penneys initial thoughts

wondering what his initial thoughts are at the moment...did he leave the ground yesturday with an air of optimism about the current crop or will he be thinking gonna be a long summer in the transfer market..didnt go yesturday,so what was the overall performance like and besides brooke who else will have caught his eye

wondering what his initial thoughts are at the moment...did he leave the ground yesturday with an air of optimism about the current crop or will he be thinking gonna be a long summer in the transfer market..didnt go yesturday,so what was the overall performance like and besides brooke who else will have caught his eye

if he isn't looking to change things around ..he is the wrong man for the job...this team isn't good enough we have some promising youngsters who don't perform week in and week out

the midfield is tripe and as we stand at the moment we havn't got a striker..i am useless at reading games formations etcetera but even i can see the problems that lie ahead...

consolidation is his number one priority next term,no doubt mr royal---royle will have presented him with a dossier of who is for the chop,

they might of kidded sheridan but mr royal-royle is a lot older and wiser man...no way hose could they have pulled a fast one with joe..

looking at the darlington website mr penny is shrewd and ruthless so expect his own men and players in sooner rather than later..

in my opinion the chairperson's couldn't of picked a better manager to overhaul a shambolic and non functioning team and steady the ship..

so much looking foreward to next season ..couldn,t give two fcuks if we lose more than we win..at least with mr penny in charge i know that the shirkers will have gone and commitment and a desire to win hopefully will be installed into dave's team...

proud to be a blue

Starting off with keepers I'd say he'll need to get working on Fleming over the summer. He's a very good shot stopper but his kicking can be poor at times, also has mad rushes misjudging when to dive at players feet to get the ball. We were caught out yesterday and he's got it badly wrong so many times, conceeding so many penalties and it's a miracle he's only been sent off once. I don't think Ollerenshaw will be ready for first-team action. I think he will look to bring another keeper in. Someone with a bit more experience than Fleming.

Full backs Eardley is first choice right back, don't think he'll need to strengthen there, Lomax can be his deputy, put in a good shift yesterday but I don't think he could a regular in the team like he has this season, although if called upon I'd be happy enough to see him play. We need someone in at left back for the start of the season, Black looked quite off the pace which was disappointing as I thought that position would have been his by now. Get Black playing some regular football be it in the reserves or out on loan.

Gregan will be highly recommended by Joe so we'll see if he gets a new contract, Hazell will be around but I think he might look to bring in a central defender as I don't think Greegs and Hazell are playing well together at the mo. Maybe Stam to leave?

Left midfield is sorted with Taylor should he not be sold in the summer, right midfield is a bit more difficult Smalley setup the winner yesterday from that position but we know he can do some stupid things. He might start there at the start next season or Penney might look to bring someone else.

Central midfield may need some sorting out, just not good enough at controlling a game I think. Most of yesterday we bypassed it. I think Maher will be gone whatever happens, Allott is a good enough player to be in the squad but not all season, Whitts can go missing but he can bag a few goals, had some decent opportunities. Lee is looking a good player but needs to improve on his fitness obviously, Stephens has looked good when I've seen him, maybe these two can step up next season. Think we need something special in the middle though, someone to make a difference. Kalala will be gone.

Upfront we need players! Brooke was amazing but he won't be able to do that every week, Allesandra has gone off the boil but he has the ability and Wolfy may stay but I just can't see him cutting it at this level. O'Grady I suspect will be gone. He's played a lot of games for different clubs and hasn't scored 5 in that time?

So I'd say Stam, Maher, Kalala, O'Grady and maybe Wolfenden to leave.

Incoming we need a keeper, left back, centre back, centre mid and a couple of strikers. We might need another winger either side.

like has been said,he will have made a few decisions yesterday based on what he has spoken to joe about,the big fella will have made a comprehensive dossier on who is and who isnt good enough.

i fully expect him to bring in about 4 of his players from darlington,as he knows how they train,there work rate and enthusiasm,after all if they hadnt gone into admin they would more than likely be preparing for the playoffs.

he will bring in his own coaching team,a new brush sweeps clean and all that,think it will start next week in earnest.but i am expecting big changes all over.like people have said,we cant score and we cant defend,and we have no bite or forward movement in midfield...so barring 3 or 4 players,full new team.

anybody who thinks if we keep these current players and add 4 or5 we will be world beaters arent all there.

Agree with most of whats been said, just cant believe the thread starter didnt title the post 'a penney for your thoughts' :grin: missed oppurtunity! lol

i was going to do that one. :shock: anyway latics fans no doubt will be glad of the CHANGE. :wink:

if he isn't looking to change things around ..he is the wrong man for the job...this team isn't good enough we have some promising youngsters who don't

so much looking foreward to next season ..couldn,t give two fcuks if we lose more than we win..at least with mr penny in charge i know that the shirkers will have gone and commitment and a desire to win hopefully will be installed into dave's team...

Losing more than you win is surely an indication that desire alone is not enough.

Pawel as family in Oldham on his wifes side, Royton I believe ! so I would imagine that would be a cracking move for him.

It's funny how people get excited about signing a 4th division player who's been injured all season.

I doubt reaction would be so positive if he was from the Championship.... :lol:

It's funny how people get excited about signing a 4th division player who's been injured all season.

I have no idea if he's any good or not.

I'm just always wary of players stepping up a division (its a big ask) or stepping down a divsion (usually means they're past it).

Doesn't leave much though, does it !!

i think people are getting excited because he is a decent proven scorer,and has played at a higher level than he is now..

i remember watching him rip our defence to shreds in a match once,were we got well and truly tatered by him.

yes he has been injured a lot this season,but comes back with a bang in a game at the end of the season,if we did sign him he is head and shoulders above wolfy and lewis,and probably a lot more exciting to watch than omerod,kabba and byfileld.

unfortunately we not able to sign world class players.

i think people are getting excited because he is a decent proven scorer,and has played at a higher level than he is now..

i remember watching him rip our defence to shreds in a match once,were we got well and truly tatered by him.

yes he has been injured a lot this season,but comes back with a bang in a game at the end of the season,if we did sign him he is head and shoulders above wolfy and lewis,and probably a lot more exciting to watch than omerod,kabba and byfileld.

unfortunately we not able to sign world class players.

Sky Sports linking Latics with Abbott and Billy Clarke

Abbotts record speaks for itself. Quite impressive if you ask me.

PRESTON 2002/03 Starts 7 Goals 3

BURY 2002/03 Starts 19 Goals 6

PRESTON 2003/04 Starts 2 Goals 2

HUDDERSFIELD 2003/04 Starts 13 Goals 5

HUDDERSFIELD 2004/05 Starts 38 Goals 27

HUDDERSFIELD 2005/06 Starts 30 Goals 14

HUDDERSFIELD 2006/07 Starts 9 Goals 5

SWANSEA 2006/07 Starts 9 Goals 1

DARLINGTON 2007/08 Starts 19 Goals 9

DARLINGTON 2008/09 Starts 15 Goals 8

I dont know if it has been updated after Saturdays games, if it hasnt his record this season is Starts 16 Goals 10

SIGN HIM UP!!! :grin:

I dont know if it has been updated after Saturdays games, if it hasnt his record this season is Starts 16 Goals 10

Who should we play for the other 30ish games a season that he doesn't play?

Looking at that record a 20 game a season Pawel Abbott will score more than the strikers we already have.

Its about keeping him fit isnt it, offer him a one year with an option of another depending on appearancies - jobs a gud un

Agree on most part.

However, Left Midfield is NOT sorted. Chris Taylor is not a left midfielder.

Chris Taylor IS a left midfielder. What else do you think he is, a binman? A tax consultant? He's played that position far more than any other, second top scorer this season, in the divisional team of the season, Everton and Villa in a fight to sign him as captain. Clearly he is being wasted.

Next you'll be saying he isn't ginger!

strawberry blonde I was told.

Have you seen him kick with his left foot? It is quite obvious Chris Taylor will do more damage on teh right hand side where he clearly feels more comfortable.