The Bigger picture

I have been all things latics for 35+ so i like to think i know my onions....believe me i understand how most of you are feeling right now, the best thing that has ever happened to the club while i have been there is the slogan KEEP THE FAITH, we adopted some years ago. it is a very strong statement we can refer to when times are like they are now. we have been in worse positions than this on and off the pitch and got through them...the club, (YOUR CLUB) isnt just the players and the manager on a Saturday afternoon, its the fixtures and fittings, THE CHADDY, we have loved and defended over the years, THE ROCKY RD we have adopted as our spiritual home, and before that sang and sworn at, THE MAIN STAND, oh the main stand, where so many famous faces have sat, where (in my opinion) all the owld moaners sit, who ironically we moan at, THE LOOKERS, yeah its gone but what about the memories, when you think of BP its still there, THE THREE AMIGOS, our saviours with thier bottomless pockets (which dont really exist you know). THE BACKROOM STAFF, Gordon, the running about he does, he should be 6 bleedin stone, STU AND NOW ACKY, bringing us the news daily (good and bad) THE TICKET OFFICE AND SHOP....the list is endless, so much work goes on and on, FOR US! The players, the manager? they dont support Oldham Athletic like we do, we'll be here when they have gone like we were befere they arrived. ok it makes a statement booin em and jeerin em, i dont condemn nor condone it, i believe in freedom of speech....the message i am getting across is. THIS IS OUR CLUB!, dont hate it, LOVE IT with a passion, good things come to those who wait, i waited 25 years for the good times, and im prepared to wait another 25, who's with me?

KEEP THE FAITH!

I have been all things latics for 35+ so i like to think i know my onions....believe me i understand how most of you are feeling right now, the best thing that has ever happened to the club while i have been there is the slogan KEEP THE FAITH, we adopted some years ago. it is a very strong statement we can refer to when times are like they are now. we have been in worse positions than this on and off the pitch and got through them...the club, (YOUR CLUB) isnt just the players and the manager on a Saturday afternoon, its the fixtures and fittings, THE CHADDY, we have loved and defended over the years, THE ROCKY RD we have adopted as our spiritual home, and before that sang and sworn at, THE MAIN STAND, oh the main stand, where so many famous faces have sat, where (in my opinion) all the owld moaners sit, who ironically we moan at, THE LOOKERS, yeah its gone but what about the memories, when you think of BP its still there, THE THREE AMIGOS, our saviours with thier bottomless pockets (which dont really exist you know). THE BACKROOM STAFF, Gordon, the running about he does, he should be 6 bleedin stone, STU AND NOW ACKY, bringing us the news daily (good and bad) THE TICKET OFFICE AND SHOP....the list is endless, so much work goes on and on, FOR US! The players, the manager? they dont support Oldham Athletic like we do, we'll be here when they have gone like we were befere they arrived. ok it makes a statement booin em and jeerin em, i dont condemn nor condone it, i believe in freedom of speech....the message i am getting across is. THIS IS OUR CLUB!, dont hate it, LOVE IT with a passion, good things come to those who wait, i waited 25 years for the good times, and im prepared to wait another 25, who's with me?

KEEP THE FAITH!

five hundred percent jacko

KEEP THE FAITH :grin: :grin:

First thing that comes to my mind when I think of Oldham.

Andy Ritchie. Last minute of the first half. Arsenal. Bang.

Easily my favourite moment ever.

For that reason I'll watch a 100 years of :censored:.

Not sure how that is relevant though.

the relevance is....good things come to those who wait, welcome aboard the good ship waiting dude

First thing that comes to my mind when I think of Oldham.

Andy Ritchie. Last minute of the first half. Arsenal. Bang.

Easily my favourite moment ever.

For that reason I'll watch a 100 years of :censored:.

Not sure how that is relevant though.

First thing that comes to my mind when I think of Oldham is cold wet and glum :)

I hate the slogan 'Keep the Faith'

It's like - "were crap but stick with it", I'd much prefer something like City's 'Pride in Battle'.

The truth is, no matter what slogan we've got on our shirts, if we dont win games and the standard of quality on and off the field is poor - people will walk away from the club. I can live with a low standard of football but if the players don't look up for the challenge then I think 'why bother for them lot'. A lot is required at the club to get people excited again about paying £20 for 3rd rate football. The club have bitten the hand that feeds them too many times. Depressing as it sounds, its the truth of why folk are turning their backs on the club in these tough economic times. It's a chore turning up at BP at the moment. The faces of people going to the game on Friday said it all.

I appreciate what your're trying to do here by getting spirits up, but you can't just gloss over the problems at the club and expect everything to be smelling of roses at the end of it all. The glass is half empty for me at the moment I'm afraid and I'm usually an optimist.

It's like - "were crap but stick with it", I'd much prefer something like City's 'Pride in Battle'.

The truth is, no matter what slogan we've got on our shirts, if we dont win games and the standard of quality on and off the field is poor - people will walk away from the club. I can live with a low standard of football but if the players don't look up for the challenge then I think 'why bother for them lot'. A lot is required at the club to get people excited again about paying £20 for 3rd rate football. The club have bitten the hand that feeds them too many times. Depressing as it sounds, its the truth of why folk are turning their backs on the club in these tough economic times. It's a chore turning up at BP at the moment. The faces of people going to the game on Friday said it all.

I appreciate what your're trying to do here by getting spirits up, but you can't just gloss over the problems at the club and expect everything to be smelling of roses at the end of it all. The glass is half empty for me at the moment I'm afraid and I'm usually an optimist.

agreed.

agree that slogan makes me cringe so GAY

Really? What say does an individual Barcelona member have? Is it not akin to voting Labour/Tory and letting them do whatever they want?

(I actually don't know, but it's how it seems from a distance)

we have voting powers.a president is elected every 4 years and can only be re-elected once.

a vote for "no confidence" can be be triggered at any time if enough members vote for it to be held.

laporta was badly defeated in one 2 seasons ago when there was a 2 year period of poor performances and no trophies-some of his board resigned because of it,but because the person who won the vote wasn't a serious contender to be president and he was in it more to show laporta who was boss.laporta was very shook up..the rest is history.

but laporta was hours away from being kicked out.he basicly was told he has to listen to the members..after all,we pay towards the club each year (150,000+ members x 155€ per year = 23,250,000€)

the members have the power.we can vote in things like accounts ,new directors ,plans toward the stadium being extended and how the funds are being raised towards it.

its very democratic and though i've never voted (you have to vote in person,but i believe things are being changed) ,its nice to know i have that i have some part in saying how things should happen.

FFS! I bet you're great at parties....

I have the ability to separate one subject and one situation from another.

I've never really been able to understand those who go through life basing everything on wishful thinking. I suppose the happy clappers are the same sort of people who applaud a new government being elected because they think they'll 'make things better,' without looking at the wider backdrop. And then experience disappointment when very little changes. Such people tend to believe everything they're told, as well.

I have the ability to separate one subject and one situation from another.

I've never really been able to understand those who go through life basing everything on wishful thinking. I suppose the happy clappers are the same sort of people who applaud a new government being elected because they think they'll 'make things better,' without looking at the wider backdrop. And then experience disappointment when very little changes. Such people tend to believe everything they're told, as well.

Way to generalise. I thought Labour would be a disaster. I thought the sacking of Sheridan would be a disaster. I'm not sure I'm right on either count, but it doesn't change that I'm a 'happy clapper'.

Where ambition ends, happiness begins. :wink:

Way to generalise. I thought Labour would be a disaster. I thought the sacking of Sheridan would be a disaster. I'm not sure I'm right on either count, but it doesn't change that I'm a 'happy clapper'.

Where ambition ends, happiness begins. :wink:

The truth is in the generalisation.

It may be generally true that happiness begins when ambtion ends, but evidently not in a competitive sport.

Best slogan I've seen in ages is Accrington's.

The greater the conflict the more glorious the triumph

It's like the Coors Brewery at Burton (I can say now I've been). Whereas Bass is painted out on the factory side by the Corrs sign, you can see the image in the background of the slogan on their shirts of "Bob Lord, you're a c**t"