnt got the body to be a proffesional sportsman.

He should have left this club a long time ago.

But because he is still here he should be the first name on the outgoing loan list (thats if he can stay fit for more 48 hours)

Neither did Juninho.

It is staggering that he has never been loaned out. My view of Wolfy is the majority view, he's :censored:. But then again there has to be some reason Joe, and others before him, think he has something to offer. So maybe we're wrong - to be fair to him he has never had a run in the team, but then to be fair again he has never earnt one. Also it is worth considering that he is probably amongst the lowest paid in the dressing/physio room.

A couple of months ago I would have adopted KUNGFOO'S approach to this topic......maybe I have too much faith in Big Joe? :lol:

Neither did Juninho.

It is staggering that he has never been loaned out. My view of Wolfy is the majority view, he's :censored:. But then again there has to be some reason Joe, and others before him, think he has something to offer. So maybe we're wrong - to be fair to him he has never had a run in the team, but then to be fair again he has never earnt one. Also it is worth considering that he is probably amongst the lowest paid in the dressing/physio room.

A couple of months ago I would have adopted KUNGFOO'S approach to this topic......maybe I have too much faith in Big Joe? :lol:

Good points well put. I think you speak for a lot of sensible people on here

It is staggering that he has never been loaned out.

Last season we needed him on hte bench due to injuries / shortage of strikers. Shez enjoyed sending him on with 10 minutes left when he had no time to get in to the game, let alone change it.

This season he's been injured most of the time.

My view of Wolfy is the majority view, he's :censored:.

I prefer "lightweight" as a description. Still leads to the exit door though.

But then again there has to be some reason Joe, and others before him, think he has something to offer.

Your lightbulb moment on motivation!