Why isn't Gregan More of a Threat From Set-Pieces

Not related to our draw today really, but I was thinking about it during our match, as old Seany boy was winning all of his headers.

I've never once seen him threaten the opposition's goal when we've had a corner (or at least from what I can remember), and very rarely when we have a free-kick. I've noticed Hazell is the target we aim at when we have our set-pieces, but, if little else in some people's eyes, one of Gregan's main attributes we credit him with is the ability to win the ball in the air. Just thought he'd prove a little more dangerous in the box...

I guess it does sorta relate today really, as we seemed to use set-pieces as our main source of attack. Playing as we do on the road, we do really need to be more dangerous from corners and free-kicks.

Not related to our draw today really, but I was thinking about it during our match, as old Seany boy was winning all of his headers.

I've never once seen him threaten the opposition's goal when we've had a corner (or at least from what I can remember), and very rarely when we have a free-kick. I've noticed Hazell is the target we aim at when we have our set-pieces, but, if little else in some people's eyes, one of Gregan's main attributes we credit him with is the ability to win the ball in the air. Just thought he'd prove a little more dangerous in the box...

I guess it does sorta relate today really, as we seemed to use set-pieces as our main source of attack. Playing as we do on the road, we do really need to be more dangerous from corners and free-kicks.

see where you're coming from but gregans defensive headers are usually from balls that are coming down with snow on em rather than the type of delivery you get with corners.

Must admit it's crossed my mind too, for someone who's such a big physical presence you'd think he'd be a danger in the oppositions box. It would certainly be a good weapon to have.

As long as he defends well at the mo though, i'll settle for that.

Michael Owen and Paul Scholes have both scored a lot more goals from set piece headers than the center backs they play with who come up for corners etc. It's just a differnet skill winning the big ball and kneeing the forward in the back compared to nipping in front of someone to nick a header in from a corner

and if you watch some of our set pieces you'll see the 'obvious' target in gregan deliberately missed to try and create the space for others.

I think our lack of threat from set pieces over the past few seasons is more down to a lack of real emphasis on practicising them allied to a lack of real quality delivery. It's already obvious this season that DP is spending a little more time both attacking and defensively working on them.

Without putting too fine a point on it, we need to be able to counter the counter attack. And we know Sean where Sean is at his stongest iwt hthe defensive header or clearance. Being less subtle, you have a Charlton (or any other!) striker and our Sean racing back form their goal to our end of the pitch.

They'd be taking the kick off from the goal before he got back!

:grin:

Seriously though, not having a go, his strength is in front of our goal

Edited by singe

Number of factors possibly and most been offered above

Are our set piece deliveries aimed for gregan, or do we use him well as a big decoy

Are our set peices good enough in general

If he's missing headers whislt at centre half - a worry! (which he doesn't miss many!)

Do we want our mid 30s bulky centre half making too many forays into their box - set pieces of course.

nd as LL says, being a big, daft No 5 (just a phrase btw, not meant of course!!), doesn't mean you have the ability to head well or attack the ball well in the oppos box.

Apart from that - Keep up the great defensive work Gregan.