Season Tickets frozen ? doesnt look like it!

Maybe its a nice gesture??

My brother is entitled to a disabled season ticket because he is severley handicapped, but we dont want to sit at the back in the disabled seats so we get him a normal season ticket. He cant walk by himself, cant talk properly and has the mental age of about a 3 year old when he is 22. As you can probably tell he doesnt have the greatest of lives, but he enjoys going the football, so its nice to see the club offering something like this to those less fortunate. When he was smaller the guys on the turnstiles at the Chaddy End used to let him in for free. Not because they had to but just an act of kindness, which was always much appreciated by me and my dad.

Other clubs too have been brilliant, Tranmere still let him in free now, as did Wigan who let me and my dad in with him for free last time we went there. Bolton used to give his school free tickets for 5 kids and 5 helpers. Again nice gestures for people less fortunate.

As for helpers getting in for free, if you havent looked after a severly disabled person let me tell you, you havent got a f**cking clue how difficult it can be, so again maybe the club recognise this and have decided to give these people a well earned break.

Sorry for the rant, we dont even take up the offer, but i find it shocking that people cant even understand why the club might offer this to disabled people. I dont think they should be entitled to it, and I am sure they dont either, like I say a nice gesture from OAFC to those less fortunate and for the people who take time out of their lives to look after them!!

All good points Wozz. I just wanted to point out (as it's me you've quoted) that it wasn't me who mentioned the 'helper' thing.

I suppose my original post may not have been as thoroughly worded as it might have been. I suppose the point I was thinking of was a mixture of why should a disabled punter pay less than an abled bodied fan, but partially that question was asked in the light of the original post which seemed a little churlish in view of the fact that a £39 increase on the price of a disabled ST still represents something like a 50% saving on standard admission.

I should have probably clarified the point more carefully originally.

Your point about your 'not thinking that disabled people should be entitled to a discount' clarifies the point a bit better. I suppose it's about expectation (or lack of as may be the case).

For what it's worth I personally think it's a good thing that the club DO offer a discount. I just thought that drphibes original post seemed a bit off. It seemed to take the negative view of a complaint about price going up, rather than the positive of thinking that they've had a discount of say 60% on standard admission for the last 3 years, but they are only getting 50% this time.

Edit: Sausage fingers

Edited by danoafc

"Disabled" covers a big range of conditions. It may be someone who is in a wheelchair but has a well paid job and is pretty mobile independently. Or it may be someone like Wozz's brother who needs a lot of care and support and whose quality of life isn't that brilliant.

Any organisation that provides discounts runs the risk of displeasing some and it really is a case of trying to get the balance right. I think Latics generally are quite sensitive to issues and I'd rather they erred on the side of compassion.

In response to danoafc, my main issue here is the simple fact that the club have made it known in public that prices are frozen. I take it that that means everybody will pay the same next season and that will nodoubt include all reduced tickets for Juniors and Senior Citizens. I hope you dont think I am harping on about the actual price because I do appreciate that the club do offer this discount and it does represent good value for money. I am waiting for Alan Hardy to email me back and hopefuly he will be able to explain the situation.

In response to danoafc, my main issue here is the simple fact that the club have made it known in public that prices are frozen. I take it that that means everybody will pay the same next season and that will nodoubt include all reduced tickets for Juniors and Senior Citizens. I hope you dont think I am harping on about the actual price because I do appreciate that the club do offer this discount and it does represent good value for money. I am waiting for Alan Hardy to email me back and hopefuly he will be able to explain the situation.

Fair play Doc.

I recieved another letter today and below is what was contained.

Dear Supporter

Over the past few seasons and after consultation with the disabled supporters representative, it was agreed to bring the season ticket prices fore disabled fans in line with those of able bodied supporters.

This year will see a further adjustment and this will continue until the wheelchair dsabled price s in line with the normal price. This ation is required so that we are able to meet non-discrimination requirements.

We will of course continue to provide carers tickets free of charge for wheelchair disabled.

I have enclosed a renewal form with all the details on and we look forward to receiving your application in due course.

I have no idea who this "disabled representative" is but I can state that nodody I know voted this mysterious person into the position they hold and they cannot be much use because they have never ever shown their face asking how we are getting on or is there anything that they can help with. It appears the only thing they have done is negotiate a massive price increase. If the club are using the point of non-discrimination then I would think that all concessions will now be a thing of the past ? Does this mean that from now on senior citizen and junior tickets will go up to full price so they are not classed as discrimination ? With the busy week at BP I have yet to recieve a reply from Alan Hardy but it will be interesting to see what his thoughts are on the price increase and also who elected this waste of space disabled rep ?