Penney will succeed where Stitch, Talbot and near liquidation failed

Sacking your manager with 9 games to go with the hope we could "save" the season was the most stupid, short sighted action I have ever seen from this club. It was the wrong move, I said it at the time, and it has been proven.

Now we are 19th and looking downwards. Waiting and seeing would of cost us nothing.

The great surrender whilst occupying a season low of 7th(?) was billed as being a chance to clear the deadwood and give the new manager opportunity to bring in his own ('young, hunry') players.

Ooops.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us have a crystal ball but I was not confident of it ending well...

BUT

Sacking your manager with 9 games to go with the hope we could "save" the season was the most stupid, short sighted action I have ever seen from this club. It was the wrong move, I said it at the time, and it has been proven.

Now we are 19th and looking downwards. Waiting and seeing would of cost us nothing.

We don't know all the facts about Shez's departure, but for sure, dicipline had gone, the team were in freefall, the dressing room was lost, and the dire performances and results were there for all to see.

I trust TTA's decision was dead right.......There was absolutely no way we were going up with Shez in charge, and don't forget, it was by no means a cheap option when sacking Shez and appointing Royle. It was a last ditch attempt to save the season and I think it was done for all the right reasons.

Alas, it didn't work out, but it's easy to criticise in hindsight!!

There will always be debate about whether sacking Shez when we did was the right thing to do. To a large degree I think it's academic, because anything less than a heroic return to the play-offs and a Wembley final would have seen him sacked at the end of the season anyway.

I think we've reached a point (in terms of attendances at least) where things couldn't actually get much worse if we went down this season. I thought Penney was a good appointment in the summer, and I'm willing to stand by him for at least a second season come what may. If he really does have the same player budget as Shez had last season (something I doubt, despite what has been said) then I'm very concerned about our squad depth, but we have yet to see our best eleven turn out together so we still don't really know how well that compares.

You are totally welcome to your opinion and I still disagree... BUT please do not say that bollox about hindsight. If I did not state my feelings at the time then you might have a point but I did, so you dont...

There will always be debate about whether sacking Shez when we did was the right thing to do. To a large degree I think it's academic, because anything less than a heroic return to the play-offs and a Wembley final would have seen him sacked at the end of the season anyway.

I think we've reached a point (in terms of attendances at least) where things couldn't actually get much worse if we went down this season. I thought Penney was a good appointment in the summer, and I'm willing to stand by him for at least a second season come what may. If he really does have the same player budget as Shez had last season (something I doubt, despite what has been said) then I'm very concerned about our squad depth, but we have yet to see our best eleven turn out together so we still don't really know how well that compares.

I thought he was a poor appointment. Very bland is the words I think I used at the time and it seems I am right (I would rather not be). I still think we need to stick by him.

We don't know all the facts about Shez's departure, but for sure, dicipline had gone, the team were in freefall, the dressing room was lost, and the dire performances and results were there for all to see.

I trust TTA's decision was dead right.......There was absolutely no way we were going up with Shez in charge, and don't forget, it was by no means a cheap option when sacking Shez and appointing Royle. It was a last ditch attempt to save the season and I think it was done for all the right reasons.

Agree completely...but this is where my angst with TTA really began...Royle, back for 5 games??? TTA...crying about no fecker turning up...

SALE SALE...5 Latics Games under Royle...£50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scream it from the rooftops....

The way the commercial side has been run in recent years has at times made me shudder. That was the final straw...and maybe chance to entice some back. Instead now, we've a new Guy, trying old tricks...I applaud the £2 game but we'll not top 7,000 (esp as circumstances last time to now are completely different..playoff season, good run, Shez's decent-inherited team, higher base attendance then to now.) And also, it won't be the start of people coming back. But they can only try. Good luck to them!!!

I think we've reached a point (in terms of attendances at least) where things couldn't actually get much worse if we went down this season.

Maybe that's plan L from TTA......

We could be the Forest, Leeds, Sheff Weds etc. of League Two...go down and be in the new stadium, cheaper to throw money at it to build a good team in League Two, in-turn getting bums on seats and win promotion out of League Two back to League One..........

With the budget for this season....who knows how far from the truth that could be??? Very, very dangerous game if it was close to it......

NB: Not saying I believe this to be true....devils advocate....

I thought he was a poor appointment. Very bland is the words I think I used at the time and it seems I am right (I would rather not be). I still think we need to stick by him.

Haha...did you never hear a Shez interview? From October to March...it became the same interview week on week!

:)

I wont defend Shez... My only complaint is sacking your manager with 9 games to go will not result in good times being had by all :)

Fair enough...there was a hell of a lot leading up to it tho...Gregan-DD, Hughes antics, loanee-revolving door, Doggygate, then a run which ended with that appalling effort at home to Colchester and then being embarrassed at MK Scum. And looking at Soccerbase, that run of 3 wins in 12 (Stockport who were on their knees and Northampton, with Millwall saving his job for a couple of weeks IMO) all began with bottom of the league roasting us 5-0!

I accept you're entitled to your opinion about the 9 games thing and I sat at MK digusted at the chants for his head as, as a player, he'd earned better than that...BUT...when it happened, as a manager, I was happy for it to happen as he'd totally sent us one way with almost everything he did after the wheels came off at Hartlepool away...his 1st mistake being signing a player on loan at 4.30pm, rushing him to Edgeley Park and asking him to take his Wolves tracksuit off and put on a Latics kit a couple of hours later. Utterly amatuerish and so it continued...it's that sort of :censored: about Shez "The Manager" that we shouldn't forget. IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Maybe that's plan L from TTA......

We could be the Forest, Leeds, Sheff Weds etc. of League Two...go down and be in the new stadium, cheaper to throw money at it to build a good team in League Two, in-turn getting bums on seats and win promotion out of League Two back to League One..........

With the budget for this season....who knows how far from the truth that could be??? Very, very dangerous game if it was close to it......

NB: Not saying I believe this to be true....devils advocate....

so talbot saying it would have been better to go down wasnt a millions miles away from the truth was it if we all take the blue coloured specs off and hand on heart be honest.

i think if were bottom 3 at 1st january were going down,no two ways about it.

the thing that makes me cringe is when i read the back of tonights chron,and whittackers cooments about pushing on and getting something from the norwich game for confidence....im suprised he is still here....

so talbot saying it would have been better to go down wasnt a millions miles away from the truth was it if we all take the blue coloured specs off and hand on heart be honest.

the thing that makes me cringe is when i read the back of tonights chron,and whittackers cooments about pushing on and getting something from the norwich game for confidence....im suprised he is still here....

If we go down, watch us sink like a pebble thrown into the middle of Dovestones resevoir.

Talbot was a prick for saying it...just like our owners would be if they too were saying it! Many said it coming into this division...it's a stupid way of thinking...almost suicidal!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Talbot was a prick for saying it...just like our owners would be if they too were saying it! Many said it coming into this division...it's a stupid way of thinking, if it was being thought about. Almost suicidal!

i agree entirely

and i cant see for one moment tta wanting that to happen...the value of the club goes down and everything...the players we have now wouldnt be here instead we would have our pick off the bottom of the footballing barrel.....lose even more support than we already have and be back were we was about 30 years ago.....

penny isnt the problem...lacklustre performances from well paid players is the problem....not all his signings have worked,,but those players still here from when shez was in charge are still playing the same way and getting away with it,the only exception being greegan

whats needed is some genuine width n speed and clinical finishing,but i seriously doubt tta will bankroll us massively in january

Talbot was a prick for saying it...just like our owners would be if they too were saying it! Many said it coming into this division...it's a stupid way of thinking...almost suicidal!

He was quoted completely out of context, he didn't actually say anything like how it was generally taken

Agree completely...but this is where my angst with TTA really began...Royle, back for 5 games??? TTA...crying about no fecker turning up...

SALE SALE...5 Latics Games under Royle...£50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scream it from the rooftops....

The way the commercial side has been run in recent years has at times made me shudder. That was the final straw...and maybe chance to entice some back. Instead now, we've a new Guy, trying old tricks...I applaud the £2 game but we'll not top 7,000 (esp as circumstances last time to now are completely different..playoff season, good run, Shez's decent-inherited team, higher base attendance then to now.) And also, it won't be the start of people coming back. But they can only try. Good luck to them!!!

Edit: Just remembered a conversation with Lois last saturday

Edited by tangerinedreams

i think your really getting off on this corp.....

what on earth would you do if we was in the top 3 and lookin nailed on for the playoffs....

can you give it up for christmas....just a thought

What would I do? Nothing apart from hoping we'll get through the play-offs while knowing in my heart that the same thing as usual will happen, and that the budget will be cut as a result of another failure and we'll be struggling to retain Football League status in no time at all. Just look at the pattern of our relegations since 1994 to see how it goes. I'll hum it, you play it.

I won't be at the matches to witness any of this, as I made up my mind some time ago that if we end up back where it all started for me*, I'm not going. Too hard to stomach.

*Although I started going in 1972-3, the 1970-1 season was the one in which I first became aware of OAFC.

Edit: Just remembered a conversation with Lois last saturday

because im guessing....off what i know,there isnt anybody capable of doing it in the club...everybody who ever goes into bp says its like going back 30 years,nothing changes....

they could of had someone off here probably for a lot less money and a season ticket...but there ya go

because im guessing....off what i know,there isnt anybody capable of doing it in the club...everybody who ever goes into bp says its like going back 30 years,nothing changes....

they could of had someone off here probably for a lot less money and a season ticket...but there ya go

................................................................................

Edited by tangerinedreams

Obviously, few on here know what's going on properly at other clubs, but I honestly think we're the Laurel and Hardy of League One. We're a joke. The whole set-up is an utter balls-up. The fans, players, manager, and the owners.

I say Penney's a joke. He's the one I sympathise with. He's scraped together a side which has got so many confidence players it defies belief. His luck has been unreal. The injuries has clearly effected us massively. My main gripe with him: the final third. I haven't seen us this bad in front of goal since I've been going. On Tuesday we had Parker drifting left and Heffernan drifting right. Who's in the box? Nobody. It doesn't take a bleedin' genius to see it. When Abbott returns I wouldn't mind seeing them all up top and use three in midfield, because there's about as much point in a circle as us having wingers out there.

And are we still talking about Sheridan? Why? He had to go. I don't know what was worse, the results or the football. I didn't call for his head, but the Dons disaster was the final straw. Shame, but he had to go. Get over it.

The owners. I don't even know where to start. They're absolute morons. Like Sheridan, they've out-stayed their welcome. They've took us as far as they possibly can. They're out of their depths here. Simple. The clangers they've dropped are laughable. I imagine they've got a team around them - they're berks too! Start with the commercial side of things. I've seen a few lambast that area. My personal favourite is the fact they call themselves buisnessmen; a recession doens't just happen over night. Go to bed, wake up and bang. Financial meltdown. So what did they do? I think we all know. It involves £100,000 and a stand being levelled. I think they're actually embarassed. They were giving a bit of mouth a year ago. They've gone very quiet now. Laurel and Hardy would be proud.

We deserve relegation to be blunt.

Obviously, few on here know what's going on properly at other clubs, but I honestly think we're the Laurel and Hardy of League One. We're a joke. The whole set-up is an utter balls-up. The fans, players, manager, and the owners.

I say Penney's a joke. He's the one I sympathise with. He's scraped together a side which has got so many confidence players it defies belief. His luck has been unreal. The injuries has clearly effected us massively. My main gripe with him: the final third. I haven't seen us this bad in front of goal since I've been going. On Tuesday we had Parker drifting left and Heffernan drifting right. Who's in the box? Nobody. It doesn't take a bleedin' genius to see it. When Abbott returns I wouldn't mind seeing them all up top and use three in midfield, because there's about as much point in a circle as us having wingers out there.

And are we still talking about Sheridan? Why? He had to go. I don't know what was worse, the results or the football. I didn't call for his head, but the Dons disaster was the final straw. Shame, but he had to go. Get over it.

The owners. I don't even know where to start. They're absolute morons. Like Sheridan, they've out-stayed their welcome. They've took us as far as they possibly can. They're out of their depths here. Simple. The clangers they've dropped are laughable. I imagine they've got a team around them - they're berks too! Start with the commercial side of things. I've seen a few lambast that area. My personal favourite is the fact they call themselves buisnessmen; a recession doens't just happen over night. Go to bed, wake up and bang. Financial meltdown. So what did they do? I think we all know. It involves £100,000 and a stand being levelled. I think they're actually embarassed. They were giving a bit of mouth a year ago. They've gone very quiet now. Laurel and Hardy would be proud.

What a :censored:ing depressing post, and you know what? I agree with every word! :grin:

Pass me the razors... :(

Its hard to argue against a lot of that...

I would say when I say I did not want Shez sacked, I am just talking about with 9 games to go... I wanted him gone in the summer if he failed to get us promoted (I never wanted him in the first place). I was far from happy with his performance.... I just felt it was a knee jerk reaction which ended the very distant hope of promotion. This idea of saving the season was laughable.

Edited by oafc0000