oldhams shame

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it is shameful. but i want to know if these figures exist, particularly as i have an armcahir red mate who says there are very few oldham fans in middleton. anecdotally i know quite a few, but anecdotes dont settle arguements.

What would an 'armchair red' know about support for Latics - he needs to get out more!

I reckon that will change as according to the MEN or somewhere the new development in Bury which is going to have shops, restaurants and a cinema is the second biggest construction site in the country behind the Olympics. Bury has what Oldham has plus a Marks and Sparks, a Waterstones, and better quality than what you have in similar stores in Oldham and most of it is within walking distance of each other- I wouldn't want to walk to the nearest Tesco/Asda from Oldham town cente but you can in Bury. Plus since Bury has a metro it has probably better transport links.

You've shown there that you do often visit Oldham so I don't know how you can comment....another one falling for myths and legends.

Sainsburys is bang in the middle of town.

There's quite a big Waterstones too alongside Primark, H&M, a massive Debenhams, a large HMV and quite a few other big high street retailers that you don't find in many other similar sized town centres....

You've shown there that you do often visit Oldham so I don't know how you can comment....another one falling for myths and legends.

Sainsburys is bang in the middle of town.

There's quite a big Waterstones too alongside Primark, H&M, a massive Debenhams, a large HMV and quite a few other big high street retailers that you don't find in many other similar sized town centres....

Your right I don't often visit Oldham- if I'm in the area I live/stay about equidistant between Oldham and Bury (in terms of travel time) and I go to Bury more. I know about Sainsbury's I left it out of my argument (Sainsbury's and Tecso are much of a muchness anyway). Bury has all that you've mentioned (with the exception of possibly the Debenhams) but I would still prefer Bury for my shopping if only for one reason it has a Marks and Sparks. When Oldham gets one of those Oldham can claim to be on a par with Bury until that point it can't. I don't fall for myths and legends I use my own eyes and in my opinion Bury is better for shopping than Oldham. But given I'm on an Oldham messageboard I'm probably in the minority.

I thought we'd concluded that a mere 500 STs bought in an urban area within a 3-5 mile radius of BP is shameful.

No you've concluded that Diego. Yes Middleton is close to BP and yes its closer than the likes of Saddleworth but 500 tickets in a small town where the club don't do anywhere near as much promotion as it should is not bad. The club doesn't have that many season ticket holders and if Middleton provides a decent percentage of those then good for it. The population of Middleton is about the 60-70 thousand mark, and it wouldn't surprise me that there aren't that many residents with season tickets to any sports team plus many Middletonites identify themselves more with being from Manchester or Rochdale than Oldham so its not their town team.