Our next manager

So where is this extra money going to come from????????

The only way we will have anything like the budget we have had this season is if Taylor or Eardley is sold, and that is assuming any transfer fees will be reinvested into the playing side.

This is just it-without outside investment and/or revenue from a redeveloped stadium, it isn't coming. And if it doesn't we can't think about promotion. We should focus more on battling relegation.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rochdale get forwards that score as they are playing a division below. See Steve Whitehall.

Exactly. People forget that we've had squads built on a shoestring before. They spent all their time at the wrong end of the table. For some bizarre reason some people seem to think it will somehow be different this time.

Some players come cheap for a reason: they're not very good.

Has he publically stated anywhere that he doesn't want it!

No, hence why I am not saying he doesnt want it. But all this "it has to be royle it has to be royle". At the end of the day the man is 60, has nothing to prove, and is not the most mobile. Is managing an average League 1 club on a budget something that would really appeal to him?

If we were going to offer Royle a transfer kitty and good wage budget then maybe, he will take the job on.

But given the lack of extra revenue from player sales and FA/League cup money, any manager that takes over will have to deal with a reduced wage budget. This is something Corney has stated more than once on Laticsworld.

This is just it-without outside investment and/or revenue from a redeveloped stadium, it isn't coming. And if it doesn't we can't think about promotion. We should focus more on battling relegation.

Exactly, hence my question to OAFC1955, where is this money coming from to fund the decent budget he seems to thing the next manager will get?

how do we know there isnt a good budget there in the pot already...

maybe the tta have a pot to one side ready for the right man

how do we know the tta didnt want to give sheridan buckets to spend

how do we know the tta were biding there time(waiting for an excuse to sack sheridan)

they have always said there is a little money in the pot so give it to joe tta

Gannon for me too. I can't see Jope being here next season because he's basically demanding a decent budget thrown his way, and TTA especially in the current climate are quite some way from meeting him on that score. Unless we get new investment within the next fortnight I get the feeling we'll be headhunting for a new gaffer during the summer.

So, who do we have as candidates?

Jim Gannon

I'd be happy with this fella, if only for bringing discipline into the team above anything. Bull in a China Shop about him, and can work with low budgets. He fits our criteria like a glove, and I'm sure TTA have earmarked him as a target. Daft not to.

Mark Robins

Errrggghhhh *spit* I hear you cry. Yes, I truly hated him too after that goal in 1990 but time's moved on since then, and for me it's dulled the pain somewhat. Do we let our pigheadedness rule common sense here and ingore what is a really decent manager? He's worked with literally nowt at Rovrum, and took over a practically relegated side. Since then he's had to contend with moving out of their natural home to a soulless running track (If you think BP is like a morgue, then you wanna get down to the Don Valley!) and fought back from a 17 point deduction to finish extremely respectably in Division 4. If it weren't for that they'd be right in the promotion mix. A remarkable feat IMO.

Keith Hill

I've been nothing short of impressed with what Keith Hill has built at Dale. While we've imploded, crashed and burned he's built a robust, pleasing-on-eye football team who play in the right way and make stars out of scrapheap players. Oh yeah, it's the FOURTH division again, but this is where we should be looking right now for someone to take over our pruned down budget and make us a respectable side fighting at the right end. Brilliant with the media, he's absorbing to listen to and talks complete sense, avoiding cliché and excuses.

Dave Penney

He wouldn't be my choice, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he ended up here. Did a fairly decent job at Darlington, getting them to the play-offs and previously has promotion on his CV with Donny. I can see a bit of grumbling coming from the fans if he gets the job so would be a bit of a risk.

Dave Pace

Outspoken and Marmite are two ways to describe him. He'd be the mega cheap Tesco Value option, and knows non-league like the back of his hand. I think it could work, if he could source some real quality from non-league. Probably more of a risk than Penney but what we would see is players fighting with passion and desire, even if they did overstep the mark regularly.

David Holdsworth

Stopped the rot bigtime at Mansfield time and now at his second non-league club. What he would do for us is tighten up that leaky defence of ours and have us well-drilled. As a bit of an unknown quantity at management level, I think he's got loads of potential and if he doesn't go anywhere I reckon Mansfield will be right back up next season after stabilising this year.

1) Corney has stated several times on Laticsworld that spending will be cut and they will not be able to spend anywhere near what they have been doing next season.

2) Even if there was a good budget to work with, whose to say TTA's definition of a good budget is in line with Joes idea of a good budget?

3) All well and good saying give it to Joe, but how do we know he wants the job beyond the end of the season? And if (or a case of when as some believe, including me) he does say no, then who are the mob going to turn to?

Gannon for me too. I can't see Jope being here next season because he's basically demanding a decent budget thrown his way, and TTA especially in the current climate are quite some way from meeting him on that score. Unless we get new investment within the next fortnight I get the feeling we'll be headhunting for a new gaffer during the summer.

Agreed regarding Jim Gannon and Mark Robins. Had it not been for the points deduction rotherham would have gone up automatically.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Jim Gannon

I'd be happy with this fella, if only for bringing discipline into the team above anything. Bull in a China Shop about him, and can work with low budgets. He fits our criteria like a glove, and I'm sure TTA have earmarked him as a target. Daft not to.

Mark Robins

Errrggghhhh *spit* I hear you cry. Yes, I truly hated him too after that goal in 1990 but time's moved on since then, and for me it's dulled the pain somewhat. Do we let our pigheadedness rule common sense here and ingore what is a really decent manager? He's worked with literally nowt at Rovrum, and took over a practically relegated side. Since then he's had to contend with moving out of their natural home to a soulless running track (If you think BP is like a morgue, then you wanna get down to the Don Valley!) and fought back from a 17 point deduction to finish extremely respectably in Division 4. If it weren't for that they'd be right in the promotion mix. A remarkable feat IMO.

Keith Hill

I've been nothing short of impressed with what Keith Hill has built at Dale. While we've imploded, crashed and burned he's built a robust, pleasing-on-eye football team who play in the right way and make stars out of scrapheap players. Oh yeah, it's the FOURTH division again, but this is where we should be looking right now for someone to take over our pruned down budget and make us a respectable side fighting at the right end. Brilliant with the media, he's absorbing to listen to and talks complete sense, avoiding cliché and excuses.

Dave Penney

He wouldn't be my choice, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he ended up here. Did a fairly decent job at Darlington, getting them to the play-offs and previously has promotion on his CV with Donny. I can see a bit of grumbling coming from the fans if he gets the job so would be a bit of a risk.

Dave Pace

Outspoken and Marmite are two ways to describe him. He'd be the mega cheap Tesco Value option, and knows non-league like the back of his hand. I think it could work, if he could source some real quality from non-league. Probably more of a risk than Penney but what we would see is players fighting with passion and desire, even if they did overstep the mark regularly.

David Holdsworth

Stopped the rot bigtime at Mansfield time and now at his second non-league club. What he would do for us is tighten up that leaky defence of ours and have us well-drilled. As a bit of an unknown quantity at management level, I think he's got loads of potential and if he doesn't go anywhere I reckon Mansfield will be right back up next season after stabilising this year.

all good suggestions but if we didnt have a guy who has more experience,knowledge and know how than all of them put together about getting this club of ours back were we belong litterally on our finger tips then id say yeah go for one of them.

all good suggestions but if we didnt have a guy who has more experience,knowledge and know how than all of them put together about getting this club of ours back were we belong litterally on our finger tips then id say yeah go for one of them.

Again, you are assuming that this guy (Joe) wants the job beyond the end of the season.

maybe the tta have a pot to one side ready for the right man

how do we know the tta didnt want to give sheridan buckets to spend

how do we know the tta were biding there time(waiting for an excuse to sack sheridan)

they have always said there is a little money in the pot so give it to joe tta

And I woke up with my head in my cornflakes! Shez Spent the pot

And I woke up with my head in my cornflakes! Shez Spent the pot

Which I imagine was largely funded by the money last season from the Cup run and Trotmans transfer fee, neither of which we have had this season

I am not saying 'I dont want Royle, but people need to wake up, smell the cornflakes and realise that Joe will not stay unless he is given a budget that is needed to overhaul (yes, overhaul, as in mass clearout) the team and improve us.

Quoted from todays chron/after saturdays game

"I was disappointed with certain individuals - and I won't name them – in their ability to learn.

"They make the same mistakes week-in, week-out and don't seem to learn from them.

"I am not one for shouting and running a boot camp but they have been gently reminded and it doesn't seem to be sinking in. And the answer, quite brutally, is to change them"

"There are decisions to be made about players and their futures, but it is clear what we have is nearer to a relegation battle than to a promotion battle."

Given that Corney has stated several times that they wont be able to spend nearly as much, and given we have had no income this season from player sales or cup runs, the likelyhood is we will not be able to afford to give Jow such a budget - unless maybe a player or two are sold in the summer.

Took over stockport in jan 06 when they were bottom of league 2 in his first season and kept them up.

Second season: missed out on a playoff position on goal difference after being no hopers the season before, again on a limited budget.

Third season: got them up through the playoffs.

This season has kept stockport in this division comfortably, despite being favourites for relegation.

Unearthed some gems from non league and stockports youth academy that have since been sold elsewhere for very good money, such as Liam dickinson and Anthony Pilkington.

Name me someone better who we could get

And please dont say Royle, alot of the mob are going to be very upset when they realise this sat was Royles last home game in charge

if gannon was eager to leave stockport and hes as brilliant as you say he is then i think there will be bigger clubs than oafc coming in for him in the summer

if gannon was eager to leave stockport and hes as brilliant as you say he is then i think there will be bigger clubs than oafc coming in for him in the summer

1) Gannon has publicly stated that hsi position at stockport is untenable, would not surprise me if he resigned, regardless of whether he has another club to go to

2) I am not saying I want Gannon over Joe, if we can give Joe the budget he needs to overhaul the team then great, but unless between now and next sat we get some outside investment from elsewhere, that isnt likely to happen, and the only

3) I'm not saying he is brilliant, I was asked by yourself what has gannon done, I answered your question. I am saying that given the likely budget of next season, as much of an arrogant tosser he may be, he is the best man for the job as he has a promotion on his record, reputation as a disciplinarian, would cost mimimal compensation, if any, can work with a small budget, can bring through youth team players and isnt afraid to take a punt on non league players (Liam Dickinson), but in all honesty it wouldnt surprise me at all if someone like Blackpool made a move for him

1) Gannon has publicly stated that hsi position at stockport is untenable, would not surprise me if he resigned, regardless of whether he has another club to go to

2) I am not saying I want Gannon over Joe, if we can give Joe the budget he needs to overhaul the team then great, but unless between now and next sat we get some outside investment from elsewhere, that isnt likely to happen, and the only

3) I'm not saying he is brilliant, I was asked by yourself what has gannon done, I answered your question. I am saying that given the likely budget of next season, as much of an arrogant tosser he may be, he is the best man for the job as he has a promotion on his record, reputation as a disciplinarian, would cost mimimal compensation, if any, can work with a small budget, can bring through youth team players and isnt afraid to take a punt on non league players (Liam Dickinson), but in all honesty it wouldnt surprise me at all if someone like Blackpool made a move for him

its obvious we both want what we think is best for oafc and imo tta must surely be getting itchy feet by now and i think the best way out of this would be experience and above all the names that have been mentioned you cant look no further than mr royle.

its obvious we both want what we think is best for oafc and imo tta must surely be getting itchy feet by now and i think the best way out of this would be experience and above all the names that have been mentioned you cant look no further than mr royle.

if he wants the job, agreed, but will be very very surprised if he takes it given what the budget is likely to be.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

People are forgetting that nearly EVERY club will be working with a reduced budget next season not just us!

So i think we will be comfortably still be in the top 10 budget wise.

I dont know why everyone is panicking about the budget i think it will still be one of the best in league 1

(if Royle takes the job) the difference between Royle and Sheridan is that Royle wont go and blow huge wages on :censored: like Windass, Hines, Byfield, Ormerod and Kabba

And then theres Lee Hughes, Andy Liddell wages we dont have to fork out now.

People need to stop panicking, we are in a far better position most clubs in this league.

Sign on the dotted line please Joe and get to work on your wheelings and dealings.

People are forgetting that nearly EVERY club will be working with a reduced budget next season not just us!

I dont know why everyone is panicking about the budget i think it will still be one of the best in league 1

(if Royle takes the job) the difference between Royle and Sheridan is that Royle wont go and blow huge wages on :censored: like Windass, Hines, Byfield, Ormerod and Kabba

People need to stop panicking, we are in a far better position most clubs in this league.

Sign on the dotted line please Joe and get to work on your wheelings and dealings.

here/here

Even if this somehow turns out to be true, it doesn't alter the fact that it will almost certainly be those clubs that are lucky enough not to have to cut their budgets and therefore spend most, and the recently relegated clubs with large fanbases, that challenge for promotion. Another season of hovering at the edge of the play-offs before petering out again due to lack of quality and depth will not bring in the necessary fans, and hence revenue, to advance any more than a relegation battle will.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Agreed that financially we probably are in a far better position than many,

And agreed if Royle does stay I think from experience he may be a bit more careful with the wages than Shez

And agreed that yes alot of clubs will have reduced budgets. However, then the likes of (promotions and relegations still pending) southend, mk dons, norwich, leeds, milwall, scunny, hudd, colchester, barnsley, plymouth, tsouthampton (if they can find a buyer) and even though their still struggling, charlton, will all have bigger budgets than us.

There is no way royle will stay to manage the club on a shoestring, at this stage in his career he doesnt need to. If he is given a budget he feels he can work with then he may stay, but unless a player is sold, the club will not be able to afford such a budget.