Swindon cannot cope with Cash gulf

early nineties premiership fixture 2nd game of the season swindon 0 oldham 1 paul bernard 89

similar size clubs, similar success

similar history?

we are not any different to swindon, i agree with what he says.

All the same, it's a slap in the face to know that we still belong with Rochdale in the 'byword for crap ambitionless dour Northern team' thesaurus.

Have you passed Key Stage 2 in English?

It refers to Charlton's wage bill being "Staggering" and then references us, Tranny and Walsall. Where is the mention of 'Dale? You clearly have no idea of how "context" works.

Add another to the "We're doomed" club. Depressive gits.

It refers to Charlton's wage bill being "Staggering" and then references us, Tranny and Walsall. Where is the mention of 'Dale? You clearly have no idea of how "context" works.

All this doom and gloom. I believe we will be in a for a refreshing surprise when Mr Penneys team sets about this season. Graft and passion anyone ?

Make a change after the past few years.....last passionate team we had was the cobbled together team of misfits and youfs under Dowie.

Discuss

Here's the controversial one.............I think Swindon are bigger than us with a miles bigger potential!

You only have to look at last years attendances

Ours:

Lowest:3745

Average:5636

Highest: 8901

Theirs:

Lowest: 6002

Average: 7498

Highest: 13001

If they were to get promotion their attendances would soar as the nearest club to them is Cheltenham and that’s 26 miles away!!!

We have within 26 miles of us Rochdale, Man city, Bury. Scum, Stockport, Huddersfield, Bolton, Burnley, Accrington Stanley, Blackburn, Macclesfield, Wigan, Bradford!

So forget the money the biggest thing in my opinion is their town supports the team and turns up on match days!!

Next year I would take the bet that Swindon finish above us in the league!!

CJ?

Don't worry, he'll be here soon enough with his Politicians bleating of "Here, Here!"

How many times do I have to tell you people that it's 'hear hear?' (As in listen to what's being said.)

Here here doesn't even make any sense. Could there be a connection between the unthinking attitude displayed by the constant repetition of senseless exclamations and phrases and the unthinking attitude of some people towards the way our club has been allowed to sink back into the category of no chance, there-to-make-up-the-numbers club? It would seem so.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

How many times do I have to tell you people that it's 'hear hear?' (As in listen to what's being said.)

Here here doesn't even make any sense. Could there be a connection between the unthinking attitude displayed by the constant repetition of senseless exclamations and phrases and the unthinking attitude of some people towards the way our club has been allowed to sink back into the category of no chance, there-to-make-up-the-numbers club? It would seem so.

0.1, 0.0...

We have within 26 miles of us Rochdale, Man city, Bury. Scum, Stockport, Huddersfield, Bolton, Burnley, Accrington Stanley, Blackburn, Macclesfield, Wigan, Bradford!

Apart from City and United (which is admittedly bad enough), however, nobody in Oldham who doesn't originate from those other places would travel to watch any of the other clubs. Why would they?

Apart from City and United (which is admittedly bad enough), however, nobody in Oldham who doesn't originate from those other places would travel to watch any of the other clubs. Why would they?

That’s like saying why do people from Tameside,Rochdale and Manchester and other places go watch us? They do!

I am an Ashton Lad born in Ashton Live in Ashton but support and watch Oldham even though the nearest team to me is city, where as if what you said were true I wouldn’t?

Swindon have a captive audience, if a football fan wants to watch a live game and has a free afternoon their going to go to the nearest ground and not 26 miles away, there’s more choice around here for your neutral or somebody with a free afternoon.

Lets face it the town of Oldham isn’t ripe with your stereotypical football fan, take away the ones who support the prem teams what’s left? There’s more people in boundary park on matchdays that don’t live in Oldham but originate from the immediate surrounding areas but not for long!

There’s two generations of lost fans from Oldham due to the success of the premier league and neighbouring teams and us being 3rd division for such a long time fact.

All this doom and gloom. I believe we will be in a for a refreshing surprise when Mr Penneys team sets about this season. Graft and passion anyone ?

Make a change after the past few years.....last passionate team we had was the cobbled together team of misfits and youfs under Dowie.

Discuss

I'll discuss it even though some people apparently think I shouldn't.

I like the sound of Dave Penney. I hope he does very well. He certainly seems to have the ability. However, we said exactly the same things about Neil Warnock at first, even if most people would prefer to forget this. Who is more committed and passionate about his football than him? And like his football style or not, his managerial record is better than most. However, he could do nothing at BP due in large part to the prevailing listless atmosphere, the sinking feeling, the lack of belief and the half-hearted backing he got (although not at first but certainly in his full season.) The board went on about how highly recommended he came. (As did this board about Brian Talbot and Ronnie Moore.) The similarities between now and then are uncannily similar.

Why this assumption that Penney's team is going to be 'passionate'? We don't even know who he's going to fill it with yet. And passion is no substitute for talent. The talented teams will always win out in the end.

Good luck to Penney, but the underlying situation at the club, as Joe Royle hinted, is dire. The infrastructure is shot and the amateurishness and ineptitude that pervades everything the club ever does becomes more embarrassing the further we fall behind our Lancashire neighbours (and the likes of Scunthorpe.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

That’s like saying why do people from Tameside,Rochdale and Manchester and other places go watch us? They do!

I am an Ashton Lad born in Ashton Live in Ashton but support and watch Oldham even though the nearest team to me is city, where as if what you said were true I wouldn’t?

Swindon have a captive audience, if a football fan wants to watch a live game and has a free afternoon their going to go to the nearest ground and not 26 miles away, there’s more choice around here for your neutral or somebody with a free afternoon.

Lets face it the town of Oldham isn’t ripe with your stereotypical football fan, take away the ones who support the prem teams what’s left? There’s more people in boundary park on matchdays that don’t live in Oldham but originate from the immediate surrounding areas but not for long!

There’s two generations of lost fans from Oldham due to the success of the premier league and neighbouring teams and us being 3rd division for such a long time fact.

I know that Swindon have a bigger catchment area than we do, and I'm aware that many of our own fans live outside Oldham, but I still don't buy the idea that there are lots of Oldhamers who are enthusiastic enough about the likes of Wigan, Bolton and least of all Bradford to travel miles to watch them.

It's different with City and United, and always has been.

Depressiveness has nothing whatsoever to do with it. There is no 'doom and gloom,' only stark reality.

Honestly, can we not merge these threads? There must be about seven million of them.

Let's face it, there's not much else to talk about aside from our inability to compete effectively, unless you see following a club as a largely uncompeitive passtime where the outcome doesn't matter.

Merge 'em though, if you like, although if you're bored you could go and do some other bank holiday thing. Not got a door to paint or a shed to clear out?

Let's face it, there's not much else to talk about aside from our inability to compete effectively, unless you see following a club as a largely uncompeitive passtime where the outcome doesn't matter.

Merge 'em though, if you like, although if you're bored you could go and do some other bank holiday thing. Not got a door to paint or a shed to clear out?

I've got a rat in my wall if that counts.

I no longer watch football for the results. That stopped years ago.

I've got a rat in my wall if that counts.

I no longer watch football for the results. That stopped years ago.

I do watch it for the results despite a nagging voice that tells me it's futile. Seems a bit senseless otherwise. After all, we could all take up knitting or origami or something, at a fraction of the cost and no stress.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I do watch it for the results despite a nagging voice that tells me it's futile. Seems a bit senseless otherwise. After all, we could all take up knitting or origami or something, at a fraction of the cost and no stress.

I count them as undercover drinking competitions.

How many pints can you nail and still get in?

This is probably not a good idea either.

:blink:

Do you hear yourself when you speak or read yourself when you type?

Whereas I've always taken it as "Here, Here" as in the same opinion is being reciprocated "Here, Here"....

You may be right as to your explanation, would be more satisfied in believing it with a bit more proof though :grin:

And "here" it is... :wink:

http://unbecominglevity.blogharbor.com/blo...10/3970914.html

Will give you that one CJ! Ya learn every day...I shall get it right infuture :grin:

PS No need for the pathetic, loosely based dig between someones usage of grammar and their views on the club...or we'll happily wait for your next mistake and make a meal out of it to highlight a possible lack of intelligence :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80