Our next manager

Agreed that financially we probably are in a far better position than many,

And agreed if Royle does stay I think from experience he may be a bit more careful with the wages than Shez

And agreed that yes alot of clubs will have reduced budgets. However, then the likes of (promotions and relegations still pending) southend, mk dons, norwich, leeds, milwall, scunny, hudd, colchester, barnsley, plymouth, tsouthampton (if they can find a buyer) and even though their still struggling, charlton, will all have bigger budgets than us.

There is no way royle will stay to manage the club on a shoestring, at this stage in his career he doesnt need to. If he is given a budget he feels he can work with then he may stay, but unless a player is sold, the club will not be able to afford such a budget.

i dont for 1 minute think royle will be asking for an unrealistic budget,,he will be asking for a budget, in his unrivalled experience,what he thinks will be neccessary to compete next season..if tta decide not to offer joe the budget required then i fear the worst,,imo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont for 1 minute think royle will be asking for an unrealistic budget,,he will be asking for a budget, in his unrivalled experience,what he thinks will be neccessary to compete next season..if tta decide not to offer joe the budget required then i fear the worst,,imo

And what Joe sees as a 'realistic' budget and what TTA see as a 'realistic' budget may be worlds apart

And what Joe sees as a 'realistic' budget and what TTA see as a 'realistic' budget may be worlds apart

if tta are serious about getting this club promoted and we find there is a big discepancy in the budgets either wanted or offered then i think tta need to find the money,,beg borrow or steal,because if we start next season with the team that finished this season then god help us..

if we start next season with the team that finished this season then god help us..

amen to that

aside from fleming, lee, allott, taylor, stephens (as he hasnt had a chance, if he gets one and turns out to be grap then get rid), the rest can go for all I care, as all are missing either ability, attitude or both.

And by no means should fleming, lee, allott, taylor or stephens be guaranteed to start the season as first team regulars.

Fully agree with oafcProzac that I do not want to see a side next year that is made up of same bottlers/cowards/imbillybigbollox players responsible for gutless performance after gutless performance this season.

Which I imagine was largely funded by the money last season from the Cup run and Trotmans transfer fee, neither of which we have had this season

I am not saying 'I dont want Royle, but people need to wake up, smell the cornflakes and realise that Joe will not stay unless he is given a budget that is needed to overhaul (yes, overhaul, as in mass clearout) the team and improve us.

Quoted from todays chron/after saturdays game

"I was disappointed with certain individuals - and I won't name them – in their ability to learn.

"They make the same mistakes week-in, week-out and don't seem to learn from them.

"I am not one for shouting and running a boot camp but they have been gently reminded and it doesn't seem to be sinking in. And the answer, quite brutally, is to change them"

"There are decisions to be made about players and their futures, but it is clear what we have is nearer to a relegation battle than to a promotion battle."

Given that Corney has stated several times that they wont be able to spend nearly as much, and given we have had no income this season from player sales or cup runs, the likelyhood is we will not be able to afford to give Jow such a budget - unless maybe a player or two are sold in the summer.

As I have suggested earlier.....Perhaps it's not such a bad idea to sacrifice your saleable assets for the future good of the team.

If we were to get a million + for Eardley and Taylor and give the lions share of it to Royle for new players maybe that would be enough to make the difference.

As good as Taylor is... his final ball still leaves a lot to be desired and I don't think he's going to improve much more now and a replacement for Eardley shouldn't be too hard to find!

amen to that

aside from fleming, lee, allott, taylor, stephens (as he hasnt had a chance, if he gets one and turns out to be grap then get rid), the rest can go for all I care, as all are missing either ability, attitude or both.

And by no means should fleming, lee, allott, taylor or stephens be guaranteed to start the season as first team regulars.

Fully agree with oafcProzac that I do not want to see a side next year that is made up of same bottlers/cowards/imbillybigbollox players responsible for gutless performance after gutless performance this season.

i cant understand if they are to offer joe the job,,then why the delay in announcing it.

maybe they have a man ready for the post but waiting for the end of season when his contract expires

any more guesses

jesus,,,i dont know the website but if this is right then i will drive them to goodison myself.....this would be a fantastic feat for the club

if we could get 1.3 mill for the pair of them that would still be a coup

But I think someone is having a giraffe with that

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Agreed that financially we probably are in a far better position than many,

And agreed if Royle does stay I think from experience he may be a bit more careful with the wages than Shez

And agreed that yes alot of clubs will have reduced budgets. However, then the likes of (promotions and relegations still pending) southend, mk dons, norwich, leeds, milwall, scunny, hudd, colchester, barnsley, plymouth, tsouthampton (if they can find a buyer) and even though their still struggling, charlton, will all have bigger budgets than us.

There is no way royle will stay to manage the club on a shoestring, at this stage in his career he doesnt need to. If he is given a budget he feels he can work with then he may stay, but unless a player is sold, the club will not be able to afford such a budget.

It wouldnt really bother me selling a player, in the long run it will be good for the club (budget wise), and we are a selling club anyway.

why would Royle be managing us on a shoestring? its a shoetring compared to Ipswich, City and Everton but this is division 3 and Royle knows that. People are reading far to much into the reduced budget, Andy Liddell and Lee Hughes were on very healthy league 1 wages but are not with us anymore and id even say Ferraira isnt coming cheap - more wasted money. And the clearout isnt over.

Of the clubs mentioned Millwall is the example we need to follow, good management on not a massive budget - perfect job for Royle.

The recession is going to hit every club from the ones coming from the championship to the ones who fail to go up this season.

Even if this somehow turns out to be true, it doesn't alter the fact that it will almost certainly be those clubs that are lucky enough not to have to cut their budgets and therefore spend most, and the recently relegated clubs with large fanbases, that challenge for promotion. Another season of hovering at the edge of the play-offs before petering out again due to lack of quality and depth will not bring in the necessary fans, and hence revenue, to advance any more than a relegation battle will.

That could work both ways for the relegated clubs, they could lose fans being in this god awful league, reduced attendances, the recession and still having to pay championship wages could have an affect on them. If you look at the league table there are plenty of clubs who were relegated from the championship and are in a worse position than us for getting out of this league. There is no way we will be in a relegation battle next season, TTA wont let that happen

That could work both ways for the relegated clubs, they could lose fans being in this god awful league, reduced attendances, the recession and still having to pay championship wages could have an affect on them. If you look at the league table there are plenty of clubs who were relegated from the championship and are in a worse position than us for getting out of this league. There is no way we will be in a relegation battle next season, TTA wont let that happen

I'm sure TTA wouldn't have wanted a relegation battle this season, but as Joe Royle acknowledges, that's what would have resulted had it not been for the early season form.

The relegated clubs I was talking about being well-placed for promotion are those with large fanbases. Most of these usually reside around the top of the table. They do lose fans but not to the extent that their crowds become as low as those of the smaller clubs, which means they generate more revenue to pay enough superior players.

They and the high-spending clubs with wealthy owners will be the ones who dominate the promotion positions. Sometimes a club on a tight budget sneaks in, but it's usually a club that, for whatever reason, seems to have forward momentum, whereas an air of despondency once again hangs over BP due to the fiasco of this season, the non-appearance of the stadium redevelopment, the realisation that the last three (if not four) seasons have been largely a waste of time and the dawning realisation that we seem destined to stay in the lower divisions.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I'm sure TTA wouldn't have wanted a relegation battle this season, but as Joe Royle acknowledges, that's what would have resulted had it not been for the early season form.

The relegated clubs I was talking about being well-placed for promotion are those with large fanbases. Most of these usually reside around the top of the table. They do lose fans but not to the extent that their crowds become as low as those of the smaller clubs, which means they generate more revenue to pay enough superior players.

They and the high-spending clubs with wealthy owners will be the ones who dominate the promotion positions. Sometimes a club on a tight budget sneaks in, but it's usually a club that, for whatever reason, seems to have forward momentum, whereas an air of despondency once again hangs over BP due to the fiasco of this season, the non-appearance of the stadium redevelopment, the realisation that the last three (if not four) seasons have been largely a waste of time and the dawning realisation that we seem destined to stay in the lower divisions.

First half of the season we were a promotion contending side in the division under Sheridan then the dip came, but the dip was nowere near as bad as it is now under Royle, i wanted Sheridan to leave but even if he was still in charge now we definately wouldnt be in a relegation fight.

Of the 3 coming down Norwich (it looks like they are) are the best placed to go straight back, as someone put in another thread they have sold 18k season tickets, which will be a godsend for the owners. Southampton (if they are still alive) are in no mans land with the vultures circling for there best talent and Charlton who with the squad they have now will not do much in league 1 with

My point is Charlton and Southampton have got big fan bases but i can see them spending a while in this league regardless

Of the 3 coming down Norwich (it looks like they are) are the best placed to go straight back, as someone put in another thread they have sold 18k season tickets, which will be a godsend for the owners. Southampton (if they are still alive) are in no mans land with the vultures circling for there best talent and Charlton who with the squad they have now will not do much in league 1 with

My point is Charlton and Southampton have got big fan bases but i can see them spending a while in this league regardless

Fair enough. We shall see.

Southampton are going to do nothing next season ok lets put that one to bed. IF they manage to survive the close season they start minus 10 points. Already players are looking for other clubs and there has already been an approch to the Conference to see if the club can join in the event of them losing their league place. The club is in total chaos and any idea of a take over or new buyers on the horizon are being laughed at down here. The whole fabric of the club and its financial affairs have already put off the one serious investor. Its absolute nonesense to suggest that they will be up there challenging for an instant return to the championship.

Charlton and Norwich will hope for a quick return and Charton for sure are in a healthy finaincial position so I believe. Norwich - Well a friend from Walsham (Norwich City catchment area) reckons that the purse is tight and that while they have sold a lot of season tickets its nowhere near 18k. It really depends on how many players they have to let go or how many will jump ship.