Swindon cannot cope with Cash gulf

Whereas I've always taken it as "Here, Here" as in the same opinion is being reciprocated "Here, Here"....

You may be right as to your explanation, would be more satisfied in believing it with a bit more proof though :grin:

And "here" it is... :wink:

http://unbecominglevity.blogharbor.com/blo...10/3970914.html

Will give you that one CJ! Ya learn every day...I shall get it right infuture :grin:

PS No need for the pathetic, loosely based dig between someones usage of grammar and their views on the club...or we'll happily wait for your next mistake and make a meal out of it to highlight a possible lack of intelligence :grin:

It isn't usually a matter of lack of intelligence-just laziness (and perhaps the inadequate education system that most of us had to be content with.)

There would have been no dig if you hadn't dug first.

Have you passed Key Stage 2 in English?

It refers to Charlton's wage bill being "Staggering" and then references us, Tranny and Walsall. Where is the mention of 'Dale? You clearly have no idea of how "context" works.

Add another to the "We're doomed" club. Depressive gits.

I wasn't saying the club is 'doomed', i'm saying that we're perceived as a little club and it's annoying that people use the term 'the likes of Oldham' in the same way they use the term 'the likes of Rochdale' and 'the likes of Grimsby' (and yes i am well aware that Rochdale and Grimsby aren't mentioned in that article, they're the teams that usually get referenced). It generally has nothing to do with how well or not the club's doing - if i remember right, a couple of years before the Premier League was formed the Coventry chairman was quoted as saying that the Premiership wouldn't create elitism and damage smaller clubs because 'big clubs' like Coventry would still be buying players from "the likes of Oldham",clearly oblivious to how well we were doing in the old second division,and we ended up being one of the founder members of the Premier League.

And please don't add me to the 'We're doomed' club,the amount of money i lost betting on us to win/get promoted/Gregan to score (what was i thinking) is testament to my quite unreasonable optimism.

I wasn't saying the club is 'doomed', i'm saying that we're perceived as a little club and it's annoying that people use the term 'the likes of Oldham' in the same way they use the term 'the likes of Rochdale' and 'the likes of Grimsby' (and yes i am well aware that Rochdale and Grimsby aren't mentioned in that article, they're the teams that usually get referenced). It generally has nothing to do with how well or not the club's doing - if i remember right, a couple of years before the Premier League was formed the Coventry chairman was quoted as saying that the Premiership wouldn't create elitism and damage smaller clubs because 'big clubs' like Coventry would still be buying players from "the likes of Oldham",clearly oblivious to how well we were doing in the old second division,and we ended up being one of the founder members of the Premier League.

And please don't add me to the 'We're doomed' club,the amount of money i lost betting on us to win/get promoted/Gregan to score (what was i thinking) is testament to my quite unreasonable optimism.

Ok, fair enough, but the way I read it is that we're not considered amongst the financial heavyweights in Lg 1; leeds, leicester, maybe MK and peterboro due to high spending chairmen, during this season as was, probably norwich, saints and what's left of those lot next season, but then a real biggie in charlton with their long term prem stay and a hangover from that.

I'd then suggest that we're in the next batch, consistent top half clubs that have a shot a promotion, rather than persistent strugglers that have a shot at relegation as we were doing for the 4 years from 98 onwards.

I know that Swindon have a bigger catchment area than we do, and I'm aware that many of our own fans live outside Oldham, but I still don't buy the idea that there are lots of Oldhamers who are enthusiastic enough about the likes of Wigan, Bolton and least of all Bradford to travel miles to watch them.

It's different with City and United, and always has been.

Why exactly? I was born in Chorley and have always lived in Leyland and i've always supported Oldham as has my brother. It only takes a parent to be from said place and there is a decent enough chance that's who you will support. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have roots in Burnley, Blackburn, Wigan etc going back as far as even 3 generations and will take that option rather than supporting their real local side.

But at the end of the day, we are a little club,albeit a little club with a big history, but a little club all the same. We have been in the bottom two tiers of English football for 12 years, our average gate is just over 5.5k

Its called being realistic, not pesimistic. Until we can get this stadium sorted (and we may well be in for a long wait) that includes facilities what can bring in money 24/7, we will not be in a position to establish ourselves as a championship club.

But at the end of the day, we are a little club,albeit a little club with a big history, but a little club all the same. We have been in the bottom two tiers of English football for 12 years, our average gate is just over 5.5k

Its called being realistic, not pesimistic. Until we can get this stadium sorted (and we may well be in for a long wait) that includes facilities what can bring in money 24/7, we will not be in a position to establish ourselves as a championship club.

i know, it's just annoying when people refer to 'visting Oldham on a cold Tuesday night in February' like that's the epitome of how far their club's fallen. And i'm sure that Swindon's chief exec wasn't saying "we can compete with crap teams like Oldham but we've got no chance against the bigger clubs", but that is kind of how it comes across.

i know, it's just annoying when people refer to 'visting Oldham on a cold Tuesday night in February' like that's the epitome of how far their club's fallen. And i'm sure that Swindon's chief exec wasn't saying "we can compete with crap teams like Oldham but we've got no chance against the bigger clubs", but that is kind of how it comes across.

Again....

Oldham on a tuesday night in January......

Dont think there will be many places colder!!!!!

I'll say it again. I read it as us being in the 2nd group of clubs, below the heavywieghts (leeds, leicester; mk and peterboor due to spending, and now saints norwich and charlton) but not as low as the rest of the division.

He'd hardly be placating his teams supporteres by claiming his club can compete with the lowest of the divsion.

More of a "we can't hit the biggest budgets but we can compete with anyone esle". If you're reading it differently, you're reading it wrongly. imnsho. B)

Swindon might not be able to out spend the likes of Leeds, Norwich etc. but how much is Simon Cox worth? If we want 1 million (more or less depending on your view) for Chris Taylor then Simon Cox (who out scored everyone in English League games apart from Rickie Lambert must be worth more than that). Interestingly Simon Cox was bought by Swindon for a rumored £200k sum (its from Wiki) in Jan 08, when was the last time we had that sort of money to spend on a player transfer. I think the Swindon person is selling the club short we would struggle to keep up with them and if they keep Cox (or use the money they get for him wisely) they could be very very dangerous next season.

The danger is that, as it is indeed likely to take a long time for the stadium to be sorted, we will be left behind permanently.

Personally, I fear this has already happened. All those responsible for dragging their heels (and I'm not pointing the finger at anybody in particular, except for the council) with regard to the several chances of our developing/moving to modern facilities over the last 10-15 years or so are the ones who have sealed our fate.

Why exactly? I was born in Chorley and have always lived in Leyland and i've always supported Oldham as has my brother. It only takes a parent to be from said place and there is a decent enough chance that's who you will support. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have roots in Burnley, Blackburn, Wigan etc going back as far as even 3 generations and will take that option rather than supporting their real local side.

I know. But I'd guess that the numbers living in Oldham with origins in the towns mentioned above is fairly minimal. As opposed to those of Mancunian origin (not that it takes Mancunian origins to jump on the ManUre bandwagon in particular.) How many Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn or Bradford etc etc shirts do you see in Oldham?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I took it as a compliment.

they might not be able to outspend the big spenders (ergo favourites for promotion), but able to compete with those knocking on the doors of the play offs eg Walsall, Tranmere and us. Unfashionable it's true, but contenders nonetheless