I haven't checked the Latics site for a while since i've been away and I just happened to click on the Squad Page on the OS. I mean, I know a few players have left but when you look at it like that, the squad looks VERY small indeed. Has the squad ever been reduced to this size before and we've done well? I have to keep in mind the summer has bearly even started yet but wow-wee.

supposing no one else leaves before august, we'll have the current 12, plus worthington, purdie and 7 others = 9 new signings and a first team squad of 21, throw in the 4 kids thats 25, so only about 2 what you would call 'proper' first team players less than last year i.e. around 100k off the wage budget.

not too bad really.

I suppose i'm asking it too early if you get me then.

Who are these???

Well, if we knew that guy, the summer would be a very boring place on here, the fishal site would barely make any money, and dave Penney may as well go on holiday for the next 6 weeks...

I suppose i'm asking it too early if you get me then.

Who are these???

the nine players Penney said he would bring in and the nine players, in total, that we need to have any form of decent squad.

i would hazard a guess (seeing as we have signed 2 cm's albeit purdie plays anywhere) at the remaining seven being:

1GK

2CB

1LB

1 Winger

2 ST (with wolfy being gone end of august that would leave us with ogrady, alessandr and 2 good strikers hopefully clarke and abbott) and brooke as a last reserve. If the team around lewis and ogrady is good and mobile unlike last year, then i think they will score.

Edited by shefflatic

the nine players Penney said he would bring in and the nine players, in total, that we need to have any form of decent squad.

i would hazard a guess (seeing as we have signed 2 cm's albeit purdie plays anywhere) at the remaining seven being:

1GK

2CB

1LB

1 Winger

2 ST (with wolfy being gone end of august that would leave us with ogrady, alessandr and 2 good strikers hopefully clarke and abbott) and brooke as a last reserve. If the team around lewis and ogrady is good and mobile unlike last year, then i think they will score.

he will sign 2 strikers under contract, then he will realise that COG and LA are not gonna take us were we want to be and raid the loan market

I haven't checked the Latics site for a while since i've been away and I just happened to click on the Squad Page on the OS. I mean, I know a few players have left but when you look at it like that, the squad looks VERY small indeed. Has the squad ever been reduced to this size before and we've done well? I have to keep in mind the summer has bearly even started yet but wow-wee.

We've had a mini summer clearout, it's barely June...i'd say our squad size at the moment was standard for this time of the year.

We've got 2 months to sign a new squad!

Indeed. Look at West Ham: they've announced they're retaining 12 players, and signing one more. It's early days yet, no need to be worrying about squad size.

I'm not accusing GGL of this, but what are the odds that once Penney has finished his rebuilding there will be complaints that he did it too quickly and missed out on some late bargains?

1. Greg Fleming

R.

Y Josh Ollerenshaw

1. Neal Eardley

R. Kelvin Lomax. till2011.

R Reuben Hazell. 2010

Y Liam Dawson

1. Chris Taylor

1. Jon Worthington

1. Rob Purdie

R Danny Whitaker. till June 2010

R Kieran Lee

R Dale Stephens

Y Paul Black

Y Chris Rowney

R Deane Smalley

R Chris O Grady Till 2010 I??

R Matty Wolfenden Considering short term deal

R Lewis Alessandra

Y Ryan Brooke

Edited by singe

• 4 weeks later...

1. Greg Fleming

R.

Y Josh Ollerenshaw

1. Neal Eardley

1. Sean Gregan

1. Joe JAcobson

R Reuben Hazell. 2010

Y Liam Dawson

1. Chris Taylor

1. Jon Worthington

1. Rob Purdie

R Danny Whittaker. till June 2010

R Kieran Lee

R Dale Stephens

Y Paul Black

Y Chris Rowney

1. Joan Collins

R Deane Smalley

R Matty Wolfenden short term deal

R Lewis Alessandra

Y Ryan Brooke

I have updated pretty much as I see it. Ideally 4 more players, though I doubt that will actually happen, and a couple fo spaces for loanees in Aug/Sept.

Edited by singe

1. Greg Fleming

R.

Y Josh Ollerenshaw

1. Neal Eardley

1. Sean Gregan

1. Joe JAcobson

R Reuben Hazell. 2010

Y Liam Dawson

1. Chris Taylor

1. Jon Worthington

1. Rob Purdie

R Kieran Lee

R Dale Stephens

Y Paul Black

Y Chris Rowney

1. Joan Collins

R Deane Smalley

R Lewis Alessandra

Y Ryan Brooke

I have updated pretty much as I see it. Ideally 4 more players, though I doubt that will actually happen, and a couple fo spaces for loanees in Aug/Sept.

Whos joan collins?

is this a signing i have not yet seen?

1. Greg Fleming

R.

Y Josh Ollerenshaw

1. Neal Eardley

1. Sean Gregan

1. Will haining

1. Neal Trotman

1. Joe JAcobson

R Reuben Hazell. 2010

Y Liam Dawson

1. Chris Taylor

1. Jon Worthington

1. Rob Purdie

R Kieran Lee

R Dale Stephens

Y Paul Black

Y Chris Rowney

1. Joan Collins

R Deane Smalley

R Lewis Alessandra

Y Ryan Brooke

THat would be nice!!

It is small at the mowment but it is getting gradually bigger, Penney will bring in 4 or 5 before the season starts. I think we will get Hughesy back :grin: and I think we will will also try and bring Will Haining back :grin: