Windass Testomonial

it wasnt a favour for a mate thought was it, thats the way he made it out but it was actually cos we were the nearest club to him

I turned down three Championship clubs to play for Oldham and I did it as a favour to a mate but now I've been let down. What's the point of sitting on the bench for a League One club? I could be sitting on the bench at Hull City? In fact, if I had stayed I'd probably be playing by now.

if he didn't sign as a favour to a mate, that makes that blog even more childish and unprofessional.

if he didn't sign as a favour to a mate, that makes that blog even more childish and unprofessional.

Thats what i mean the 3 championship clubs were far away with Ipswich being one of them

He only signed for us so he didnt have to relocate

Childish and unprofessional thats exactly what he is

Afraid not my friend - I was one of his biggest critics (although I was pleased when we signed him and impressed with his debut). Anybody who comes to the club is to be expected to play our way - even a 40 year old striker who had been a very good 3rd division striker 5 years before.

The massive downturn in our season pretty much directly coincided with his arrival.

P.S Shame you couldn't be so understanding of the limitations of Gregan and Lidds.... :wink:

I have complimented them when, IMO, they deserved it and equally criticised them when I felt their performances were poor.

Can't agree with your point about playing our way. The art of a good manager is to play to your best players' strengths. If Windass's best asset was to receive the ball to feet so he can play that special ball (in the way he tried on several occasions against Stockport), then the rest of the team should be encouraged to help him do that. There is no point in bringing the likes of Windass to the club if you are expecting him to just run around for 90 mins. because on that basis he will give us nothing. I think, last season, we would have made Ronaldo look bad.

And I think our season went downhill long before the arrival of Windass.

Edited by mikejh45

He should never have been at this club end of.

Based on what:

- Your feelings when he signed (most people thought it was a good move at the time)

or

- A retrospective viewpoint when things started to turn sour.

I wasn't present at Windass's debut for us, but from what I've been told he had an excellent game which probably amounts to all of our forward loanees performances put together.

Yes, some of his comments off-field didn't help his cause but I genuinely think he wanted to play for us and if Sheriden had used him right, would have had a far greater effect.

Based on what:

- Your feelings when he signed (most people thought it was a good move at the time)

or

- A retrospective viewpoint when things started to turn sour.

I wasn't present at Windass's debut for us, but from what I've been told he had an excellent game which probably amounts to all of our forward loanees performances put together.

Yes, some of his comments off-field didn't help his cause but I genuinely think he wanted to play for us and if Sheriden had used him right, would have had a far greater effect.

When we signed him I thought we didnt need him but could be a good move, it wasnt a good mood and yes my retrospective view is he should never have come. We had Lewi sat on the bench who could have done the same job and not seem to cause the problems he did.

When we signed him I thought we didnt need him but could be a good move, it wasnt a good mood and yes my retrospective view is he should never have come. We had Lewi sat on the bench who could have done the same job and not seem to cause the problems he did.

I agree with what you are saying. But the problem wasn't with Windass, it lay at the door of Sheriden. He proverbially kicked Alessandra in the nuts when he was starting to forge a partnership with Hughes to bring in the likes of Ormerod, Byfield and Kabba.

Windass could have been a good move for us and he did show glimpses of what he is capable of but he was left to the unpredictability of a midfield that didn't gel.