oldhams shame

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MANCHESTER :ranting: Don't think so my friend.

We want to be on our own RMBC do cock all around here,Yes the place is a :censored: hole but the council want everything for Rochdale,We might be having the biggest Tesco's in the world built,but we will still be Rochdales poor relation..........

Back on topic.....In the glory years there used to be special buses running from midd to B.P,latics stuff on every other car that passed you by,now theres me,a few posters on here and semoore(even he lives in chadd) :disappointed:

Dunno Midd got some good junior football teams and they put quite a bit of money into Bowlee playing fields. Something Rochdale and Manchester Council do better is provide decent football pitches for teams to play on.

500 eh? That sounds a nice, round, plucked out of the air figure...

Tameside account for 362 fans...I counted them all myself...

When did you do the count? It could be 363 as I moved to Denton recently. Another confusing place, Manchester in the address, M postcode, but Tameside Council.

MANCHESTER :ranting: Don't think so my friend.

We want to be on our own RMBC do cock all around here,Yes the place is a :censored: hole but the council want everything for Rochdale,We might be having the biggest Tesco's in the world built,but we will still be Rochdales poor relation..........

Back on topic.....In the glory years there used to be special buses running from midd to B.P,latics stuff on every other car that passed you by,now theres me,a few posters on here and semoore(even he lives in chadd) :disappointed:

Fair enough, my point was taken from a letter in the M.E.N I think. It was along the lines of anything was better than Rochdale as they wouldn’t invest in the area. Have a lot of family in Middleton and know a few people to and yes there are quite a few of people who support Oldham simply as it’s quite easy to get to. It’s crying out for Investment and I for one think with a proper plan could see Middleton being turned into the Sale or Didsbury of North Manchester. I repeat though, with proper/significant investment.

middleton wants to be an independant,on its own...when it was run by manchester council langley was spawned and got the dreggs of manchester council estates,it was used as an overspill estate,somewhere to put the numptys so to speak.

manchester council didnt want the upkeep of such an estate and a town that was pretty far from it so a deal was done with rochdale coucil to take over x

Wrong on both counts. Originally, so-called overspill council estates, like any others, housed for the most part perfectly decent people who had to be rehoused somewhere away from their original neighbourhoods due to slum clearance and the lower density of the replacement housing. The decline of many of these overspill estates, like the decline of their equivalents in the inner-cities and so on, are due to a variety of social factors and economic change/decline.

The redrawing of local boundaries was done mostly with bureaucratic efficiency in mind. Langley began its decline long before this took place. As if Manchester has a shortage of rough estates within its boundaries anyway.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

It just goes to show that it means nothing how many people live inside a particular postcode or borough. Oldham isn't a distinct town in the way that Burnley or Preston for example are, it's not necessarily how people define themselves or their loyalties.

In what way is Oldham less distinct as a town than Burnley, Preston or anywhere else?

Fair enough, my point was taken from a letter in the M.E.N I think. It was along the lines of anything was better than Rochdale as they wouldn’t invest in the area.

Well they gave Middleton a new bus station rather than Rochdale.

There's been a sign at the bottom of drake street for 2 years now about "the regeneration of rochdale." - cock all has taken place since that sign went up and it's still the zombie walking town as 5/10/15 years ago.

Middleton's got a better shopping centre than Rochdale does. So I fail to see how a few on this thread have moaned about Middleton being overlooked by Rochdale council - when Rockerdale itself gets more overlooked.

Wrong on both counts. Originally, so-called overspill council estates, like any others, housed for the most part perfectly decent people who had to be rehoused somewhere away from their original neighbourhoods due to slum clearance and the lower density of the replacement housing. The decline of many of these overspill estates, like the decline of their equivalents in the inner-cities and so on, are due to a variety of social factors and economic change/decline.

The redrawing of local boundaries was done mostly with bureaucratic efficiency in mind. Langley began its decline long before this took place. As if Manchester has a shortage of rough estates within its boundaries anyway.

i worked as a taxi driver in middleton and on langley for 9 years.....yes there are lots of decent people on there,but there is more noobs than decent folk,hence the decline hence the less being spent until it its now owned by bowlee park estates and lovell homes.

so dont try and paint a glossier picture than it actually is.

lived in midd for 12 years,and although it has some decent parts the town is in need of doing up all over,and not just the affluent parts.

yes there is a brand spank new bus station and arena,but it will soon have a massive tesco built,bigger than the new one in oldham.

this will kill the shopping centre unless there is a big increase of proper shops moving into the arndale rather than cheap shops,pound shops n over priced cafes.

it has great potential,and also has great potential for future fan base if the club decide to re-market its self and take advantage of fringe town support.

In what way is Oldham less distinct as a town than Burnley, Preston or anywhere else?

Leave Preston in any direction, and you are in firlds. Try the same exercise in Oldham and where are you? The boundaries of Oldham have little significance to people's lives other than the name on their bin and their council tax bill.

Unless Middleton has had a whole new bunch of shops in it since I was last there I wouldn't describe it as being anywhere near the quality of Oldham/rochdale (but both of these are poor compared to Bury). Middleton got a new bus station and the new arena (which I've heard is quite nice) and Rochdale hasn't had a lot of investment into its town centre since the Wheatsheaf but a lot of people visit Middleton from places like Heywood and Blackley as its easier to get to from there. Plus the old Middleton bus station was a dump as was the swimming pool you fix the most broke things first IMHO. Bowlee playing fields are good and they occassionally have some decent looking football teams train there (I'm not sure but I've heard rumours Dale use it). Yet they won't be all that good soon as about 100,000 Oasis fans use them as a car park.

I've said it before and I'll say it again a lot of Oldham fans (and some of the most loyal) live outside Oldham and find it hard/nigh on impossible to get the Chron. The club will do well to look at promoting the club in such areas like Middleton and that means reduce the % of adverts for the club in the Chron for a kick-off.

Unless Middleton has had a whole new bunch of shops in it since I was last there I wouldn't describe it as being anywhere near the quality of Oldham/rochdale (but both of these are poor compared to Bury). Middleton got a new bus station and the new arena (which I've heard is quite nice) and Rochdale hasn't had a lot of investment into its town centre since the Wheatsheaf but a lot of people visit Middleton from places like Heywood and Blackley as its easier to get to from there. Plus the old Middleton bus station was a dump as was the swimming pool you fix the most broke things first IMHO. Bowlee playing fields are good and they occassionally have some decent looking football teams train there (I'm not sure but I've heard rumours Dale use it). Yet they won't be all that good soon as about 100,000 Oasis fans use them as a car park.

I've said it before and I'll say it again a lot of Oldham fans (and some of the most loyal) live outside Oldham and find it hard/nigh on impossible to get the Chron. The club will do well to look at promoting the club in such areas like Middleton and that means reduce the % of adverts for the club in the Chron for a kick-off.

Biggest myth going, IMO. But a good one if you own a business in Bury. I really fail to see what the attraction to Bury is.....so it's got a decent market and a Marks and Sparks...but other than that it is no better than Oldham. I have seen the league table that the big high street chains use to look at which towns are on the up and down...Oldham and Bury were in equal place (149th IIRC)....Rochdale was a bit further down and probably rightly so...

i worked as a taxi driver in middleton and on langley for 9 years.....yes there are lots of decent people on there,but there is more noobs than decent

There it is again. How come if a place is rough you say you are 'on' it? I live in Holts. I live on Lees. :unsure:

it has great potential,and also has great potential for future fan base if the club decide to re-market its self and take advantage of fringe town support.

In my opinion, to improve attendence, the club needs to stop promoting themselves as a family club. Like it or loathe it, Oldham is one of the roughest towns in the country - 'family club' hardly appeals to the target audience does it???

I know a fair few lads who'd go if it was a bit nasty. They don't want to sit next to little boys eating sweets - they want to stand next to blokes with scars on their faces.

There it is again. How come if a place is rough you say you are 'on' it? I live in Holts. I live on Lees. :unsure:

I live on Tandle Hill Road* - it's proper rough.

*Do I feck.

Edited by Yard Dog

i worked as a taxi driver in middleton and on langley for 9 years.....yes there are lots of decent people on there,but there is more noobs than decent folk,hence the decline hence the less being spent until it its now owned by bowlee park estates and lovell homes.

so dont try and paint a glossier picture than it actually is.

lived in midd for 12 years,and although it has some decent parts the town is in need of doing up all over,and not just the affluent parts.

yes there is a brand spank new bus station and arena,but it will soon have a massive tesco built,bigger than the new one in oldham.

this will kill the shopping centre unless there is a big increase of proper shops moving into the arndale rather than cheap shops,pound shops n over priced cafes.

I'm not trying to paint any picture of Langley. You'll notice that I merely pointed out that, like many other council estates, whether overspills or inner-city, smalltown or whatever, Langley declined due to a variety of economic and social factors affecting the whole country. It was not because it's an estate full of undesirables that Manchester doesn't want within its boundaries, and its decline began well before the reorganisation of local boundaries (I'm not sure if Langley was ever part of the city of Manchester.) Manchester still has within it far worse places than Langley.

Leave Preston in any direction, and you are in firlds. Try the same exercise in Oldham and where are you? The boundaries of Oldham have little significance to people's lives other than the name on their bin and their council tax bill.

And yet we frequently bang on on these boards about how Oldham is distinct from Manchester and elsewhere. Some Latics fans have been known to sing about it at games.I don't see that being surrounded by other towns and cities makes us, or any of those surrounding towns or cities, any less towns in their own right than those that stand pretty much alone. I'd say it was more the failings of the town and its institutions that drives some people to seek to identify with more, ahem, glamorous neighbours than lack of a distinct identity. In my experience most Oldhamers are no less patriotic (in the local sense) than the inhabitants of any other town I'm familiar with.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

In my experience most Oldhamers are no less patriotic (in the local sense) than the inhabitants of any other town I'm familiar with.

I'm not so sure...once upon a time maybe...Oldhamers of my age (28) more often than not like to say they're from Manchester and put on a Manc accent.

Even older people seem to be less proud of the town these days. Many don't want to be associated with a riot town and find the town's high proportion of people from an ethnic minority background an embarrassment. Sorry if that offends anyone - but it's what I genuinely experience from meeting Oldhamers in my job pretty regularly.

I'm not so sure...once upon a time maybe...Oldhamers of my age (28) more often than not like to say they're from Manchester and put on a Manc accent.

Even older people seem to be less proud of the town these days. Many don't want to be associated with a riot town and find the town's high proportion of people from an ethnic minority background an embarrassment. Sorry if that offends anyone - but it's what I genuinely experience from meeting Oldhamers in my job pretty regularly.

And yet Oldham has no bigger ethnic minority population than many other towns and cities that seem to have a strong sense of pride in themselves, including places similar to Oldham. It's surely something to do with the failings of the town's institutions and the resulting demoralisation of the population. I doubt if people would be hiding the fact that they come from Oldham if Latics were challenging for the Premier League or reached another major cup final for instance.

In my experience those from the surrounding towns who purport to be Mancunians eventually recognise that not only do they seem a little ridiculous but genuine Mancunians don't respect them for doing it. Same with the towns around Merseyside.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

...Middleton provided over 500 season tickets FACT if not more at boundary park last season considering there was only about 3500 season ticket holders inall last year that is pathetic from the actual residents of Oldham...

The simple explanation for this is that the distance from Middleton to BP is only half the distance from parts of Oldham such as Saddleworth. It should be expected that the biggest proportion of ST holders come from the areas nearest to BP. It would be shameful if the largest proportion of ST holders came from a town farther from BP than the extremity of the Oldham Borough boundary.

When was the last time you visited luke???

Question is Sav. When did you last go to 'dales town centre. It's shambolic. Shops to shut down ratio. Rockerdale pisses all over Midd - which is why Middy is marginally better. Then again, I wouldnt go to either unless I wanted to buy a phone, birthday card, the bookies or anything found in a pound shop as there's nothing else in either. <_<

Biggest myth going, IMO. But a good one if you own a business in Bury. I really fail to see what the attraction to Bury is.....so it's got a decent market and a Marks and Sparks...but other than that it is no better than Oldham. I have seen the league table that the big high street chains use to look at which towns are on the up and down...Oldham and Bury were in equal place (149th IIRC)....Rochdale was a bit further down and probably rightly so...

I reckon that will change as according to the MEN or somewhere the new development in Bury which is going to have shops, restaurants and a cinema is the second biggest construction site in the country behind the Olympics. Bury has what Oldham has plus a Marks and Sparks, a Waterstones, and better quality than what you have in similar stores in Oldham and most of it is within walking distance of each other- I wouldn't want to walk to the nearest Tesco/Asda from Oldham town cente but you can in Bury. Plus since Bury has a metro it has probably better transport links.

I reckon that will change as according to the MEN or somewhere the new development in Bury which is going to have shops, restaurants and a cinema is the second biggest construction site in the country behind the Olympics. Bury has what Oldham has plus a Marks and Sparks, a Waterstones, and better quality than what you have in similar stores in Oldham and most of it is within walking distance of each other- I wouldn't want to walk to the nearest Tesco/Asda from Oldham town cente but you can in Bury. Plus since Bury has a metro it has probably better transport links.

I suspect Waterstones is a minor player in what attracts people to a shopping centre ... try upstairs in Spindles ... close to Debenhams and opposite the Disney shop (unless it's gone!).

I would quite willingly walk to the nearest Sainsburys from Oldham town centre.

The Metro will get here eventually. Shame they won't be letting it run down Rochdale Road as far as Sheepfoot Lane.

Edited by opinions4u

I suspect Waterstones is a minor player in what attracts people to a shopping centre ... try upstairs in Spindles ... close to Debenhams and opposite the Disney shop (unless it's gone!).

I would quite willingly walk to the nearest Sainsburys from Oldham town centre.

The Metro will get here eventually. Shame they won't be letting it run down Rochdale Road as far as Sheepfoot Lane.

:grin: