A Cryptic Clue

W.C. Fields.

I thought that but couldn't tie it with "possibly athletic". Am I missing the obvious?

How many letters ThaiLatic?

edit: And Fields is not so much veteran as very dead!

Edited by LaticsPete

I thought that but couldn't tie it with "possibly athletic". Am I missing the obvious?

Athletic.....track(s) and field(s).....a cricketer is athletic and he fields, and everyone in Thailand has heard of the controversial Clayton Playing Fields :wink: .......thanks to ThaiLatic spreading the gospel. :)

Veteran = Old

Corny actor = Ham

but possibly ATHLETIC

Oldham Athletic : )

I remember us also being mentioned in an NME crossword way back in the late '70's. The clue was something like, "the Stones manager and home to a terrible second division northern football team".

I put "Bolton" out of principle. It did mean that 5 down read "Butcasts" instead of "Outcasts" but I didn't care : )

Edited by ThaiLatic

Veteran = Old

Corny actor = Ham

but possibly ATHLETIC

Oldham Athletic : )

I remember us also being mentioned in an NME crossword way back in the late '70's. The clue was something like, "the Stones manager and home to a terrible second division northern football team".

I put "Bolton" out of principle. It did mean that 5 down read "Butcasts" instead of "Outcasts" but I didn't care : )

3565592153_8a97d53c71.jpg

Are you saying ThaiLatic has failed miserably in his missionary work? :lol:

The girl at work who's from Oldham didn't even get it. Her answer was ..................... Bobby Ball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, yes, I probably have failed : (

But not as much as the Oldham education system.