OMBC never learn do they?

outoftheblue

A commonly held belief.

Depends how you define 'politician', I guess. There are some people with strongly held political and social beliefs who become councillors for the right reasons. But I wouldn't necessarily describe them as politicians.

very true, but i'd put them in a very small minority compared to the rest of the self promoting and greedy majority.

any wonder around half of this country can't be bothered to vote?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very true, but i'd put them in a very small minority compared to the rest of the self promoting and greedy majority.

any wonder around half of this country can't be bothered to vote?

It's the biggest problem facing our system of government, but the main parties seem incapable of doing anything about it.

It's the biggest problem facing our system of government, but the main parties seem incapable of doing anything about it.

The low turn out ?

I would love to see 99% turnout rates. What is stopping it ? Rubbish robbing MPs ? People bored of the party system ? Better things to do ?

Whatever the reason, it is not really valid, your vote presents you with a method of changing things. I am sick to death of the party system. There is always one of two independents on voting forms in my local area and I will be choosing one of them. Will they win ? Unlikely, does it matter, no... Point is it was one vote against something I hate. The sooner the rest of the people start using the power at there finger tips to back what they believe in the faster we can change things.

I know people who vote labour because they like Gordon Brown or there dad has always vote labour, etc etc. We have heard them all before. They then turn around and moan when the local MP who they took little interest in as a person when voting for them turns out to be a :censored: claiming for duck houses or flipping their second home. You have to vote for a person and not a party I feel. My political view is a central one, new labour in years gone by. Just ticking the box of the Labour candidate though is stupid. You need to take time to understand THAT person and not just his party.

Look at the person, not the party and then I feel things will improve.

Edited by oafc0000

The low turn out ?

I would love to see 99% turnout rates. What is stopping it ? Rubbish robbing MPs ? People bored of the party system ? Better things to do ?

Whatever the reason, it is not really valid, your vote presents you with a method of changing things. I am sick to death of the party system. There is always one of two independents on voting forms in my local area and I will be choosing one of them. Will they win ? Unlikely, does it matter, no... Point is it was one vote against something I hate. The sooner the rest of the people start using the power at there finger tips to back what they believe in the faster we can change things.

I know people who vote labour because they like Gordon Brown or there dad has always vote labour, etc etc. We have heard them all before. They then turn around and moan when the local MP who they took little interest in as a person when voting for them turns out to be a :censored: claiming for duck houses or flipping their second home. You have to vote for a person and not a party I feel. My political view is a central one, new labour in years gone by. Just ticking the box of the Labour candidate though is stupid. You need to take time to understand THAT person and not just his party.

Look at the person, not the party and then I feel things will improve.

totally agree!

too many "lifelong" labour/tories/liberals supporters who refuse to change, whatever the mess we're in, whatever the scandals they cause, whatever the scheming they do.

they just vote for the rosette, not the person.

totally agree!

too many "lifelong" labour/tories/liberals supporters who refuse to change, whatever the mess we're in, whatever the scandals they cause, whatever the scheming they do.

they just vote for the rosette, not the person.

Yup, and then you get the political make up you deserve... A piss poor one...

I do think the people are partly to blame for the state of British politics. The only way to change it is to get out and vote decent people in.

I think this day and age goverments / councils need to much more secular. I think the French get it right.

That’s the main point for me, I don’t suppose they will be designating Atheist Day and sending a card out then. They just have no business doing this sort of crap at all. Councils should raise money locally so that the people voting for all of the crap also have to pay for it, rather than most of it coming through from the national government, which motivates people to spend it anyway. There would be a lot less Eid cards, fountains and highly paid waster jobs if voters had a realistic option to save hundreds of pounds a year on their council tax bill rather than tinkering around the edges of it.

Guest sheridans_world

So what do people think of the Swiss?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8385069.stm

Personally I think they voting and citizenship system as admirable... The people of the country get what they want. Dis-regarding birth and marriage you can only become a citizen by naturalisation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_nationa...#Naturalization

Naturalization

Citizenship in Switzerland can be obtained by a permanent resident who has lived in Switzerland for at least twelve years (any years spent in Switzerland between the 10th and the 20th years of age count double), and has lived in the country for the last three out of five years before applying for citizenship. One should be able to speak fluently in either German (preferably Swiss German), French, Italian or Romansch (depending on the community) and show:

integration into the Swiss way of life;

familiarity with Swiss habits, customs and traditions;

compliance with the Swiss rule of law;

no danger to Switzerland's internal or external security.

Cantons and communities impose their own residence and other requirements, which may be additional to those imposed by the Confederation.

Simplified naturalisation

Certain categories of non-Swiss may apply for simplified naturalisation, including:

women who lost Swiss citizenship through marriage to a non-Swiss citizen, or through the loss of Swiss citizenship by a husband, before 23 March 1990

children born to Swiss mothers who acquired Swiss citizenship themselves on the basis of a previous marriage

persons born before 1 July 1985 whose mother acquired Swiss citizenship by descent, adoption or naturalisation

children whose mother acquired Swiss citizenship by marriage

A spouse of a Swiss national who lives abroad may acquire citizenship after six years of marriage.

All these categories have additional requirements to be fulfilled. Normally a successful applicant acquires the cantonal and communal citizenship of the Swiss mother or spouse.

I believe they send a questionnaire out to the community in some parts, asking whether they feel someone is "Swiss enough".

Oh yeah, just for the record, the above story on minarets is only an example of the Swiss system, not a personal opinion being stated.

Oh and PPS. I've never received a Christmas card from the council either. Or an Easter card, or a Birthday card...

Guest sheridans_world
But you did receive marchin' orders from the Council and Police, for which we were grateful in our time of great need. :wink:

We didnt get in touch with the council, they didnt need to know in advance and the police were all for blocking the protest until Alan got involved.

what a waste of time that was, eh.

It achieved its purpose at the time. Without it TTA may have cut their losses and gone. Who knows?

It would be great if we could show that sort of solidarity against Leeds instead of being drowned out by 'Marchin' on together'.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

It achieved its purpose at the time. Without it TTA may have cut their losses and gone. Who knows?

we did it for the long term interest of latics..it tweaked a few noses, but its achieved nothing now.

if the TTA had gone, we might have a owner who concentrates on football issues, as well as stadium issues.

but im not getting into a match of "ifs"...we achieved nothing in the end.

It would be great if we could show that sort of solidarity against Leeds instead of being drowned out by 'Marchin' on together'.

A lot of people will not be able to go due to work.

People living and working in certain parts of Greater Manchester- yeah. I would bet that if we were playing Leeds on Saturday (even at 12.30 pm), the zeros would go.

Oldham vs Leeds league game... VERY high chance I would of come to that...

SW not for the first time misses the point...

Edited by oafc0000

Say what you want about Oldham council, but it was a very nice lady who they got to phone me up this afternoon to apologise for getting a court order against me for none payment of a bill I paid a month ago for football pitches for the fans team, which I had been holding off paying before then because of a different part of the council billing me for another pitch which I had already paid for. Still, you have to laugh.

I would have been there tonight if it hadn't been for work and ending up still in Telford at half six. Must admit I wasn't entirely gutted to miss it though, given the weather and the inevitable result.

Did anyone in the main stand offer to keep Jackie Oakley warm? She said she had five coats and two hats on and was still shivering.

Yesterday I received a card through my door from Oldham Council.

It was to wish me a happy Eid!

Not only am I offended at the thought of OMBC presuming I am a muslim because I live in Oldham, I am also offended by the thought of my council tax being wasted on bloody Eid cards! :ranting:

It's obvious which part of the electorate they are trying to curry favour with (Pun intended), and I'd rather they didn't use my money to do it.

For the record, I don't wish to receive a Christmas card from OMBC either. I'd rather see them use money wisely for once.

I think Oldham needs a mayor in the mould of the one in Doncaster ..... B)