On the way back from Manchester this morning I pulled off Broadway and saw that the team were training so I pulled into the carpark and walked over to the railings, Pawel Abbott was doing gentle jogging round Ferney Fields, I asked him how the operation had gone, his reply was that the second one went well! I asked when he would be back, the reply was "I'm hoping to be back in 2 weeks time" He then went back into the compound and was doing short sharp left foot passing, nothing too strenuous, I then concentrated on what was going on the training pitch.....7 a-side, 3 minute/ 2 minute, 3 touch play.

End of training session: I was expecting to see a 15-20 minute warm down...... nets picked up/ balls bagged away and cones collected end of training session, I can now see why there are so many muscle strains, but even so the players should be doing this themselves and not just when prompted to by Penney, by the time they have got back to the dressing room their muscles would have tightened up :disappointed:

Edited by tangerinedreams

On the way back from Manchester this morning I pulled off Broadway and saw that the team were training so I pulled into the carpark and walked over to the railings, Pawel Abbott was doing gentle jogging round Ferney Fields, I asked him how the operation had gone, his reply was that the second one went well! I asked when he would be back, the reply was "I'm hoping to be back in 2 weeks time" He then went back into the compound and was doing short sharp left foot passing, nothing too strenuous, I then concentrated on what was going on the training pitch.....7 a-side, 3 minute/ 2 minute, 3 touch play.

End of training session: I was expecting to see a 15-20 minute warm down...... nets picked up/ balls bagged away and cones collected end of training session, I can now see why there are so many muscle strains, but even so the players should be doing this themselves and not just when prompted to by Penney, by the time they have got back to the dressing room their muscles would have tightened up :disappointed:

i vaguely remember our beloved physio marc thingummyjig saying on his appointment that thigh/calf/groin/or any other type of these common strains as being a cardinal sin whilst the squad are under him as most of them can be prevented through correct training methods.......where the heck is he in this ???......the players are falling like flies under his care.

.....End of training session: I was expecting to see a 15-20 minute warm down...... nets picked up/ balls bagged away and cones collected end of training session, I can now see why there are so many muscle strains, but even so the players should be doing this themselves and not just when prompted to by Penney, by the time they have got back to the dressing room their muscles would have tightened up :disappointed:

Said this on a couple of other threads that concern the teams training; but that in bold really doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I’ve seen nothing this season in terms of the pre-match, half time & post game squad work to suggest that there is a properly thought out & implemented training regime in place here at present in terms of muscle stretching and warm-up’s / warm downs.

The most worrying thing for me is the lack of warm-downs that are happening; our sub’s just shoot straight up the steps and into the changing rooms or more worryingly; stick a top on and sit on the bench.

So, no warm-down after training doesn’t remotely surprise me………….now this just might be a coincidence* but just how many injuries have we had so far; I do forget?

Very poor all this in my opinion this season.

*by the way, it’s not a coincidence!!!!!

.....End of training session: I was expecting to see a 15-20 minute warm down...... nets picked up/ balls bagged away and cones collected end of training session, I can now see why there are so many muscle strains, but even so the players should be doing this themselves and not just when prompted to by Penney, by the time they have got back to the dressing room their muscles would have tightened up :disappointed:

Said this on a couple of other threads that concern the teams training; but that in bold really doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I’ve seen nothing this season in terms of the pre-match, half time & post game squad work to suggest that there is a properly thought out & implemented training regime in place here at present in terms of muscle stretching and warm-up’s / warm downs.

The most worrying thing for me is the lack of warm-downs that are happening; our sub’s just shoot straight up the steps and into the changing rooms or more worryingly; stick a top on and sit on the bench.

So, no warm-down after training doesn’t remotely surprise me………….now this just might be a coincidence* but just how many injuries have we had so far; I do forget?

Very poor all this in my opinion this season.

*by the way, it’s not a coincidence!!!!!

Where's rudemedic when you need him?

Edited by Loftyboy

What is this pick on me day? To be honest given the number of people with degrees in sports science on this board its more their sort of thing. But from what I remember warming down is important but not as important as warming up. Some ice-baths are great at preventing injuries too as they promote healing.

Next time the running is on- have a look at what the people who don't win do- they go straight back up the tunnel or do their manadatory press interviews- they don't do any visible warm down. It could be that the OP didn't see the warm down the squad do inside the gym/whereever as i doubt a football team spends all its time training outside in this weather.

What is this pick on me day?

:grin:

To be honest given the number of people with degrees in sports science on this board its more their sort of thing. But from what I remember warming down is important but not as important as warming up.

Equal measure of both I find.

What is this pick on me day? To be honest given the number of people with degrees in sports science on this board its more their sort of thing. But from what I remember warming down is important but not as important as warming up. Some ice-baths are great at preventing injuries too as they promote healing.

Next time the running is on- have a look at what the people who don't win do- they go straight back up the tunnel or do their manadatory press interviews- they don't do any visible warm down. It could be that the OP didn't see the warm down the squad do inside the gym/whereever as i doubt a football team spends all its time training outside in this weather.

It is quite possible that I didn't see any warm down but after collecting everything up and wandering off it was 11:45.....dinnertime.....I know it is a shame that they have to train in these inclement weather conditions.....my heart really does go out to them.

It is quite possible that I didn't see any warm down but after collecting everything up and wandering off it was 11:45.....dinnertime.....I know it is a shame that they have to train in these inclement weather conditions.....my heart really does go out to them.

Not sure if 11.45 is dinner time in football world. Training in the cold is more risky and time consuming than training in the warm as you have to stay warm and so need to keep re-warming up.

Not sure if 11.45 is dinner time in football world. Training in the cold is more risky and time consuming than training in the warm as you have to stay warm and so need to keep re-warming up.

A Ralgex and Tiger Balm rub down before training is my way of reducing the risks, keeps you nice and warm.