Eardley impressed Armfield

Bargain for the lashers. I'll be surprised if he's there at the end of next season. Don't know what you've got til it's gone, Some of our lot would cut off their own balls to prove a point. Look at the lack of width this season - that doesn't come from wingers alone and Eards was our top assist provider last season. If he ever gets the chance with a top, top club I'll stick my neck out and say he'll do an Irwin. He's 20 - remember that.

Bargain for the lashers. I'll be surprised if he's there at the end of next season. Don't know what you've got til it's gone, Some of our lot would cut off their own balls to prove a point. Look at the lack of width this season - that doesn't come from wingers alone and Eards was our top assist provider last season. If he ever gets the chance with a top, top club I'll stick my neck out and say he'll do an Irwin. He's 20 - remember that.

Yeah, agree with that, although I'd say he'll never be as successful as Irwin. You and I have seen both and Irwin was a far better defender than Eardley is, whilst also being as good going forward. Also, Irwin was a better striker of a dead ball and a much more potent threat that way.

But, he's very young and will suit him playing in a higher league. Needs to cut those scythed, floating balls in or over goal and get a bit more quality in his crossing for me. Blackpool have got themselves a bit of a bargain.

Yeah, agree with that, although I'd say he'll never be as successful as Irwin. You and I have seen both and Irwin was a far better defender than Eardley is, whilst also being as good going forward. Also, Irwin was a better striker of a dead ball and a much more potent threat that way.

But, he's very young and will suit him playing in a higher league. Needs to cut those scythed, floating balls in or over goal and get a bit more quality in his crossing for me. Blackpool have got themselves a bit of a bargain.

Disagree with that bit Jamie, Denis couldn't defend for toffee when he was here but he was brilliant at attacking - providing rampaging overlaps and pinpoint crosses onto the bonce of Stitch, Bunn and Palmer. As for him striking the ball yeah he could welly it but Eards stikes it just as well. Denis became the complete full-back when Fergie switched him to left-back and he was taught how to defend. He also gave him penalty taking duties which bolstered his tally. Denis was a a year or so older when he arrived at BP after playing a similar number of games for Leeds as Eardley has for us. If he improves like Irwin did here, he'll be ready to go onto the next level. Agree about the lacks of concentration and the persistent failed attempts at the 'Hollinwood' ball but he's 20, stick him with better quality and he'll improve.

By the way Denis only ever scored 4 goals in four seasons for us, he struck the ball well but didn't shoot enough for me. Eards - take out his pens and he scored 6 (10) in 3 seasons, lower level I know but more of a goal threat imo. The difference in levels over the last 19 years is negligible imo with League One incresingly becoming the same sort of standard of the Division 2 Irwin played in. Top 10 in the Prem is light years away from The Old First Division or even the Prem in its infancy.

Disagree with that bit Jamie, Denis couldn't defend for toffee when he was here but he was brilliant at attacking - providing rampaging overlaps and pinpoint crosses onto the bonce of Stitch, Bunn and Palmer. As for him striking the ball yeah he could welly it but Eards stikes it just as well. Denis became the complete full-back when Fergie switched him to left-back and he was taught how to defend. He also gave him penalty taking duties which bolstered his tally. Denis was a a year or so older when he arrived at BP after playing a similar number of games for Leeds as Eardley has for us. If he improves like Irwin did here, he'll be ready to go onto the next level. Agree about the lacks of concentration and the persistent failed attempts at the 'Hollinwood' ball but he's 20, stick him with better quality and he'll improve.

By the way Denis only ever scored 4 goals in four seasons for us, he struck the ball well but didn't shoot enough for me. Eards - take out his pens and he scored 6 (10) in 3 seasons, lower level I know but more of a goal threat imo. The difference in levels over the last 19 years is negligible imo with League One incresingly becoming the same sort of standard of the Division 2 Irwin played in. Top 10 in the Prem is light years away from The Old First Division or even the Prem in its infancy.

I think we're on the same lines though all in all. For sure, it'll be interesting to see Eardley's development. I expect him to make the Premiership, but whether it's for a Villa or Tottenham or a relegation flirter is anyone's guess at this point. Good luck to him though.

I think we're on the same lines though all in all. For sure, it'll be interesting to see Eardley's development. I expect him to make the Premiership, but whether it's for a Villa or Tottenham or a relegation flirter is anyone's guess at this point. Good luck to him though.

He certainly has time on his side, but whether The Clown Holloway can improve him - that remains to be seen.

To me there was never any doubt that Eardley will be a success in the Championship, at 20 he will continue to improve and could well make a Premiership RB in the fullness of time.

He was a good young full back at Latics and Blackpool have really got themselves a decent bargain if the fee was indeed 350K as reported.

The criticism of him by some Latics fans both on here and at games just showed the unbelievable levels of ignorance we have amongst some of our fans.

Some people on more than one thread were actually suggesting that Lomax was a better player than Eardley, that is absolutely laughable and really summed up the judgement of some.