Red Card

Having just seen the shortened highlights on the Beeb it does appear that when the bloke fouls Holdsworth he is the last man. Now I don't agree with the rule applying in the penalty area but if you are the last man and you are denying a goal-scoring chance (which is almost a given) then shouldn't that be a red card? I'd be interested to see the views of those people actually at the game as to whether or not they thought the same from the other end (as its a different angle to the one the Beeb are going to give us). Are we a bit unlucky that we weren't playing against 10 men for a good portion of the game?

Having just seen the shortened highlights on the Beeb it does appear that when the bloke fouls Holdsworth he is the last man. Now I don't agree with the rule applying in the penalty area but if you are the last man and you are denying a goal-scoring chance (which is almost a given) then shouldn't that be a red card? I'd be interested to see the views of those people actually at the game as to whether or not they thought the same from the other end (as its a different angle to the one the Beeb are going to give us). Are we a bit unlucky that we weren't playing against 10 men for a good portion of the game?

Having seen it at the time, I didn't even think it was a penalty. I'll have a look at LP or The Beeb shortly to review.

Guest sheridans_world
You don't have to have the ball under control. If somebody clatters you it's still a foul.

Just ask David James after last night...

Only seen it on good old Auntie Beeb and still can't decide if it was a foul or not; sort of 60/40 in favour. But, as the last defender, the red should have been automatic if the ref sees it as a foul. Did Mr D'Urso bottle it because it was in the Lion's Den? Even listening to the racket from the Millwall "fans" on LW (sorry, LP now), I just have a feeling that it would have been close to a riot if he'd shown it. Had it been an away game, I think the red would have come out.

Only seen it on good old Auntie Beeb and still can't decide if it was a foul or not; sort of 60/40 in favour. But, as the last defender, the red should have been automatic if the ref sees it as a foul. Did Mr D'Urso bottle it because it was in the Lion's Den? Even listening to the racket from the Millwall "fans" on LW (sorry, LP now), I just have a feeling that it would have been close to a riot if he'd shown it. Had it been an away game, I think the red would have come out.

your prob right there... ooo the fans might shout at me i cant send him off :disappointed:

Brilliant idea.

I would like to take all the credit, but the fine sport of rugby union (when not using fake blood etc) came up with the concept of awarding a try when a likely score was blocked by outright cheating.

The obvious example of where this is appropriate was the Barcelona v Arsenal Champions League Final - why send Lehmann off after 15 mins? Just give the goal. Yellow card or red card or no card based on the severity/dangerous nature of the challenge.

Something worthy of open discussion.

Penalty= straight red.......correct?

No.

Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity is a red card.

It's a penalty if it happens in the box. Free kick outside the box.

If you commit a minor foul in the box, it can be a penalty with no card at all.

Edited by opinions4u

And yet he chose to wind them up with all the pissing about over Neil Harris' wedding ring so they were down to ten men for the last 5 minutes of the first half. i wasn't at the game but it sounded like a bizarre refereeing performance.

can't tell if it was a penalty or not from the highlights (need to see it from behind the goal to tell whether or not he got the ball),but he was clean through right in front of the goal so if it was a foul it was a red card.

If the ref was going to award the penalty then he had to send him off, he bottled it regardless if it was a penalty or not. Hard to tell which he got first in the reply, the ball or the player, for me he didn't get enough of the ball to take it away from AH without taking him out. Referee obviously affected by the crowd and being harassed by Millwall players like he was for every single decision.

If the ref was going to award the penalty then he had to send him off, he bottled it regardless if it was a penalty or not. Hard to tell which he got first in the reply, the ball or the player, for me he didn't get enough of the ball to take it away from AH without taking him out. Referee obviously affected by the crowd and being harassed by Millwall players like he was for every single decision.

Agreed!!!! After watching the highlights on the Beeb countless times still can't decide whether it was a penalty.......but it was awarded so the Wall player should have been off!!

Is there grounds to appeal as there should be a ban for the Wall player............interesting.......maybe that is a tactic that we should deploy at BP!!!