OMBC never learn do they?

outoftheblue

Yesterday I received a card through my door from Oldham Council.

It was to wish me a happy Eid!

Not only am I offended at the thought of OMBC presuming I am a muslim because I live in Oldham, I am also offended by the thought of my council tax being wasted on bloody Eid cards! :ranting:

It's obvious which part of the electorate they are trying to curry favour with (Pun intended), and I'd rather they didn't use my money to do it.

For the record, I don't wish to receive a Christmas card from OMBC either. I'd rather see them use money wisely for once.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the point about it being a waste of money. But other than that I can't see why you're getting your knickers in a twist. They're not presuming your Muslim - they're just wishing you a Happy Eid.

I haven't had one of these cards through my door - although anyone delivering Happy Eid cards round here would likely get sent packing. Where do you live ?

Yesterday I received a card through my door from Oldham Council.

It was to wish me a happy Eid!

Not only am I offended at the thought of OMBC presuming I am a muslim because I live in Oldham, I am also offended by the thought of my council tax being wasted on bloody Eid cards! :ranting:

It's obvious which part of the electorate they are trying to curry favour with (Pun intended), and I'd rather they didn't use my money to do it.

For the record, I don't wish to receive a Christmas card from OMBC either. I'd rather see them use money wisely for once.

I haven't received a card either but would be just as annoyed as you if I did, council absolutely wasting money that could be much better spent elsewhere.

Guest Scratch2000uk

People have short memories about our beloved Lib-dems running oldham council, always in the red, and overspent, 10% council tax increases year on year, a £45 million deficit, and now ... sending cards out!!!!!! when's the last time you had a christmas card off the tits. :shock:

Another example of their ineptitude, and blatant disregard to the people who pay their council taxes. :ranting:

People have short memories about our beloved Lib-dems running oldham council, always in the red, and overspent, 10% council tax increases year on year, a £45 million deficit, and now ... sending cards out!!!!!! when's the last time you had a christmas card off the tits. :shock:

Another example of their ineptitude, and blatant disregard to the people who pay their council taxes. :ranting:

Not a Lib-Dem voter meself, but that's bollocks. The council tax rise this year was 2.5% - the second lowest rise in Grt M/cr IIRC.

However, the cards are a waste of money.

Seems strange these cards were sent to outoftheblue and no-one else. Not saying I don't believe outoftheblue - but were the cards solely happy eid cards or did they also server another purpose - information about recylcing, whatever ??

Edited by Yard Dog

Not a Lib-Dem voter meself, but that's bollocks. The council tax rise this year was 2.5% - the second lowest rise in Grt M/cr IIRC.

Three years of cuts and jobs to go.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea.../45m-black-hole

Budget blunder.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-budget-blunder

It's ridiculous isn't it. I don't know how local and central govt. get into this mess. It's not just the Lib Dems or Labour etc etc...It's all of them.

Guest Scratch2000uk

The 10% council tax increases did happen when they were last in power, as far as i remember anyway. :ranting:

Given that central government funding amounts for 70%-80% of local authority revenue, the centralised allocation of this resource can have a significant impact on the council tax rises applied locally.

Two years ago Oldham benefited from a council tax freeze. Superb news for the Labour controlled council to communicate in the run up to the local elections. A cynic would suggest that this freeze came about because Labour cronies in central government ensured that the grant allocated to Oldham was slighlty more than would have been the case had the Labour majority on the council been more than wafer-thin. Either way, they lost control anyway.

The same cynical abuse of power could, equally, have been used to starve the council of cash the last time Oldham was Liberal controlled, forcing the ruling party to choose between cuts or massive council tax increases.

I have held the following political views for many years now:

- the overwhelming majority of politicians at local and national level are tossers. There is a remarkable cross-part achievement of tosserdom out there.

- European and centralised lawmaking places new burdens on local authorities without looking to remove existing commitments and expenditures, thus forcing up taxes through whatever method they are collected.

- the last 12 years have seen absolutely no effort by politicians at any level in the country to seek out cost savings, operate absence management policies amongst a state funded workforce that has double the time off sick of the private sector or manage the public sector pension deficit (despite taxing private sector pensions out of existance in many cases) or to run departments in the interests of the people they are meant to serve.

- politicians believe they are there to pursue a career, not to serve the people who elected them.

A cynic would suggest that this freeze came about because Labour cronies in central government ensured that the grant allocated to Oldham was slighlty more than would have been the case had the Labour majority on the council been more than wafer-thin. Either way, they lost control anyway.

The same cynical abuse of power could, equally, have been used to starve the council of cash the last time Oldham was Liberal controlled, forcing the ruling party to choose between cuts or massive council tax increases.

As the Lib Dems are very unlikely to be in power nationally, and will probably continue to suffer from Government tinkering with local budgets, is there any point voting for a local Lib Dem controlled Council?

As the Lib Dems are very unlikely to be in power nationally, and will probably continue to suffer from Government tinkering with local budgets, is there any point voting for a local Lib Dem controlled Council?

If you like extra road-humps, I'd say a Lib-Dem council is a perfect choice.

My car exhaust isn't a fan personally though.

Seems strange these cards were sent to outoftheblue and no-one else. Not saying I don't believe outoftheblue - but were the cards solely happy eid cards or did they also server another purpose - information about recylcing, whatever ??

When mrs Ootb and I got together we ended up with a Chadderton home (Which is up for sale) and a Coldhurst one (Which will soon be up for sale). The Eid card was sent to the Coldhurst house.

In hindsight I wish I'd scanned the card before binning it, but I can assure you it was simply a Happy Eid card and served no other purpose.

The point I was making, is that OMBC are clearly targeting one area of the electorate (Not Chad, Royton or other predominantly white area), whilst expecting the whole Borough to fund it. It seems a very underhanded method of sweetening up potential LD voters to me.

As it happens, my Filipino (Christian) next door neighbour is extremely offended, and I presume the 3 Hindu families further along would be horrified, as they have no time for the two (Yes, just two out of 23 homes) muslim families in the street, so it seems a waste of time , effort, and MY money to me.

The 10% council tax increases did happen when they were last in power, as far as i remember anyway. :ranting:

:laught16:

Yes I think it was. But do you know why? It's exactly the same as when Labour have been in power nationally - the budget and finances are so completely f*cked that the next party is left with no choice but to oversee an initial period of huge spending cuts and similarly huge tax rises, just to prevent the borough (or the country) from going bankrupt.

But you wouldn't celebrate Eid unless you were a Muslim?

I'd celebrate L Ron Hubbard's birthday if they gave me a day off work for it.

Cards aren't that expensive, but you're right, if they're going to send Eid cards they should really send Christmas/Hannukah/Diwali cards as well.

Edited by rosa

Not my problem as my Council owns part of an airport (and I work for them), but you have to wonder:

Where the hell has this idea come form, as this will cost someone their job? Not the guy that thought of it, but the guy at the bottom who's wages this money would have been.

How did Oldham (MBC,s finances) get into this state? They took a hit with the riots, but they seem to have the debts of a third world bank at the moment. Spending it on Eid cards, waterless fountains and overlooking numerous traffic reports is nothing short of a disgrace.

I do think we have to be careful with what is a Councillors decision and what is a government led initiative. It wouldn't surprise me if this is done for inclusiveness/diversity to try and get extra stars in the next CAA assessment.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

How did Oldham (MBC,s finances) get into this state?

I would suggest that Oldham has a higher unemployment and dependant rate compared with other Borough's, so there's fewer people paying Council tax (i.e. paying into the system), but more people 'taking out' of the system (i.e. through Council and housing benefits etc.) compared to other towns...that's why Oldham has one of the highest Council tax rates in the UK. So nevermined Lib Dems fixing the increase at 2.5% - its still nearly double what more affluent towns pay.

Indeed. Another ridiculous folly dreamt up by the previous Labour administration.

and that superb (ahem) light clock thingy whatever outside spindles that is no more.

and that wonderful O2 waste of steel near tommyfield market.

..and don't get me started on tommyfield market! :ranting:

the demise of that is nothing short of a national disgrace.

all thanks to our wonderful caring sharing oldham councillors ..whatever colour rosette they wear.

all politicians are w@nkers.

all politicians are w@nkers.

A commonly held belief.

Depends how you define 'politician', I guess. There are some people with strongly held political and social beliefs who become councillors for the right reasons. But I wouldn't necessarily describe them as politicians.