iPod Help

Butter

I have just got a new PC therefore have none of my music files on it at all. My iPod contains about 2500 songs, is there anyway I can transfer them from my Ipod onto my PC? Also if I plug my iPod in now with my iTunes library being completely blank, will it delete everything off my iPod??

Hope that made some sense!

I have just got a new PC therefore have none of my music files on it at all. My iPod contains about 2500 songs, is there anyway I can transfer them from my Ipod onto my PC? Also if I plug my iPod in now with my iTunes library being completely blank, will it delete everything off my iPod??

Hope that made some sense!

1. a. iTunes can't move songs from iPod to PC. There are 3rd part applications that probably can but I've never needed them so I don't know what they are.

1. b. You can just move your files from old PC to new PC. If you decide to go down this path I will try and help you.

2. a. Yes, if you plug your new iPod in it will be wiped.

2. b. If you want to stop this go into EDIT>PREFERENCES>DEVICES and put a tick on the "Disable Automatic Syncing" before you put your iPod in. I must warn you that sometimes this isn't enough. I know someone who's iPod got wiped. But whilst you have your old PC you can always put it back on from that whilst you fine tune your new setup.

1. a. iTunes can't move songs from iPod to PC. There are 3rd part applications that probably can but I've never needed them so I don't know what they are.

1. b. You can just move your files from old PC to new PC. If you decide to go down this path I will try and help you.

2. a. Yes, if you plug your new iPod in it will be wiped.

2. b. If you want to stop this go into EDIT>PREFERENCES>DEVICES and put a tick on the "Disable Automatic Syncing" before you put your iPod in. I must warn you that sometimes this isn't enough. I know someone who's iPod got wiped. But whilst you have your old PC you can always put it back on from that whilst you fine tune your new setup.

The old PC is absolutely knackerd ie Doesnt even load up windows. So that option is out of the window. If I were to lose everything on it I'd literally cry lol.

The old PC is absolutely knackerd ie Doesnt even load up windows. So that option is out of the window. If I were to lose everything on it I'd literally cry lol.

Bugger.

Then you'll have to find a 3rd party app, and I don't know of one sorry.

I've used Ephpod on occasions in the past and I don't recall it being difficult to use. And I'm a ficko innit.

The moral of this story: Buy external hard drive. Back up important data. Regularly.

Try a program called "iPod Access For Windows" (Google It!)

I've got that, but I have a free version which lets you take songs off your iPod but in batches of 10 songs at a time. It doesn't take too long doing those ten songs, but may be a bit soul destroying when you're talking about thousands. The full version is only $20 so will probably worth paying for in your case.

Also, when plugging your iPod in, DO NOT agree to sync it with iTunes before you've, y'know, taken care of your shizzle.

And yeah, like already mentioned. Invest in an external hard drive and back the music up.

I've used Ephpod on occasions in the past and I don't recall it being difficult to use. And I'm a ficko innit.

The moral of this story: Buy external hard drive. Back up important data. Regularly.

Ive got that programme it transfers all the folders but no music files :( DONE IT wooo

Cheers Frankly

I was just about to back up my music when Windows messed up on my old one.. too late, jinxed it and all that!

Edited by Butter

• 2 weeks later...
http://lousykit.blogspot.com/2009/06/get-y...h-sharepod.html

If this happens again, or anybody else has a similar problem - have a look at sharepod.

Tried this 'sharepod' and i managed to download 7000 tracks to new pc from my ipod (which was previously syncd. to another pc.)

Then syncd ipod to new pc and re-loaded via iTunes. Really easy.....thanks for the link.... :)

• 3 months later...

I have a similair problem to this....

My laptop only has a 60gb hard drive and it was full so i invested in an external hard drive. I moved all my pics and music across, freed up 30 gb on my laptop and hey presto, laptop runs smooth and quick again! WOOHOO!

Now my new problem is my iphone and ipod cant find my music cos its moved. So i set to the laborious task of starting all over again, transfering folders into itunes.....

BUT!!!!! As i put the songs back into itunes it starts to fill my laptop hard drive up again!

So here is my problem. Can i put itunes onto the external hd? Ive tried but it doesnt seem to work. There must be something i can do or im just gonna be back to square one with a very full and very sloooooooowwwwww laptop.

I havent plugged ipod into the computer yet either. Batteries dead so i need to get that replaced first (ipod not laptop!). Iphone has a smashed screen so im waiting for insurance to send a replacement and so that'll be blank too......

It was so much easier when i just had to worry about how much rewinding tapes on my walkman drained the AA's!!!!!!!

Just another question chaps...

Have the same problem with computer having died, billions of songs on Iphone, yadda yadda... no problem with getting one of these programmes and transferring the tunes over...

However - I have an I phone with about 200 apps on it... will these get wiped too, and can these programmes hold apps as well as songs?

Previously I have found all things officially downloaded from Itunes dont actually get wiped in the syncing process... is this true? If so, will my apps survive?

Could google for the truth, however wondering if anyone knew...

Ta!

I have a similair problem to this....

My laptop only has a 60gb hard drive and it was full so i invested in an external hard drive. I moved all my pics and music across, freed up 30 gb on my laptop and hey presto, laptop runs smooth and quick again! WOOHOO!

Now my new problem is my iphone and ipod cant find my music cos its moved. So i set to the laborious task of starting all over again, transfering folders into itunes.....

BUT!!!!! As i put the songs back into itunes it starts to fill my laptop hard drive up again!

So here is my problem. Can i put itunes onto the external hd? Ive tried but it doesnt seem to work. There must be something i can do or im just gonna be back to square one with a very full and very sloooooooowwwwww laptop.

I havent plugged ipod into the computer yet either. Batteries dead so i need to get that replaced first (ipod not laptop!). Iphone has a smashed screen so im waiting for insurance to send a replacement and so that'll be blank too......

It was so much easier when i just had to worry about how much rewinding tapes on my walkman drained the AA's!!!!!!!

You should be able to click File, Add folder to library and point that at where the music is on your external disc.

However - I have an I phone with about 200 apps on it... will these get wiped too, and can these programmes hold apps as well as songs?

Pretty sure they'd get wiped myself. The only backup for apps is on your computer where iTunes is on. Best googling to make sure, but I wouldn't thought it possible.

200 apps? Don't tell me you started dowloaded :censored:e like Atomic Fart and stuff like that? I've about 70 on mine.

Pretty sure they'd get wiped myself. The only backup for apps is on your computer where iTunes is on. Best googling to make sure, but I wouldn't thought it possible.

200 apps? Don't tell me you started dowloaded :censored:e like Atomic Fart and stuff like that? I've about 70 on mine.

:lol:

No, bit of an app freak... hardly ever use most of them. I'd say about 70% of them are paid for too, I dread to think how much money I have wasted on them!

Guess I'll never be connecting my IPhone up to a computer again then! Ah well... thanks god for Wifi connections, but am screwed for any future software updates/getting a new Iphone..

EDIT: Actually, prob my only option is to hit "Do Not Sync" and prey to god it doesnt wipe everything. I always just download stuff directly via my Iphone, so if it doesnt sync, it should be all good. i just want my music so i can tranfer to my Ipod for the gym and things...

Edited by BigfinLatic

This hopefully should work... once I've moved all my songs over and they are definitely there... I'll give this a go...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/07/22/transfe...hone-to-itunes/

Hopefully should at least mean I have all my Apps for the future. As long as all my songs are already in there too, i dont see any danger... I think?

:lol:

No, bit of an app freak... hardly ever use most of them. I'd say about 70% of them are paid for too, I dread to think how much money I have wasted on them!

Guess I'll never be connecting my IPhone up to a computer again then! Ah well... thanks god for Wifi connections, but am screwed for any future software updates/getting a new Iphone..

EDIT: Actually, prob my only option is to hit "Do Not Sync" and prey to god it doesnt wipe everything. I always just download stuff directly via my Iphone, so if it doesnt sync, it should be all good. i just want my music so i can tranfer to my Ipod for the gym and things...

Well if you hardly ever use any of them then I'd just get it wiped and start again. To be fair, of the ones I've bought, there's only a couple which I'd get again, and these were only about £3 in total anyway. The vast majority of mine, and also the most used, are freebies.

Unless an app comes along that makes a fundamental difference to me, I'll not pay for it.

Yes, your edit looks the best option. Also, I think you can right-click on the iPhone (when it shows on your iTunes) and select "Transfer Purchases".

You should be able to click File, Add folder to library and point that at where the music is on your external disc.

Thats what i was doing, but my harddrive on laptop was filling up again. I'm confused!

I had an app on my phone called makeitmine. It replaced the clock at the top of the screen with something of your choice, in my case my name. Great idea for about a week and then i got sick of not being able to see time. So i deleted the app, but it didnt change back to time. Even after i did a maser reset it still there cos it is in my backup with all my contacts. SO... when my new one comes in a few days, and i connect it to laptop to get all my contacts back on, it'll be on that one too! Bunch. Of. Arse.

Well if you hardly ever use any of them then I'd just get it wiped and start again. To be fair, of the ones I've bought, there's only a couple which I'd get again, and these were only about £3 in total anyway. The vast majority of mine, and also the most used, are freebies.

Unless an app comes along that makes a fundamental difference to me, I'll not pay for it.

Yes, your edit looks the best option. Also, I think you can right-click on the iPhone (when it shows on your iTunes) and select "Transfer Purchases".

All done :)

Just reinstalled ITunes, made sure that I hit the preference to never sync unless I say so tab before my Iphone was ever near it... then just downloaded some IPod to PC software, got all my songs on my laptop and then it was easy to get them in to Itunes, I just connected my phone up and downloaded all purchases....

easy peasy... dont know what you were all worrying about :wink:

Thats what i was doing, but my harddrive on laptop was filling up again. I'm confused!

Are you "consolidating your library" I've never done this but I presume it copies all your music to the itunes music directory which I think is a sub-directory of the music directory in the My Documents area. Have a look in there and see if your music is appearing.

You may want to remove all references to directories in itunes and then recreate them only pointing to your external drive.