New PC Advice

Lookers_Carl

Kk need some advice regarding a new PC

My cousins PC went kerplunk recently and he is on the lookout for a new one. Need some 2nd opinions.

Basically he is looking for a desktop PC capable of running games, not necessarily the latest and greatest (think the most demanding one he has is call of duty: world at war)

Hence dedicated graphics card pretty much a must.

Best deals I can find seem to be Dell, was looking at spending round about the £600 mark, 650 absolute max.

Any advice/recommendations would be helpful

PS: Building it myself/ourselves not an option.

Budget?

I was thinking 600 would be the cheapest but his mum, who is paying for it, has said 500. Think he already has a monitor though so would be base unit only

Made her aware for that price she wont get one that will run the latest and greatest games, but should run what he has well enough

Edited by Lookers_Carl

I was thinking 600 would be the cheapest but she has said 500. Think he already has a monitor though so would be base unit only

Made her aware for that price she wont get one that will run the latest and greatest games, but should run what he has well enough

Is your cousin trans-gender? You've said he/she about a dozen times there! :lol:

Good games machine needs a hearty chunk of RAM and a decent Graphics card... it might work out cheaper to buy a decent machine for a bit less and then add in a better card.

Is your cousin trans-gender? You've said he/she about a dozen times there! :lol:

Good games machine needs a hearty chunk of RAM and a decent Graphics card... it might work out cheaper to buy a decent machine for a bit less and then add in a better card.

well my cousin is a he (see edit), but its his mum with the £££ and she has said 500 max.

They already have a monitor, was looking at either this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161928

or this one (the one for 499)

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products...=dthp&s=dhs

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Get yourself a Vista recon for about 200 sheets, a Sapphire 1950 PRO 512mb gfx card - they're about 2y-o now but excellent value these days for a top end card, in the region of £80-£90. Accept no less that 4gb of memory. I reckon I've saved yer £150 there...

The 9950 CPU has been replaced by AMD x4 810 II, a custom built PC to the same spec as the Mesh :ranting: (by your local company and Latic's fans as well) is £477.00 :shock:

Specification:

AMD approved socket 940 motherboard

AMD x4 810 II CPu + heatsink & fan

4.0gb of DDR II memory (although the system can only read 3.0 gb of it, Windows 32bit operating fault)

500gb SATA II hard dirve

1.0gb nVidia 9500GT PCi-Express graphics card

Samsung 22x DVD-ReWriter

Internal card reader

Exec style ATX casing

Windows VISTA Premium with COA & disc.

£477.00 inclusive

If your interested contact Nathan on 0161 287 8877

Regards

Ian G.

PS We can custom build to any price or specification.

nVidia 9500GT = gash. The 9500 is a budget product fitted by mainstream builders, that gets taken out sharpish by the users when they realise it's not a performance card.

Build it yerself Carl.

Numero uno - my bro has a laptop from dell with vista 32 bit and 4gb ram, and vista recognises all 4GB

Numero dos - the ATI HD 4670 is a much better card than the one quoted in the PC assist system

Numero tres - the OS quoted in the mesh system is the 64 bit version of Vista, so seeing all 4GB Ram wont be a problem

Given the choice, I would go for the mesh system

Thanks all the same

Edited by Lookers_Carl

64-bit can be a bit picky about which software it allows to be installed or run, for the home user I would stick to a 32-bit as there would be no point paying a few hundred quid for a machine that doesn't run what you want it to do.

My work pc is running 64-bit xp with 5gb of ram in it in a weird configuration as I use several virtual machines and it only sees 4.7gb of it, it doesn't like itunes (quite sensibly!) and whinges about it not being the 64-bit version even though that is what was installed. There were a couple of other bits and pieces that it didn't like but I can't remember off hand. Plus it tends to run a lot of stuff in 32-bit mode so it has to run a 32-bit wrapper to make them work. All in all I wouldn't use this in a home setting as it isn't suited for that market.