A different approach to be considered

After yet another toothless display last night it's now glaringly obvious that we have some players who lack passion and conviction and we have a few others that lack quality.

In the second half in particular we had a fair amount of posession with no end product. Whitaker, Furman, Parker and Colbeck are guilty of lacking quality and/or the absolutely essential ingredient-a pride and desire to play for our club! With such a sizeable portion of our squad lacking we are and will continue to struggle to win matches and maybe just as importantly attract new/stay at home supporters.

Penney has spoken about his reluctance to bring in 'unsettling' loan players which I can fully appreciate after seeing its effect under Sheridan's reign. 'Needs must' at this time with the sheer amount of injuries we are having to deal with and maybe a couple of loan signings have been much needed. But how many times last season did we bring in so-called quality loan signings- and there were a few strikers among them- to see their contribution fizzle out or more accurately never get off the starting blocks whatsoever!

One noticeable effect and reason to be a little more optimistic after last night's match was the introduction of Ryan Brooke who added height and direction to a woefully misfiring foward line. It really does raise the question why our conveyor belt of talent from our youth set-up isn't tapped into more often at this time when we are somewhat paralysed with injuries. Kieran Lee, though not a product of our youth set-up, would benefit-and this is vital-from an extended opportunity in the first team. Dale Stephens although, on loan at the moment, is another youngster with something to prove. Not had much of a look-in though. The younger players don't look out of their depth when they enter the fray which is more than can be said about certain members of the current starting line-up. The younger players show a hunger, enthusiam and offer potential that Penney regards as key qualities to have success.

Our fans all appreciate good football played above all with endeavour and pride and if we go down to a defeat then let it be not for want of our team's will to win being brought into question. To walk off the pitch to a standing ovation after a gallant display despite the result knowing the team had given their 'all' to the cause is surely the way to win back our disillusioned supporters. After all the hard working people from our working class town only want to see their team efforts on a matchday mirror the way they are duty bound to approach their own professions.

Keep the faith.

After yet another toothless display last night it's now glaringly obvious that we have some players who lack passion and conviction and we have a few others that lack quality.

In the second half in particular we had a fair amount of posession with no end product. Whitaker, Furman, Parker and Colbeck are guilty of lacking quality and/or the absolutely essential ingredient-a pride and desire to play for our club! With such a sizeable portion of our squad lacking we are and will continue to struggle to win matches and maybe just as importantly attract new/stay at home supporters.

Penney has spoken about his reluctance to bring in 'unsettling' loan players which I can fully appreciate after seeing its effect under Sheridan's reign. 'Needs must' at this time with the sheer amount of injuries we are having to deal with and maybe a couple of loan signings have been much needed. But how many times last season did we bring in so-called quality loan signings- and there were a few strikers among them- to see their contribution fizzle out or more accurately never get off the starting blocks whatsoever!

One noticeable effect and reason to be a little more optimistic after last night's match was the introduction of Ryan Brooke who added height and direction to a woefully misfiring foward line. It really does raise the question why our conveyor belt of talent from our youth set-up isn't tapped into more often at this time when we are somewhat paralysed with injuries. Kieran Lee, though not a product of our youth set-up, would benefit-and this is vital-from an extended opportunity in the first team. Dale Stephens although, on loan at the moment, is another youngster with something to prove. Not had much of a look-in though. The younger players don't look out of their depth when they enter the fray which is more than can be said about certain members of the current starting line-up. The younger players show a hunger, enthusiam and offer potential that Penney regards as key qualities to have success.

Our fans all appreciate good football played above all with endeavour and pride and if we go down to a defeat then let it be not for want of our team's will to win being brought into question. To walk off the pitch to a standing ovation after a gallant display despite the result knowing the team had given their 'all' to the cause is surely the way to win back our disillusioned supporters. After all the hard working people from our working class town only want to see their team efforts on a matchday mirror the way they are duty bound to approach their own professions.

Keep the faith.

Completely disagree - we don't lack effort and passion, it's numbers and quality we lack, oh and a bit of ambition from the manager in actually going all out to win a game wouldn't go amiss from time to time. Leeds were there for the taking and we had two wingers playing up front at a time when we were dominating the game. Drop Colbeck and bring in a ball player and we'll be ok. Give Brookey a run - nothing to lose and he looked nice and bright.

Keep the faith.

so whats the different approach then???

we are seeing players lacklustre performances yet again...can turn it on against so called big teams yet cant fight tooth n nail for the bread n butter games...

been the same over the last few seasons only thing changes are manager and new players coming in,and the gel period.

we cant afford better than average players so thats why we have to make do and mend

we are seeing players lacklustre performances yet again...can turn it on against so called big teams yet cant fight tooth n nail for the bread n butter games...

been the same over the last few seasons only thing changes are manager and new players coming in,and the gel period.

we cant afford better than average players so thats why we have to make do and mend

I think we're doing ok apart from the nagative tactics, as for the 'gel period' you refer to Ed, yeah that is a problem but given the amount of crocks we have it will take even longer bearing in mind that at no point has DP been able to put out his first XI...

Edited by oafcprozac

I think we're doing ok apart from the nagative tactics, as for the 'gel period' you refer to Ed, yeah that is a problem but given the amount of crocks we have it will take even longer bearing in mind that at no point has DP been able to put out his first XI...

of course...

his big signing and player to build a team around mr purdie has been injured since pre season....its a shame as if he had been fit im guessing we might have seen a different kind of team performance.

too much is made of instant success and want everything now but i guess thats the society we live in right now.

i think this keeper we have now on loan is a good signing...jusy hope now with the news of pav being out longer than expected we can afford to dip into the market for a decent forward.

its ok saying we have players that can play there if need be,but when they have in the past it hasnt worked...

stats from last night said we had 51% possession over the whole match,but only 2 shots on target.

One plus from yesterday was Ryan Brooke's attitude. Give that he was abysmal mentally and physically when he had a run out a few weeks ago I wasn't expecting much. But he put himself about, looked confident, won headers and , whilst not the striking saviour, can progress more.

A new approach to team selection.

If I'd been Dave Penney selecting last night's team I would have picked 10 of the 11 that he did. Probably preferring Whitaker to Colbeck.

I'd have also expected to lose the game.

You can say we need better strikers in the squad, and you'd be right. But they're not there today.

You can say we should have thrown Brooke up front from the start. But I've seen nothing to justify doing this from his brief substitute appearance. You can say Kieron Lee is the solution to the midfield creativity. Other than a mis-hit cross against Swindon and a decent debut 11 months ago at Crewe I'm a long way off convinced. Dale Stephens wouldn't, from what I'm told, improve on :censored: or Furman in the middle.

You can moan all you like.

I actually thought our second half display last night was decent. The only thing missing was a genuine goal threat. Even in the first half if we had a striker who could hold the ball up we'd have taken the sting out of a decent Leeds side who struggled to break us down. Proven striker in on loan until the end of January please.

But you haven't made it clear what you would change and how you would fund it.

After the game did you still think Whittaker should have started? I thought he was woeful. He may aswell not been on the pitch as he didn't seem to do anything. Although Colbeck has no talent I did thin he was putting in a shift and putting himself about until he was taken off

It wasn't Danny's finest hour of football.

But we're only a strike partnership away from being a decent team.

Given the injury situation, I'm not prepared to slag Penney off for his team selection though. Perhaps his failure to bring in/develop the right strikers is worthy of concern.

Edited by opinions4u

I didn't think the second half was too bad yesterday. We haven't the quality of Leeds but we did show that if you get at them they can be troubled. I just thought at times we were clueless. Simple frustrating things we did wrong. Hitting them on the break, having them on the backfoot, winning a throw-in and then taking 5 minutes to take it. Losing all momentum and allowing them to get back.

Do people still believe that Kieron Lee and Dale Stephens are the solution to our midfield when Sheridan Royle and Penney have now not seen anything in them to give them a consistant starting place. I can believe one of these guys can be wrong but not all 3 both surely aren't good enough.

One plus from yesterday was Ryan Brooke's attitude. Give that he was abysmal mentally and physically when he had a run out a few weeks ago I wasn't expecting much. But he put himself about, looked confident, won headers and , whilst not the striking saviour, can progress more.

Oh aye. The other week when he had a run off the bench, my jaw dropped when I saw how far out of his depth he seemed. But last night, he put himself about a bit and caused a couple of problems. He's a bigger lad than I first thought, and looked decent in the air.

A rare positive from last night I suppose.