iPod Help

Butter

Are you "consolidating your library" I've never done this but I presume it copies all your music to the itunes music directory which I think is a sub-directory of the music directory in the My Documents area. Have a look in there and see if your music is appearing.

You may want to remove all references to directories in itunes and then recreate them only pointing to your external drive.

Am I the only person who has his music stored where iTunes doesn't tell me to? My iTunes folder is virtually empty, I just drag in my music from where it's stored in its anorak-style ultra-organised alphabetical and year order hard drive.

One thing I'm struggling to do effectively is load up my iPhone with songs that I want on it. Because of it's 8Gb storage, My head just hurts when I tell it to take specific music so I just go for a random selection of 500 songs (out of the 14,000 on my iTunes).

Ooh, I just learned how to convert song clips into ringtones for my iPhone. A gushing sense of achievement was felt last night, as my phone chimed to the sound of The Theme From Grandstand.

Ooh, I just learned how to convert song clips into ringtones for my iPhone. A gushing sense of achievement was felt last night, as my phone chimed to the sound of The Theme From Grandstand.

Haha thats quality. I had the same sense of achievement when I figured out how to do it, and my phone rang to Spanish Main by the Coral.

Am I the only person who has his music stored where iTunes doesn't tell me to? My iTunes folder is virtually empty, I just drag in my music from where it's stored in its anorak-style ultra-organised alphabetical and year order hard drive.

One thing I'm struggling to do effectively is load up my iPhone with songs that I want on it. Because of it's 8Gb storage, My head just hurts when I tell it to take specific music so I just go for a random selection of 500 songs (out of the 14,000 on my iTunes).

Well my itunes folder is EMPTY, all my music is stored on a separate hard drive and I tell itunes where the music is so there! It really is an awful piece of software, it gets me why Apple is not viewed with as much distrust as Microsoft, if not more. Apple are much more restrictive with what you can and can't do with their products and the fact they have a monopoly over the hardware their OSX runs on seems to pass most people by as their laptop range "looks nice".

Well my itunes folder is EMPTY, all my music is stored on a separate hard drive and I tell itunes where the music is so there! It really is an awful piece of software, it gets me why Apple is not viewed with as much distrust as Microsoft, if not more. Apple are much more restrictive with what you can and can't do with their products and the fact they have a monopoly over the hardware their OSX runs on seems to pass most people by as their laptop range "looks nice".

Ahh good, so it isn't just me. Yeah, Apple are awful for restrictiveness. Although I can see why in some cases, iTunes having to tell YOU

where your music should be really grates with me. Maybe it's OK for people who aren't as computer savvy or whatever, or it's probably a reflection on me liking to look at Neil Young's back catalogue in year order.

I'm not that anal, my directory structure is just a directory for each artist then their albums/eps/singles beneath that. This is then arranged in alphabetical order, it works for me.

My biggest gripe with itunes is the way it imports music. I like a fair bit of hip-hop and electro and it is pretty common for people to collaborate on the music, itunes in its wisdom decides then to split the tracks up into BandA, BandA feat MrX, BandA feat MrY and leaves you with about 4 songs on that album then lots of stumps of other albums.

I spent a good part of yesterday trying to sort this out, I spent a lot of time highlighting tracks, CTRL+I then playing with the sorting tab, a right pain in the arse. It should be able to cope with ripping a cd and lumping it all together as one album.

I've done it! In preferences, there is a check box to 'copy all music when adding to the itunes library' or something like that. Unchecked. Sorted!

And i sussed the ringtones too. Mine rings (well, rang) to Best of You by the Foo's. Quailty bit of screamage.

• 4 weeks later...