Failsworth Fighs Back!

interesting. but i hope they sort their differences out soon becuase seeing those pictures of BP, it really shows that we need to move away

Not really, it shows dirt on the floor nobody can be arsed to clean and that some idiot has destroyed the lookers stand for no reason. Of course the grounds age has been a problem recently, but no more so than most clubs. The facilities are as bad as they always have been so why do people suddenly mention them as a problem? We all know a new ground would be ideal but we don't live in an ideal world do we. The TTA created the massive problem by knocking down a stand due to piss poor planning.

Not really, it shows dirt on the floor nobody can be arsed to clean and that some idiot has destroyed the lookers stand for no reason. Of course the grounds age has been a problem recently, but no more so than most clubs. The facilities are as bad as they always have been so why do people suddenly mention them as a problem? We all know a new ground would be ideal but we don't live in an ideal world do we. The TTA created the massive problem by knocking down a stand due to piss poor planning.

Yes, they should have known the bottom was going to fall out of property and land value drop. Everybody knew that was going to happen.

Yes, they should have known the bottom was going to fall out of property and land value drop. Everybody knew that was going to happen.

it wasnt very good business acumen to knock down the old stand before the new one was ready to be built. you would think that they would have sussed out that a recession was in the wind. they have effectively ruined the ground.

someone told me today that falkirk also have a 3 sided stadium.

Not sure if this is sarcasm - I'll assume that its not and develop your point.

As a former mortgage adviser, I saw the problems in the property and equities markets months before the Lookers was knocked down - we all did. Thats why myself and hundreds of others got out of mortgage advising whilst we could. As I'm sure you'll be aware, the credit crunch was well underway when the Lookers was demolished.

"Piss poor planning" sums it up pretty well for me.

it wasnt very good business acumen to knock down the old stand before the new one was ready to be built. you would think that they would have sussed out that a recession was in the wind. they have effectively ruined the ground.someone told me today that falkirk also have a 3 sided stadium.

With hindsight it wasn't the right decision. But at the time it made sense. There was every intention to rdevelop, it was going to be the Lookers Stand that was going to be first and why not clear it?

And the bit in your post that they should have sussed out a recession etc.....when the Lookers was demolished why should they? Can't remember business leaders, economists, financial writers flagging it up. Can you?

With hindsight it wasn't the right decision. But at the time it made sense. There was every intention to rdevelop, it was going to be the Lookers Stand that was going to be first and why not clear it?

And the bit in your post that they should have sussed out a recession etc.....when the Lookers was demolished why should they? Can't remember business leaders, economists, financial writers flagging it up. Can you?

You can rewrite history if you want but the recession was well on the agenda as the Lookers Stand was dropped...

Friday, April 4, 2008 We are going to have a recession: the numbers say it. I hope it will just be a recession rather than slump but that depends on the political class and we are all very aware of their level of competence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7176255.stm

Tuesday, 8 January 2008 The feared recession in the US economy has already arrived, according to a report from Merrill Lynch.

Please do not just think, ah it was just the US...our economies are so tightly linked recession in the USA means recession in the UK...

Edited by oafc0000

it wasnt very good business acumen to knock down the old stand before the new one was ready to be built. you would think that they would have sussed out that a recession was in the wind. they have effectively ruined the ground.

someone told me today that falkirk also have a 3 sided stadium.

It might not look too good but at the end of the day Latics play matches their and if people want to see the matches they can. The club have reduced their costs when they are making year on year losses. I would say that is good business acumen.

People seem to forget that the signs of contagion in the UK were brought into stark focus with the run on Northern Rock. This happened in September 2007, a good 7/8 months before the Lookers was demolished. This incident focussed the eyes of the world on capital markets in the UK and many began predicting the UK would become the worst hit economy of all the developed economies quite soon after this event.

Poor planning is quite apt. However, I dont agree that the new stand should be ready. The major problem was the whatever business case was put together by TTA for the investment, doesnt appear to have had much sensitivity analysis or any plan B hence the rather hastily announced plan to move to Failsworth (note this is not a comment in support of or against a move).

People seem to forget that the signs of contagion in the UK were brought into stark focus with the run on Northern Rock. This happened in September 2007, a good 7/8 months before the Lookers was demolished. This incident focussed the eyes of the world on capital markets in the UK and many began predicting the UK would become the worst hit economy of all the developed economies quite soon after this event.

Poor planning is quite apt. However, I dont agree that the new stand should be ready. The major problem was the whatever business case was put together by TTA for the investment, doesnt appear to have had much sensitivity analysis or any plan B hence the rather hastily announced plan to move to Failsworth (note this is not a comment in support of or against a move).

Yup... Another History lesson for some...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6996136.stm

Edited by oafc0000