Liverpool Fan Michael Shields pardoned

The Ministry of Justice has confirmed his pardon. The decision could set a precedent for cases of Britons convicted abroad on contested evidence.

It will be the end of people being allowed to see out foreign sentences in British jails. Not that that would be altogether a bad thing, I don't particularly want to pay to make life easier for someone who broke the law elsewhere. I don't know a lot about this case but from what I remember wasn't it just a case of lots of iffy alibis and his mate saying that he did it, conveniently once he was back in the UK?

The Ministry of Justice has confirmed his pardon. The decision could set a precedent for cases of Britons convicted abroad on contested evidence.

Having a "Ministry of Justice" makes us sound like some sort of tin pot 3rd world nation.

May be we are with our lack of ambition and ... oh, sorry, wrong person on the wrong thread.

:grin:

Having a "Ministry of Justice" makes us sound like some sort of tin pot 3rd world nation.

May be we are with our lack of ambition and ... oh, sorry, wrong person on the wrong thread.

:grin:

If we had any ambition Help Shiny would be Justice Secretary, not Jack Straw. We need to be building colossal death camps for minor offenders and waterboarding infant school children for spelling mistakes if we want to establish ourselves on the levels of legalised brutality our Lancashire neighbours of a similar size manage to sustain.

I don't know a lot about this case but from what I remember wasn't it just a case of lots of iffy alibis and his mate saying that he did it, conveniently once he was back in the UK?

Not really his mate,another Liverpool fan who was staying in the same hotel as him. The stupid f**ker confessed to it, but then retracted it as soon as there was talk of extraditing him to Bulgaria to stand trial, claiming that it was another fight that he was involved in. Apparently his solicitor told the BBC today that he hasn't been able to contact him and he 'appears to have gone to ground', unsurprisingly.

The case was an absolute farce. The police were told immediately after the attack that the attacker had dark hair - Michael Shields is blonde.Several witnesses saw him return to his hotel 2 hours before the attack, and other witnesses have said that they saw him asleep in his room at the time of the attack. Before he was taken to the police station, the police car he was in went back to the bar where the attack had taken place,where witnesses being spoken to by the police could clearly see him in the back of the car. He was then handcuffed to a radiator in the reception area of the police station,in full view of eyewitnesses who later picked him out in an identification parade. No forensic evidence was ever collected from the scene of the crime. Fair Trials International have said it was one of the worst miscarriages of justice they've dealt with. Hopefully the bloke who actually did it will get extradited and put on trial for it, but i can't see it - the Bulgarian authorities have already refused an appeal, and they're unlikely to admit that they got it wrong.

But the victim has always insisted Shields did it.

I thought the victim was hit from behind so they couldnt possibly have seen it was Shields, he was convicted on eyewitness statements alone. I think the police just picked on the first scouser they came across, unfortunately for Shields it cost him 4 years of his life.

On his first night at home after 4 years in Prison, Michael Shields was asked what it was like being surrounded by rapists, drug dealers, murderers.....

He said he was glad to be home and that his street hasn't changed one bit.

oh ha f**king ha :grin: i can't really take offence, i said near enough the same joke last night but with 'he said he was looking forward to Burnley's visit to Anfield on Saturday' as the punchline...