Soooo, rumours quashed or more doubts raised?

No doubt the game is in a sad state, and I have feared for a longtime that the bottom two divisions will become regoinalised and almost certainly part time.

But after hearing some of the information relayed last night, I do however have confidence that our club is in a better position to survive as a going concern than many. I think we either accept where we are and move forward and try and be the best we can, and for my part I want the club to survive, so this is the path I'm choosing; or as I have posted before we all give up the ghost (pardon the pun) and let the club die.

As I say, I know what I want.

That's another way of saying bring on the new Scunthope or Colchester, though, isn't it? (Or even the new Rochdale...)

It won't be enough to sustain the interest of enough of the Oldham population.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowadays, living within your means at this level unfortunately means staying at this level.

Risky as it is, unless you're a big city club temprarily slumming it, it takes a seriously wealthy benefactor, or else living dangerously, to kickstart a club and get it rising through the divisions to where the money is.

The only thing that can save us from eternal mediocrity, and probably further decline, is a root-and-branch reform of the financial structure of the game. How likely is that?

Sometimes you come so close to saying that what is being done is the best option we currently have.

Sometimes you come so close to saying that what is being done is the best option we currently have.

As I've said elsewhere, I fully understand the reasoning behind it, particularly as the club has been allowed to fall so far behind where the real action is.

I just don't relish it or think that it will even work.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I wonder how much revenue the 13664 empty seats brought in to the coffers of Bradford City at their last home game?

They have a capacity of 25136 - Last attendance - 11472.

Doing them the world of good those extra seats, all that ambition has seen them soar to 11th in the 4th Division. They must like having a nearly capacity all seater, 4 stand BP extra to play with each home game.

Still, I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation that I am too thick to understand that will be clearly spelled out to me shortly that shows this has no relevance to anything.

I wonder how much revenue the 13664 empty seats brought in to the coffers of Bradford City at their last home game?

Doing them the world of good those extra seats, all that ambition has seen them soar to 11th in the 4th Division. They must like having a nearly capacity all seater, 4 stand BP extra to play with each home game.

Still, I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation that I am too thick to understand that will be clearly spelled out to me shortly that shows this has no relevance to anything.

You forgot to mention how they actually manage to get that many in, heavily subsidised season tickets.

If you look at the history of the game almost all clubs have always had ground capacities far in excess of their average home gate at any given time. Capacity depends on how many big games against big clubs you think you're going to be staging. Like other clubs who build grounds with small capacities, Latics clearly don't expect to be staging many anymore. They don't seem to even plan to capitalise on a game like Huddersfield in the cup a couple of years ago. Sad but true.

I'd see more reason to sneer at Bradford's 11472 if we weren't currently getting 3500 home fans. At Failsworth, once the dust settles, we'll be lucky to get 3500 all told for games against Aldershot and Accrington.

The relevance to Latics is that both clubs have many stayaway fans who sit in their club's respective Premier League shirts while watching Sky TV. Why would they possibly want to spend money trying to repeat all that excitement they experienced in their club's glory days of promotion and narrowly avoiding relegation?

They think that supporting lower league clubs is for dummies!

The relevance to Latics is that both clubs have many stayaway fans who sit in their club's respective Premier League shirts while watching Sky TV. Why would they possibly want to spend money trying to repeat all that excitement they experienced in their club's glory days of promotion and narrowly avoiding relegation?

They think that supporting lower league clubs is for dummies!

If a club falls down the divisions and shows no signs of knowing what to do about its plight, fans increasingly begin to stay away. There is nothing unique to Latics or Bradford in that repect, and nor is it a new phenomenon.

When it comes to this club, you've seen nowt yet.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

dont know about this postcode drivel but kingsway is the perfect place for a new stadium, i am not against the use of a shared stadium for oldham and rochdale apart from pathetic prejudices against sharing the ground with a rival, i cant see any reason why this wouldnt be a perfect solution for both clubs.

If Rochdale were looking at a new stadium I would agree. It halves the upkeep of the ground, and I don't thing that there is much animosity between the fans. Maybe Rochdale fans wouldn't like it much, because we have always thought of them as beneath us, and now we (metaphorically speaking) are wanting to share with them when we are more or less at the same level.

Frankly I can't understand Liverpool and Everton not wanting to share. It's totally different if one club closes and moves in with another, but a brand new ground belongs equally to both.

Who is sneering at Bradford, just questioning how much income their Premier League BPs worth of empty seats generate on the match day and non-match days.

I said I was too thick to see what this has to do with anything.

And if football is as predictable as you see it to be, please can you let me know the results for Saturday as I would like to fill the coupon out and get it to the bookies before booking my holiday to celebrate my winnings.

Who is sneering at Bradford, just questioning how much income their Premier League BPs worth of empty seats generate on the match day and non-match days.

I said I was too thick to see what this has to do with anything.

And if football is as predictable as you see it to be, please can you let me know the results for Saturday as I would like to fill the coupon out and get it to the bookies before booking my holiday to celebrate my winnings.

It's just that the enthusiasts for a stadium with a fourth division capacity talk as if nearly all clubs haven't played in front of banks of empty seats or terracing for most of the time. It isn't anything new. Capacity is about what kind of good times you intend to have. It seems that ours are going to be modest in the extreme-if they come at all.

You can't predict results very easily, but it's relatively simple to look at the trajectory a club has been on, and its reaction to its current plight, and say where you think its going with a great deal of accuracy. Wait and see.

....... but it's relatively simple to look at the trajectory a club has been on, and its reaction to its current plight, and say where you think its going with a great deal of accuracy.

But it is relatively simple to look at the trajectory of the aforementioned clubs and comment on where they are going, with a great deal of accuracy. Surely you can spare a few seconds to predict where they are going with a tremendous degree of accuracy.

If a club falls down the divisions and shows no signs of knowing what to do about its plight, fans increasingly begin to stay away. There is nothing unique to Latics or Bradford in that repect, and nor is it a new phenomenon.

When it comes to this club, you've seen nowt yet.

Well, actually I have. I've seen Latics play in the bottom flight at BP in front of crowds ranging from 2,500 (Hull City in the Third Division North) to 27,888 (Peterborough in the Fourth Division). If many of those present had been told that, one day, we'd be playing in the top flight for three seasons, and make two trips to Wembley, they'd have been well-satisfied and not wanted to return to those depths again.

It's just that the enthusiasts for a stadium with a fourth division capacity talk as if nearly all clubs haven't played in front of banks of empty seats or terracing for most of the time. It isn't anything new. Capacity is about what kind of good times you intend to have. It seems that ours are going to be modest in the extreme-if they come at all.

You can't predict results very easily, but it's relatively simple to look at the trajectory a club has been on, and its reaction to its current plight, and say where you think its going with a great deal of accuracy. Wait and see.

I'm suprised you bother going or taking the time out to post on here then...... why not just give up?

Well, actually I have. I've seen Latics play in the bottom flight at BP in front of crowds ranging from 2,500 (Hull City in the Third Division North) to 27,888 (Peterborough in the Fourth Division). If many of those present had been told that, one day, we'd be playing in the top flight for three seasons, and make two trips to Wembley, they'd have been well-satisfied and not wanted to return to those depths again.

Ditto....and possibly the best time ever watching Latics were not the glory years of the Royle era....but '71 to '75 with the majority of time being spent in the same league as we are now.....where crowds came back from the brink of similar to today to something akin to what might now delight us....

.....the difference ?

A product on the pitch!

Ditto....and possibly the best time ever watching Latics were not the glory years of the Royle era....but '71 to '75 with the majority of time being spent in the same league as we are now.....where crowds came back from the brink of similar to today to something akin to what might now delight us....

.....the difference ?

A product on the pitch!

That's what we're waiting for, some of us at BP, some anywhere but BP.

(I posted this on the wrong thread.....it might be more in context here!)

I was chatting to a United supporting mate in the back of a cab a few weeks ago (and he's a proper footy fan to be fair to him, goes home and away, Europe, used to watch Latics occasionally etc) and pointed out the proposed site. Firstly he commended the intention, then he raised an eyebrow at the location, then he said "So what's the capacity to be? 20,000?". I sheepishly muttered 12,000. His response? :goggle:

I'd be so much happier if it could be just 25% more - 15,000. For me, the expense would be worth the better perception, status and subsequent prospects, not to mention the additional revenue it could eventually generate.

What, so put the club in more debt just so you can save face in front of your pals?!

I recognise all that. But you know what I meant.