Is the Chron turning over a new leaf?

A reasoned comparison between Colchester and Shrewsbury in tonight's raely wrong Chron concludes that relocation is a vital part of securing a future for professional football in their towns - and with full consultation and imagination it can bring benefits to club, the fans and the wider community.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-of-moving-home

The bit I read was that the Failsworth MP is thrashing the club for not consulting him and having the forum a paid event away from Chadderton. Got say that I agree with him. Why has the club not brought the local MP on board I ask? Seems logical.

The bit I read was that the Failsworth MP is thrashing the club for not consulting him and having the forum a paid event away from Chadderton. Got say that I agree with him. Why has the club not brought the local MP on board I ask? Seems logical.

To be frank all the local MP will care about is securing his seat in the next election. Fighting the plans, win or lose, could help him in that cause. He would be a very lonely figure and living of borrowed time if he backed Latics I reckon.

Could be the reason why we didnt bother...

There are no plans to discuss yet, it's a Q & A Forum for all interested parties.

The MP said: “There are many, many concerns which may well melt away when it is explained properly. I am happy to go and talk to them if they want to invite me along.”

I would have expected him to buy a ticket and claim it back on his expenses.

To be frank all the local MP will care about is securing his seat in the next election. Fighting the plans, win or lose, could help him in that cause. He would be a very lonely figure and living of borrowed time if he backed Latics I reckon.

Could be the reason why we didnt bother...

The Forum for all interested parties, and the promised consultations with those directly involved, are to take place before any plans are drawn up.

The Forum for all interested parties, and the promised consultations with those directly involved, are to take place before any plans are drawn up.

I realise this :)

Just saying I would not expect a Failsworth MP to be coming down on our side. That is all :) Maybe I just distrust MPs too much :)

Guest FyldeBlue
Out of interest and a bit of a side note. What is our highest every attendance in history discounting the Sheff Wednesday one where the queen visited or something.

Cheers

We had just under 42000 for a F.A. Cup match against Liverpool, obviously when we had standing areas in each stand, the crush barriers collapsed at the Chaddy end during the game, people all surged to the front, crushed and injured, Latics Jimmy Rollo was in goal at that end and he was trying to concentrate on the game whilst injured people had to be laid down either side of the goal.

No on could believe that the referee allowed play to continue whilst all this was happening, Ian St.John scored the deciding goal at the Chaddy End and Liverpool won - very luckily 2-1 that day.... we ran rings round them for most of the match and I remember Ron Yeats (Liverpool Captain) kicking about 7 footballs out of the ground on the Broadway side in his panic.

The strange part was even with that crowd there was still room around virtually everybody, with no crushes, except for the Chaddy End collapse, bu the Rochdale Road end was a sight to remember with people standing on open terraces all the way back and probably up to the height of the top of the present stand.

I can't remember matches before 1954 but this one was in the most recent years and my memory.... :wink:

The ground record is 47,??? can't remember the exact figures..... hope this helps

I realise this :)

Just saying I would not expect a Failsworth MP to be coming down on our side. That is all :) Maybe I just distrust MPs too much :)

He will if, as he says, many concerns may well melt away when it is explained properly. As distinct from the hare set running by the Chron and the allotment plot-holders.

We had just under 42000 for a F.A. Cup match against Liverpool, obviously when we had standing areas in each stand, the crush barriers collapsed at the Chaddy end during the game, people all surged to the front, crushed and injured, Latics Jimmy Rollo was in goal at that end and he was trying to concentrate on the game whilst injured people had to be laid down either side of the goal.

No on could believe that the referee allowed play to continue whilst all this was happening, Ian St.John scored the deciding goal at the Chaddy End and Liverpool won - very luckily 2-1 that day.... we ran rings round them for most of the match and I remember Ron Yeats (Liverpool Captain) kicking about 7 footballs out of the ground on the Broadway side in his panic.

The strange part was even with that crowd there was still room around virtually everybody, with no crushes, except for the Chaddy End collapse, bu the Rochdale Road end was a sight to remember with people standing on open terraces all the way back and probably up to the height of the top of the present stand.

I can't remember matches before 1954 but this one was in the most recent years and my memory.... :wink:

The ground record is 47,??? can't remember the exact figures..... hope this helps

Wow... never knew any of that... Cheers :)

Out of interest and a bit of a side note. What is our highest every attendance in history discounting the Sheff Wednesday one where the queen visited or something.

Cheers

On 20 April 1812, a "large crowd of riotous individuals" compelled local retailers to sell foods at a loss.

Thousands listened to Sir Winston Churchill make his inaugural acceptance speech from the steps of the town hall when he was first elected as a Conservative MP in 1900

In 1913 Mr. D.W. Bardsley, a bookseller, was found murdered in his shop in Yorkshire Street. Two youths were arrested and when found guilty, sentenced to hang. Townsfolk pleaded for a pardon and 40,000 gathered outside the Town Hall to hear the verdict. The Home Secretary reprieved Hilton but Kelly was refused and hung. The crowd moved off to Werneth and there were riots and disturbances. Police attacked and arrests were made.

Other notable crowds (numbers unknown but including me):

In 1954 the Queen visited Oldham and the streets were lined with people.

In 1957 Oldham Rugby had a massive crowd outside the Town Hall to celebrate winning the Rugby League Championship, the Lancashire League and the Lancashire Cup.

Latics had thousands lining the streets and outside the Civic Centre on Rochdale Road when returning from the League Cup Final at Wembley against Forest.

On 20 April 1812, a "large crowd of riotous individuals" compelled local retailers to sell foods at a loss.

Thousands listened to Sir Winston Churchill make his inaugural acceptance speech from the steps of the town hall when he was first elected as a Conservative MP in 1900

In 1913 Mr. D.W. Bardsley, a bookseller, was found murdered in his shop in Yorkshire Street. Two youths were arrested and when found guilty, sentenced to hang. Townsfolk pleaded for a pardon and 40,000 gathered outside the Town Hall to hear the verdict. The Home Secretary reprieved Hilton but Kelly was refused and hung. The crowd moved off to Werneth and there were riots and disturbances. Police attacked and arrests were made.

Other notable crowds (numbers unknown but including me):

In 1954 the Queen visited Oldham and the streets were lined with people.

In 1957 Oldham Rugby had a massive crowd outside the Town Hall to celebrate winning the Rugby League Championship, the Lancashire League and the Lancashire Cup.

Latics had thousands lining the streets and outside the Civic Centre on Rochdale Road when returning from the League Cup Final at Wembley against Forest.

Funny :) You know I meant for a game :)

I took you literally when you said "or when the Queen visited or something".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you learn something every day on here.

A lot of the estimated 100,000 who were at the Peterloo Massacre were from Royton, Oldham and Middleton, marching to demand the introduction of universal sufferage, the scrapping of Government levies on food and a guarantee of no Manchester postcodes.

I noticed in the article they mention the capacity issue and how they can be expanded.

The first thing that stands out is that both cases involved clubs moving from their “spiritual home” to a new purpose-built state-of-the-art stadium in another part of the town.

Both new grounds have initial capacities of 10,000 spectators and are capable of further expansion, in much the same way as the proposed Latics stadium will be.

Colchester’s Stadium can grow to 18,000, while Shrewsbury already have plans to add another 2,500 seats when attendances justify. The scale of their ambition is clear with an upper capacity of 40,000 - not bad for a club that has never been higher than the old second division and has a record crowd of just under 19,000.

. . . And his junior sidekick, Cllr Jim McMahon, has attacked the club for a second time in a week. He also thinks Chadderton is too far from Failsworth to hold a forum! Some people will complain about anything.

:angry:

I noticed in the article they mention the capacity issue and how they can be expanded.

The first thing that stands out is that both cases involved clubs moving from their “spiritual home” to a new purpose-built state-of-the-art stadium in another part of the town.

Both new grounds have initial capacities of 10,000 spectators and are capable of further expansion, in much the same way as the proposed Latics stadium will be.

Colchester’s Stadium can grow to 18,000, while Shrewsbury already have plans to add another 2,500 seats when attendances justify. The scale of their ambition is clear with an upper capacity of 40,000 - not bad for a club that has never been higher than the old second division and has a record crowd of just under 19,000.

Personally I like the idea of a bowl type ground. Unfortunately, probably the easiest way to build a stadium with expansion possibilities, is to have 4 identical height lego style stands, then when the time comes for expansion all you have to do is cover the corners and put seats in them.

Edited by laticsrblue

A reasoned comparison between Colchester and Shrewsbury in tonight's raely wrong Chron concludes that relocation is a vital part of securing a future for professional football in their towns - and with full consultation and imagination it can bring benefits to club, the fans and the wider community.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-of-moving-home

On a side note, I was amused me to read of Shrewsbury's imaginative new Park and Walk Scheme for their ground. I had thought that was called a Car Park!