BBC Sports Personality

It's an odd one the "Personality" bit. For as long as I can remember, the award has gone to someone who achieved something special that year or who had been consistently one of the best of their sport and the GBP (great British public) decided it was their turn.

I can't remember a single time when the award was given to someone because of their "personality".

I expected Button to win it to be honest - and if anything he's even more boring than Giggsy... :lol:

Absolute Disgrace- how many games did he play for the scummers this year? He isn't even first choice anymore (certainly wasn't whilst they had the winker playing for them). I'd have given it to Button or Ennis (who is just as attractive minimum as Pendleton IMHO). In many ways it was a bit of a farce he was nominated but he is one of the few British footballers who were within a shot- not like they could have given it to Gerrard or Lampard this year is it and they needed a footballer on the nominations. It just goes to show that when you have a phone vote you can't rely on the majority of the people not being blinded by prejudice idiots. The scummers down the road must have been voting like mad-men the Welsh must have gone crazy too.

To be fair to Giggs, although I didn't hear what he said he did look more than a bit embarrassed to win the award this year when he hasn't even been close in previous years.

Might have known there'd be bitterness on here!

He is a champion. And he's probably been a champion more often than the rest of the contenders put together.

It is not bitterness... If they want to put him up a life time achievement award I will be fully behind it... What's he done during 2009 to earn this award ? Its a year;y award recognising achievements during that year...

The personality bit has never been applicable...most sports men are boring bastards...

Edited by oafc0000

a lifetime achievement i'd forgive,but its the "great" british public who voted the twatty twins in x fuctor, the "great" british public who voted jordon to have extra bushtucker everynight..

why didn't the "great" british public carry on the joke and vote brian talbot as 2009 sports personality of the year? :lol:

go on,admit it it...its a fix.

True, a lifetime achievement award might have been more appropriate.

Mind you, he's been their best player so far this season - he might not play every game but he's in the eleven for the big ones.

Looking at that list though he is still about 8th / 9th at best...

99 would of been the right year to give it to him...but its a truly team sport he competes in and I might be wrong but wasn't the whole united 99 team recognised that year... ?

He got the player of the year last season, which was also a farce, that should have been enough.

Incidentally, it used to be voted on by people who posted in their coupons from the Radio Times, so the likes of Steve Davis won because the grannies thought he was a nice polite young man and they liked looking at his bum when he was playing a shot.

Its a complete joke. Tom Daley would have been my choice. World Champion at 15, can't really beat that. Haye became world champion without throwing many punches and Button won the world championship due to his great start to the season which was mainly due to his team exploiting a loophole in a rule.

On a side note, anybody think the womens cricket team were robbed of the team of the year award? okay the men won the ashes, but that wasnt the achievement it was in 2005 (dont get me wrong, still great to win it) but the women this year had won everything they could i think it were their ashes, the one day world cup and 20T world cup too, correct me if im wrong?

Edited by Oafc88

On a side note, anybody think the womens cricket team were robbed of the team of the year award? okay the men won the ashes, but that wasnt the achievement it was in 2005 (dont get me wrong, still great to win it) but the women this year had won everything they could i think it were their ashes, the one day world cup and 20T world cup too, correct me if im wrong?

Good shout.