iPhone vs Blackberry Bold

Lookers_Carl

Ok 2nd opinion needed

Phone due for upgrade very shortly. Am looking at getting either blackberry bold or iPhone 3GS. Currently edging towards the Blackberry as I dont like the lack of texts on the iPhone Tarrifs.

Would anyone who has the iPhone and/or Blackberry Bold be able to comment on

- Battery life

- Web browsing experience

- Call quality

As you know, I love my iPhone. Never without it, never have a problem with it. Battery is not the best, but I charge it every night and it always lasts a full day without problem.

3GS looks good, and will have better battery life too. If you call the O2 call centre I'm sure you will be able to tweak your text/calls ratio with them if you're looking to take on a contract... you must use :censored: loads of texts for the £34 plan not to be enough!?

As you know, I love my iPhone. Never without it, never have a problem with it. Battery is not the best, but I charge it every night and it always lasts a full day without problem.

3GS looks good, and will have better battery life too. If you call the O2 call centre I'm sure you will be able to tweak your text/calls ratio with them if you're looking to take on a contract... you must use :censored: loads of texts for the £34 plan not to be enough!?

At the mo i get 600 mins and 1000 texts a month

More often than not send over 500 texts but rarely use any of the mins. Do they let you ajust the texts/calls ratio?

At the mo i get 600 mins and 1000 texts a month

More often than not send over 500 texts but rarely use any of the mins. Do they let you ajust the texts/calls ratio?

I didn't ask as I was happy with an even balance. But if you call them up and try and negotiate I don't see why they wouldn't - if they know they're going to lose you to Orange or whoever for a Blackberry then they'll do all they can to get you!

Would anyone who has the iPhone and/or Blackberry Bold be able to comment on

- Battery life

- Web browsing experience

- Call quality

As Ackey correctly says, the battery life isn't the best, but it's quite understandable really given how much power you're using with the many apps and functions. As an all-in-one device, you don't get much better than the iPhone.

Wen browsing is superb. It's a bit tricky to get used to but doesn't take long. Great when combined with your home's wi-fi and is very quick. 3G is still fairly quick but a bit frustrating for extensive browsing.

Never had a problem with call quality. Loud, clear and neat.

In addition the major reason I love my iPhone is the multiude of apps I have on it and of course the Google maps function is great.

The sticking points for me are:

Touch screen mess.

Even with clean hands, your skin's natural oils create annoying smudges all on the surface. Get a high quality invisible 'skin' over the surface to combat this. It only gets really annoying on sunny days as it highlights how messy it looks!

Fragilty.

Don't even THINK about dropping this? If you regularly drop your phone I'd consider insurance or perhaps a different phone. I've only dropped mine once and it resulted in a cracked screen and virually rendered the iPhone useless as the interior liquid bled all over the screen. To be fair to Apple, if it's in warrenty they'll fix it for free at the Apple Shop (nearest one; Arndale, Manchester) but it's very fragile all the same. Again, get a decent rubber-based skin/case if you're extra worried.

Sluggishness.

This only ever happens when I'm using it heavily. Occasionally (and I mean very occasionally) the phone takes a second to readjust itself to what you're making it do or (and this has only happened 3 times in 2 months) the phone completely freezes up and I need to reboot it manually (ten second job really).

Camera.

Not the greatest camera but pretty reasonable all the same. No zoom function and not good in dimly lit settings.

A lot of the minor faults (like not being able to text forward, copy and pasting and other wee things) are being repared in the next update, but I guess the iPhone 3Gs will already have these on board.

Camera.

Not the greatest camera but pretty reasonable all the same. No zoom function and not good in dimly lit settings.

A lot of the minor faults (like not being able to text forward, copy and pasting and other wee things) are being repared in the next update, but I guess the iPhone 3Gs will already have these on board.

Indeed the camera is dreadful, but I have an excellent camera so what's the problem?

The 3G gets it's upgrade to 3.0 in a week, 5am on June 17th, and I'm buzzing. This will fix some very simple problems and really step it up a level.

The best thing about the iPhone is the incomparable Apps Store which provides an outstanding level of aplications. I've still only used free ones and have some outstanding features on the phone now. Remote in DJ mode is amazing! Facebook App. Twitter App. Flickr App. Shazam. Flixter. Urban Spoon. Mover. Epicurious. Countless games and many more Apps.

What phone do you currently have, Carl? What length of contract do you want?

Currently have an N82

Want a phone which is good for web browsing basically, and re contract length was looking at 18 months.

I was leaning towards the blackberry because of the better battery life/querty keyboard/more flexible tarriffs as I need one that has more than 500 texts a month, and I was under the impression that these were fixed for the iphone

Currently have an N82

Want a phone which is good for web browsing basically, and re contract length was looking at 18 months.

I was leaning towards the blackberry because of the better battery life/querty keyboard/more flexible tarriffs as I need one that has more than 500 texts a month, and I was under the impression that these were fixed for the iphone

They are fixed to the extent that they will not negotiate on price like you can with many contracts, but I think (this is an assumption based on the two contracts I had with O2 before my iPhone) that if you call up and negotiate on what you get you may get somewhere. You certainly can't do any harm by asking.

They are fixed to the extent that they will not negotiate on price like you can with many contracts, but I think (this is an assumption based on the two contracts I had with O2 before my iPhone) that if you call up and negotiate on what you get you may get somewhere. You certainly can't do any harm by asking.

Just asked em

Tarrifs non negotiable

bugger :(

Currently have an N82

A couple of pointers.

The keyboard on the iPhone is probably one of its best features. Even me, with chunky fingers and an initial worry about how user friendly it is was bowled over how quick it is to type. I'd go even so far to say it's easier than the blackberry as the iPhone's screen just kinda "knows" what key you're hitting even if you're a bit 'out' so to speak.

Battery life for iPhone whilst admittedly is a weak point isn't much of a problem for me as I have both a car charger and a battery booster. If you're not hammering all the functions on it every day (a test on your discipline I'd guess!) then you still get a couple of days mileage out of it anyway.

And I do believe you can get bolt ons to your tariff giivng you an xx amount of texts extra to your quota. I went over my quota last month and wasn't charged too much for my extra ones.

LG's touch screen phones are pretty good, not certain about for what you want, but you can get them on Orange who are doing unlimited text packages at various prices.

Want to stick with 02 as they have been good, if i left would lose my discount on my broadband which is also with them

They just said their fixed tarrifs, agreement with apple, nothing they can do sort of thing.

Must add my I-phone got wet (nothing spectacular) and duff, on insurance had a new one by courier in under 12 hours. IF the red light comes on for water sensor your dead. Insurance a must have.

Further to this, mine should (although I'm yet to need to check) be covered by the house insurance... I think I might actually check up on this a little further to make sure.

However my earbuds got crushed the other day. I stood on them. Still worked but were a bit uncomfortable. Went on the Apple site at 6pm and the new ones arrived at 10am the next day, sent the old ones back in the pre-paid envelope and got an email today to thank ME for being so efficient in returning the broken ones. All for free under the iPhone warrenty!

Can't argue with service like that.

They just said their fixed tarrifs, agreement with apple, nothing they can do sort of thing.

Apple don't want o2 pushing their product at no extra cost to themselves? :mmm:

Indeed the camera is dreadful, but I have an excellent camera so what's the problem?

You don't take your camera to TK Maxx on a Thursday afternoon?

• 1 month later...
NO

unless you abuse them the early probs cured and insurance first class.

For a mere £10 per month, O2 will cover it anywhere in the world for only £25 excess. Its then covered for ansolutely anything and next day replacement. With that sort of service it can be fragile

• 2 months later...

Just to add another into the mix.... Mate at work got the new Samsung HD something or other. Its a bit bigger than the iphone but it has a HD video camera on it and the movie playback is spectacular. Its like watching a HD tv. Is big though......