Was watching the Champions League last night...

...and wondered what the reaction would have been from Tics fans if Brill had made the same mistakes as Dida and Casillas made. I don't think he would have got out of BP alive!

Happens to the best of them, Brill-haters...

All keepers make mistakes, what distinguishes them is the regularity of their cock-ups, and whilst mistakes can be attributed to ability, preparation and plain darn bad luck - I think in Brill's case his failings have been a combination of all three.

Edited by oafcprozac

...and wondered what the reaction would have been from Tics fans if Brill had made the same mistakes as Dida and Casillas made. I don't think he would have got out of BP alive!

I'm not a Brill hater. Like the majority of latics fans, I give everyone a clean slate at the start of every game. What I don't put up with is sheer incompetence from a keeper who week in week out has proved that he is out of his depth.

I know any keeper can make mistakes , just good keepers should be able to judge crosses, close strikers down on one on ones and organise a defence, Brill hasn't shown any of these yet

Im not a Brill hater I just dont think he is a very good keeper , I hope he can turn it round and prove me wrong though

1 mistake per keeper brill 6-7-8 or 9 mistakes 1 keeper :S id give the other goal keeper's from last night a knighthood compaired to brill.

Nine? Really? Six is too many but 9...come on!

What I don't put up with is sheer incompetence from a keeper who week in week out has proved that he is out of his depth.

Week in week out?

Like the majority of latics fans, I give everyone a clean slate at the start of every game.

:grin::unsure:

Errr palmed into his own net v Hartlepool, nodded in v MK Dons, fumbled over the line against Southampton and get this...lived to tell the tale on each occasion.

Get over it.

E4e

DRILL

brill is/was having a season similar to that of gomes at spurs last season. he was making basic errors week in and week out. he got slated for it. happens at the top level too. happens to the best of them.

At least gomes would come for them.. i wouldnt mind him coming out to get them and missing some, imtidates the attacking players as they think "oh god i might get a smack ere"

Brill is the only reason i have any doubt about Penney being the right man for the job. He comes across as so credible in everything he does apart from his selection of.....and continued blindness to......the fact that Brill isn't anywhere near the standard required to be successful at this level. It's not anything like a matter of confidence. Consecutive clean sheets builds confidence and we've had that.....did he venture off his line to resemble (nay, even pretend) that he might one day command just a small portion of that little box he goes to work in? No. You get that instinct at the academy, it's not something you learn in front of paying customers!

Brill is the only reason i have any doubt about Penney being the right man for the job. He comes across as so credible in everything he does apart from his selection of.....and continued blindness to......the fact that Brill isn't anywhere near the standard required to be successful at this level. It's not anything like a matter of confidence. Consecutive clean sheets builds confidence and we've had that.....did he venture off his line to resemble (nay, even pretend) that he might one day command just a small portion of that little box he goes to work in? No. You get that instinct at the academy, it's not something you learn in front of paying customers!

:applause1::applause1::applause1:

brill is/was having a season similar to that of gomes at spurs last season. he was making basic errors week in and week out. he got slated for it. happens at the top level too. happens to the best of them.

Brazilian number 2 V Dean Brill

Good comparison Pete :OASISscarf:

Having seen Collett on many occasions at BP and a few of his high-profile gaffes on Sky over the years i'm not sure exactly how he can hope to improve any keeper. For one what the hell is he doing on coaching him positional sense? We've dropped a bollock with goalkeeper and coach imo. Fleming would've made more saves but made as many mistakes imo too - so we need an experienced loanee of the ilk of Beresford, maybe not as old but someone who kick the defence up the arse and who knows how to set a wall occasionally.

As you say Brill is one of two questionable signings by DP - the other being Colbeck at the moment...

For one what the hell is he doing on coaching him positional sense? We've dropped a bollock with goalkeeper and coach imo.

Tend to agree. I'm more than prepared to "get behind the lad" as much as anyone else......it's just plain bloody obvious that no amount of encouragement is ever going to improve his spatial awareness. If the work that we all have a right to expect is actually going on behind the scenes, is actually taking place.....then we have a right to see it practised on Saturday afternoon for real. If it ain't demonstrated when the whistle blows, you can't help but question either the ability or methodology (or both) of those charged with drilling him Monday to Friday.

Can we knock his shot-stopping? No.

Can we knock Brill's? No.

Can he stop shots? Yes, some.

Pogs and Norm were shot stoppers.....far better shot stoppers than Brill and both would be well preferred to what we have presently.

Incidentally, the woodwork saves at least 30 goals a season......just by being there.

Dida has always dropped clangers. Can we knock his shot-stopping? No.

Can we knock Brill's? No.

Goalkeepers mistakes are always highlighted as they always almost inevitably end in a goal conceded..........

For me Brill has made 6 mistakes in the league that have led to goals we've shipped; now out of the number of league games we've played (13) then it's a major goal-conceding gaff every 2.16 games. In any league, in any part of the world, that is a shocking stat for a 'keeper.

Quit simply we've (Penney & staff) made a huge mistake in signing this lad. He is not; and never will be, a L1 goalkeeper. Sad thing is we've got him, taking a wage from the club for 2 years. Even if, and to be honest its a big if, GF is recalled from his loan in Jan - we'll still be lucky to shift Brill out to another club so he's our player for the foreseeable & that worries me greatly........

An experienced loan signing is needed ASAP in my opinion; Brill will continue to cost us as long as he stands (poorly positioned albeit) between the sticks for us.