Our next manager

Its looking likely that we will have a new manager next year. The rumours are that the playing budget is not going to be the same as this season, so realistically who can we get??? Have we blown the best chance under TTA???? I fear whoever we bring in will not meet the expectations of the muppets parade who seem to think we have the right to win every game and sign the best players on crowds under 6000??? TTA are superb, but where do you draw the line with the finance? :ranting:

KEEPING THE FAITH!!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its looking likely that we will have a new manager next year. The rumours are that the playing budget is not going to be the same as this season, so realistically who can we get??? Have we blown the best chance under TTA???? I fear whoever we bring in will not meet the expectations of the muppets parade who seem to think we have the right to win every game and sign the best players on crowds under 6000??? TTA are superb, but where do you draw the line with the finance? :ranting:

KEEPING THE FAITH!!!!!

As we ain't going up in the next twenty million years, I'd draw the line at what we have now*. The basis of a half decent team at this level. Go loan a few players if you need them. Do what you can with what you've got. Time to cut costs to what the crowds can afford, not what TTA can afford to lose.

As for the manager. Erm, what are Crossley's credentials like? :unsure:

*Now being once we have got rid of the out of contract players deemed not necessary.

KEEPING THE FAITH!!!!!

I still reckon Joe will be here next season....with a very decent budget!!!

Love or hate the man, if the budget is going to be tight then it has to be gannon imo.

Cant stand him but unfortunately he is the best man for the job that is within our means when it comes to managing on a budget.

And oafc1955, what makes you think we will have a very decent budget?

Love or hate the man, if the budget is going to be tight then it has to be gannon imo.

Cant stand him but unfortunately he is the best man for the job that is within our means when it comes to managing on a budget.

why gannon...what has he done

Rescued Stockport from relegation out of the football league when the odds we're against them, took them up in the next season and now established themselves in League One in a very good position considering. All this on a next to no budget with a club constantly in danger of going under.

He's developed plenty of talent from the club, something which our young players (e.g. Allesandra) are'nt doing at the moment.

Enough??

No matter who we have as manager, cut budgets will, I'm afraid, lead to a decline that will lead to more cuts and further decline.

The 'muppets' who think the club ought to be achieving something are actually the ones who drive the club on. As they desert in droves due to a perceived lack of ambition, a new spiral of decline will set in, and, looking at it, we'll wonder why we were ever alarmed by what was happening to the club under Stott, Lees and Brierley.

To hear some people talk you'd think this club hadn't already repeatedly tried and failed to achieve promotion on the cheap.

Took over stockport in jan 06 when they were bottom of league 2 in his first season and kept them up.

Second season: missed out on a playoff position on goal difference after being no hopers the season before, again on a limited budget.

Third season: got them up through the playoffs.

This season has kept stockport in this division comfortably, despite being favourites for relegation.

Unearthed some gems from non league and stockports youth academy that have since been sold elsewhere for very good money, such as Liam dickinson and Anthony Pilkington.

Name me someone better who we could get

And please dont say Royle, alot of the mob are going to be very upset when they realise this sat was Royles last home game in charge

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Rescued Stockport from relegation out of the football league when the odds we're against them, took them up in the next season and now established themselves in League One in a very good position considering. All this on a next to no budget with a club constantly in danger of going under.

He's developed plenty of talent from the club, something which our young players (e.g. Allesandra) are'nt doing at the moment.

Enough??

not really no

has he got the capability to get a team out of this division on a shoe string budget

sc have had a good season,but hardly worried the promotion contenders

we need a proven manager...someone who can take that step to championship and beyond

its gotta be royle

Improved his side's position for each of the 4 seasons he's been there. Took them on in 92nd position and it's been onwards and upwards since then.

£2m in incoming transfer fees in 3 and a half seasons on an outlay (I think) of £500k.

Won a Wembley final.

Took the club to the verge of the play-offs to the Championship this season and it only went wrong when the club finances blew up on him and he had to selling Pilkington and McNulty, couldn't sign Davies or renew Gleeson's loan and was forced to take O'Grady on loan.

Probably a better record than Darren Ferguson when you look at it.

The might yet finish above Latics this season.

County are probably top of the table on points per £1000 of salary bill.

Gannon is the outstanding candidate after Joe Royle.

has he got the capability to get a team out of this division on a shoe string budget

Assuming a Latics shoestring is a bit larger than a Stockport shoestring the answer is absolutely YES.

Edited by opinions4u

not really no

sc have had a good season,but hardly worried the promotion contenders

we need a proven manager...someone who can take that step to championship and beyond

its gotta be royle

Where is the assumption come from that Royle actually wants the job beyond this season?

And Gannon has a promotion on his record for one and is a known disciplinarian, which is something we desparately need.

So I will put it to you, why not Gannon?

And what calibre of manager do you think a League 1 club on a budget would be likely to attract???

Joe has said in the press only last week that we have forward thinking and ambitious owners who simply don't want the club to stand still...they want promotion to the championship.

For the club to stay in this division for another two or three more seasons, would just be a disaster.

They'll know through Alan Hardy, that Joe, with his contacts and experience, could probably get us up within the next 2 years but they also know that he will need cash to do it.....I just have a feeling they will some how find a little extra money for a decent enough budget that will give the club a fighting chance of getting out of this division.

I just don't think they will want to gamble on yet another unproven managerial prospect....Joe at this moment in time is the best man for the job!!!

As we ain't going up in the next twenty million years, I'd draw the line at what we have now*. The basis of a half decent team at this level. Go loan a few players if you need them. Do what you can with what you've got. Time to cut costs to what the crowds can afford, not what TTA can afford to lose.

As for the manager. Erm, what are Crossley's credentials like? :unsure:

*Now being once we have got rid of the out of contract players deemed not necessary.

didnt we do that this year ? also if u cant afford to get good players in im not saying spend millions etc it just takes some common sense not to get shabby players in like windass krappa and the rest when the money can go else were get scouting in lower divisions for talent rochdale allways end up[ with decent scoring strikers wtf are thay doing wat we cant at a higher level

That doesn't make the job look appealing the Jim Gannon, does it?

Well i didnt mean it like that

I very much doubt TTA would pay another club compensation for a manager, hence would have to be someone who is either on a rolling contract (Gannon) or a free agent

Your holloways, inces, magiltons, are used to having some sort of a respectable budget. Are they going to come here knowing they will have to wheel and deal on frees and loans? Unlikely

I imagine even though our budget will be reduced, it will still be more than what Gannon will have to work with at Stockport.

And it was meant more as a dig at the "we want joe, if joe doesnt want it then mouriniho will have to do cos we are such a big club" mob

'Proven' managers wont come cheap, and will more than likely expect a budget that we cannot afford, hence we are realistically restricted to a manager who has some success on his CV and is known for doing things on a budget, or we take another gamble like we did with Shez and appoint a coach/no2 who wants a crack at management.

Even if it ends up being Gannon, if it's a Stockport-type budget, we will get Stockport type outcomes. I realise that we have in the past fifteen years been reduced to the status of the likes of Stockport and that, in a perverse way, this satisfies some Latics fans, but thirteenth or thereabouts in the third division, will not stop the mass exodus from BP (as we are seeing.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Joe has said in the press only last week that we have forward thinking and ambitious owners who simply don't want the club to stand still...they want promotion to the championship.

For the club to stay in this division for another two or three more seasons, would just be a disaster.

They'll know through Alan Hardy, that Joe, with his contacts and experience, could probably get us up within the next 2 years but they also know that he will need cash to do it.....I just have a feeling they will some how find a little extra money for a decent enough budget that will give the club a fighting chance of getting out of this division.

I just don't think they will want to gamble on yet another unproven managerial prospect....Joe at this moment in time is the best man for the job!!!

I dont deny that Royle is probably their first choice despite what todays chron says

But has Royle publically stated anywhere that he wants the job beyond the end of the season, if so please show me???

And re the budget, we went out of cup competitions early this season, wheras last season we made about 350k from our cup run, we also made 500k from the sale of trotman last season and we havent sold anyone this season.

And TTA have said like everyone, their business has been hit by the credit crunch.

So where is this extra money going to come from????????

The only way we will have anything like the budget we have had this season is if Taylor or Eardley is sold, and that is assuming any transfer fees will be reinvested into the playing side.

didnt we do that this year ? also if u cant afford to get good players in im not saying spend millions etc it just takes some common sense not to get shabby players in like windass krappa and the rest when the money can go else were get scouting in lower divisions for talent rochdale allways end up[ with decent scoring strikers wtf are thay doing wat we cant at a higher level

We didn't exactly do that this year. We didn't spend money, nor should we this year, but we didn't limit the club to be self-sufficient at a lower level which I feel we may be aiming to do in the near future, as TTA may choose to gamble with their own money less and less.

I think everyone from Sheridan to the players themselves realise the loans made did not work out for one reason or another. But , hey, that's life. I can't think we can completely abandon taking loan players because of it. We just need to be more selective - more young up and coming rather than seasoned and out of condition, for my money.

Rochdale get forwards that score as they are playing a division below. See Steve Whitehall.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Well i didnt mean it like that

I very much doubt TTA would pay another club compensation for a manager, hence would have to be someone who is either on a rolling contract (Gannon) or a free agent

Your holloways, inces, magiltons, are used to having some sort of a respectable budget. Are they going to come here knowing they will have to wheel and deal on frees and loans? Unlikely

I imagine even though our budget will be reduced, it will still be more than what Gannon will have to work with at Stockport.

And it was meant more as a dig at the "we want joe, if joe doesnt want it then mouriniho will have to do cos we are such a big club" mob

'Proven' managers wont come cheap, and will more than likely expect a budget that we cannot afford, hence we are realistically restricted to a manager who has some success on his CV and is known for doing things on a budget, or we take another gamble like we did with Shez and appoint a coach/no2 who wants a crack at management.

No, I realsie you didn't mean it like that. Although the question "would Gannon come to Oldham?" is by no means a "yes".

TTA need to realise that if they don't back Royle financially then the other options may actually be more expensive (compensation, salary and playing budget) AND/OR lower calibre.

Much as I agreed with getting rid of Shez, TTA got themselves in to this .... time to dig deep chaps.

I dont deny that Royle is probably their first choice despite what todays chron says

But has Royle publically stated anywhere that he wants the job beyond the end of the season, if so please show me???

And re the budget, we went out of cup competitions early this season, wheras last season we made about 350k from our cup run, we also made 500k from the sale of trotman last season and we havent sold anyone this season.

And TTA have said like everyone, their business has been hit by the credit crunch.

So where is this extra money going to come from????????

The only way we will have anything like the budget we have had this season is if Taylor or Eardley is sold, and that is assuming any transfer fees will be reinvested into the playing side.

Has he publically stated anywhere that he doesn't want it!