BBC Sports Personality

Button won the world championship due to his great start to the season which was mainly due to his team exploiting a loophole in a rule.

That's utter bollocks, and shows your ignorance of F1.

Despite him playing for the Scum, I don't really mind Giggs. I guess this is a swansong to a great career.

Its a complete joke. Tom Daley would have been my choice. World Champion at 15, can't really beat that. Haye became world champion without throwing many punches and Button won the world championship due to his great start to the season which was mainly due to his team exploiting a loophole in a rule.

Diving, like Gymnastics, is a young person's sport- we had someone with an Olympic silver medal retire age 28 to become Daley's coach/mentor having been a pro of sorts for over 10 years. I wouldn't mind betting he isn't the youngest diving world champion. He gets a load of kudos for being so young if he was 7 years older no-one would have a clue who he is.

The award has never really had anything to do with 'personality'. I know it's not quite sport and he's an arrogant :censored:, but why has Phil Taylor never been recognised?

The England womens' cricket and football teams have done well this year, but none of it is ever fair. I don't even watch the programme because it's :censored:e, utter :censored:e.

Absolute Disgrace- how many games did he play for the scummers this year? He isn't even first choice anymore (certainly wasn't whilst they had the winker playing for them). I'd have given it to Button or Ennis (who is just as attractive minimum as Pendleton IMHO). In many ways it was a bit of a farce he was nominated but he is one of the few British footballers who were within a shot- not like they could have given it to Gerrard or Lampard this year is it and they needed a footballer on the nominations. It just goes to show that when you have a phone vote you can't rely on the majority of the people not being blinded by prejudice idiots. The scummers down the road must have been voting like mad-men the Welsh must have gone crazy too.

To be fair to Giggs, although I didn't hear what he said he did look more than a bit embarrassed to win the award this year when he hasn't even been close in previous years.

Got to take issue with you there medic, I know its all a matter of opinion but Ennis is not in the same league as Pendleton for body and looks IMHO. although she may have a better personality. :wink:

Got to take issue with you there medic, I know its all a matter of opinion but Ennis is not in the same league as Pendleton for body and looks IMHO. although she may have a better personality. :wink:

Got a problem with Miss Pendleton's personality have you? I suggest we meet face to face to discuss this rather than hiding behind keyboards :bat:

Really? It's a little simplistic but I wouldn't say it's utter bollocks.

Maybe a little harsh, but basically true. And here's why:

Two things won Button the championship. The first was a series of near-perfect drives, and not just at the start of the season. Consistent, quick, few errors. Just think of all the people Barrichello tagged throughout the season (and he had the same car as Button). Vettel is only young and still improving, but he made costly errors when under pressure. Button didn't. He pushed when necessary, quietly pumping in fast laps. His overtaking was on a par with Hamilton and Alonso. He may have been too conservative for some in the second half of the season, but the championship is a marathon, not a sprint. His drive in Brazil was stunning, even though he didn't have the car underneath him to win.

The second thing is the team. Like it or not, F1 is a team sport and the driver is just a small part of that team. Button's team did a better job than anybody else, just as Ferrari did for Schumacher for much of the last decade, and Williams did for Hill and Mansell before him. In fact, you probably have to go back to 1994/5 since the championship was won in a car significantly inferior to the class of the field. F1 design is all about interpreting the rules, and Honda did it best (don't forget that Toyota and Williams also started with the double diffuser, and neither troubled the leaderboard much). Ross Brawn even tried to get the diffuser loophole closed when the rules were being finalised, but he was unsuccessful. In any case, the Brawn car was badly compromised in other ways to accomodate the Mercedes engine, which makes their performance even more amazing.

Maybe a little harsh, but basically true. And here's why:

Two things won Button the championship. The first was a series of near-perfect drives, and not just at the start of the season. Consistent, quick, few errors. Just think of all the people Barrichello tagged throughout the season (and he had the same car as Button). Vettel is only young and still improving, but he made costly errors when under pressure. Button didn't. He pushed when necessary, quietly pumping in fast laps. His overtaking was on a par with Hamilton and Alonso. He may have been too conservative for some in the second half of the season, but the championship is a marathon, not a sprint. His drive in Brazil was stunning, even though he didn't have the car underneath him to win.

The second thing is the team. Like it or not, F1 is a team sport and the driver is just a small part of that team. Button's team did a better job than anybody else, just as Ferrari did for Schumacher for much of the last decade, and Williams did for Hill and Mansell before him. In fact, you probably have to go back to 1994/5 since the championship was won in a car significantly inferior to the class of the field. F1 design is all about interpreting the rules, and Honda did it best (don't forget that Toyota and Williams also started with the double diffuser, and neither troubled the leaderboard much). Ross Brawn even tried to get the diffuser loophole closed when the rules were being finalised, but he was unsuccessful. In any case, the Brawn car was badly compromised in other ways to accomodate the Mercedes engine, which makes their performance even more amazing.

So "Button" is fantastic. Hip hip flipping hooray. He's still not winning Sports Personality of the Year award though - and not for the standard reason that he has no personality.

No. Jenson Button isn't winning because DRIVING A CAR IS NOT A SPORT.

So "Button" is fantastic. Hip hip flipping hooray. He's still not winning Sports Personality of the Year award though - and not for the standard reason that he has no personality.

No. Jenson Button isn't winning because DRIVING A CAR IS NOT A SPORT.

:lol:

I love it when you're all domineering, Mr. Tulsehill :wink:

:grin: Neither is riding a horse in that case, but they always seem to do well.

Not that I have much time for the events or the people who do them, but horsey stuff has been considered a sport for millenia. Driving a car on the other hand should be filed alongside Patience, Shove H'apenny, competitive :censored: growing, gurning and snooker as a pastime.