Rochdale it is then

With todays game at the monkey hangers falling foul of the weather, I'm off to Rochdale on a scouting trip to see what difference there is in Mr O'Grady's performances from when he was our player.

Saw him in the friendly at Halifax in pre season and was fairly impressed with his all round play. There again, I have always been impressed with his all round play.

What I'll be looking for is whether or not he has developed that strikers instinct, gambles in the box and has become a genuine goalscorer, or if he is scoring because league 4 defenders are generally crap.

Will be interesting to see why a player who last season failed at 2 league 4 clubs has come good this season.

And before anyone says it's the service he gets at Dale, you can have all the service in the world, but if you don't get in the box to get on the end of that service, you won't score. That is what we have missed this season, a cutting edge. For all his supposed faults, Colbeck has put some excellent crosses into the box but we have had no one seeing whats coming, no one gambling that he will put the ball in there. The question for me is will O'Grady have developed that knack of seeing whats on and gambling?

I'll report back later

With todays game at the monkey hangers falling foul of the weather, I'm off to Rochdale on a scouting trip to see what difference there is in Mr O'Grady's performances from when he was our player.

Saw him in the friendly at Halifax in pre season and was fairly impressed with his all round play. There again, I have always been impressed with his all round play.

What I'll be looking for is whether or not he has developed that strikers instinct, gambles in the box and has become a genuine goalscorer, or if he is scoring because league 4 defenders are generally crap.

Will be interesting to see why a player who last season failed at 2 league 4 clubs has come good this season.

And before anyone says it's the service he gets at Dale, you can have all the service in the world, but if you don't get in the box to get on the end of that service, you won't score. That is what we have missed this season, a cutting edge. For all his supposed faults, Colbeck has put some excellent crosses into the box but we have had no one seeing whats coming, no one gambling that he will put the ball in there. The question for me is will O'Grady have developed that knack of seeing whats on and gambling?

I'll report back later

Good man. Thought about goin,myself.

COG has also created a lot for Rochdale this season.

I'll report back later

Also playing with a team which has been gradually improved and put together over the last 3 or 4 years. Rather than our usual 10 out 10 in every close season, resulting in a team resembling a bunch of strangers thrown together for a good few months.

I saw O'Grady against Bury, he was similar to what little we saw of him here. Held the ball up all day and brought others into play. They had Dagnall in the box all the time. Keith Hill has said he's in the side for this and any goals he gets are a bonus- good statement, but easy to say when your other striker has bagged 12 goals, and others are chipping in as well.. 7 - from a centre half- Dawson who apparently we had on trial?!

It seem's O'Grady has found the knack of gambling with some of the goals I've seen, most have been first time finishes in the top corner :shock: .... probably come with more game time, confidence-from him and team mates (and management).. and overall patience!

Edited by Butter

Also playing with a team which has been gradually improved and put together over the last 3 or 4 years. Rather than our usual 10 out 10 in every close season, resulting in a team resembling a bunch of strangers thrown together for a good few months.

I saw O'Grady against Bury, he was similar to what little we saw of him here. Held the ball up all day and brought others into play. They had Dagnall in the box all the time. Keith Hill has said he's in the side for this and any goals he gets are a bonus- good statement, but easy to say when your other striker has bagged 12 goals, and others are chipping in as well.. 7 - from a centre half- Dawson who apparently we had on trial?!

It seem's O'Grady has found the knack of gambling with some of the goals I've seen, most have been first time finishes in the top corner :shock: .... probably come with more game time, confidence-from him and team mates (and management).. and overall patience!

That is what is of most interest to me.

I don't think that there are many Latics fans who don't think that O'Grady does a lot of good work outside the box. His holdup play, bringing others into the game, closing down of defenders etc is all good. His problem has been that when the ball is in the box, he hasn't read what is going on/likely to happen. To be a decent player at our level he needs a fair return of goals. Four or five in a season will not get him in any team in League 1, no matter how good his work is outside the box.

I want to see if he has added being a "fox in the box" or being able to see/know where his wingers crosses are going to go. I want to see that if he comes back to BP we have a player that is doing what no one else currently is and that is being on the end of a Colbeck cross on the edge of the 6 yard box. If he is then great it will be welcome back Chris O'Grady (and all of a sudden people will be saying what a good player Colbeck has become.) If he isn't, then we may as well take whatever fee we can get (bearing in mind he is out of contract at the end of the season) and wish him good luck

I'll report back later

I wonder where our Mr Penney will be spending his Monday afternoon?

Another goal for O'Grady in a 4 v 1 win....Rochdale will take some stopping now with a goal fifference of +30 and 14 points clear of 4th place.

Also a pretty decent crowd today.... 4309.

I think Dale are benifitting from a settled forward line who have remained injury free for the first half of the season!!

Just got back from spotland. Great game and if you're after attacking, entertaining football, Rochdale is your place.

With regard to ogrady, full of confidence, great goal, great assist, great all round performance.

But I still don't think we should recall him. Yes he's in top form but he works well with dagnall and he definately suits a target man role in a team that looks like they will score every time they go forward. Rochdale are playing in a totally opposite way to latics and he suits that style of play better. For me he is too similar to Abbott and if we let him go permanently it could work well in our favour in the long run.

Another goal for O'Grady in a 4 v 1 win....Rochdale will take some stopping now with a goal fifference of +30 and 14 points clear of 4th place.

Also a pretty decent crowd today.... 4309.

Including several Latics fans, compared to Burton Albion's 5801, including two Latics fans. Not that decent really.

Just got back from spotland. Great game and if you're after attacking, entertaining football, Rochdale is your place.

With regard to ogrady, full of confidence, great goal, great assist, great all round performance.

But I still don't think we should recall him. Yes he's in top form but he works well with dagnall and he definately suits a target man role in a team that looks like they will score every time they go forward. Rochdale are playing in a totally opposite way to latics and he suits that style of play better. For me he is too similar to Abbott and if we let him go permanently it could work well in our favour in the long run.

ummm....how?

Including several Latics fans, compared to Burton Albion's 5801, including two Latics fans. Not that decent really.

For 'dale it is.

Up a thousand on last seasons gate against Morecambe who never bring an awful lot. Up 1,800 on the last home match against Shrewsbury.

Only really see crowds like that during the course of the season against Bury and Bradford in that league. Hilly and Dunphy will be happy if it continues as 'dale budgeted this season on average gates of 3,300. Which they'd only got anywhere near reaching in three games this season so far (Chesterfield, Bury and Accy)

Does help that the local rag now realises it has a football club doing well - rather than just waiting till they get to the playoffs to give them a decent write up.

Massive game against Rotherham on saturday.

TIME TO BELIEVE! :grin:

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I'll report back later

just a quick one... harry dowd..can't fault the dedication..but how the blazers do you get time out to go to bloody rochdale

just a quick one... harry dowd..can't fault the dedication..but how the blazers do you get time out to go to bloody rochdale

Already had a pass out to go to Hartlepool.

As Mrs D doesn't do the away games, the last thing she wanted was me under her feet for a few hours when she already had her own plans.

Now if it had been a home game, that may have been a different story.

I'd have had to take her with me :wink:

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt