• iain dowie
    • alan irvine
    • brian laws
    • peter taylor
    • lee duxbury
    • keith hill
    • jim gannon
    • other
  2. 2. if dave penney, how long do you give him?

• 5 games
    • easter
    • end of season
    • next xmas
    • until his contract is up
    • as long as he needs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be different here and keep the manager we've agreed a contract with and give him time to do the job that he's been asked to do/the board have asked him to do!!

Yet another common sense statement probably unwarranted here - i apologise :disappointed:

But if the job he was asked to do was to get us to mid table/keep us in this division, with the same playing budget as last season, by which Shez kept the team in the top six for much of the season, and we look like getting relegated, then he isnt doing the job he was asked to do.

I would agree with 0000 completely here, look at the situation between mid feb/end of feb then see where we are.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother sacking him if we went down. It'd be pretty pointless.

He wasnt brought here to take us down though was he, I would like to think that if the board of directors reached the conclusion that Dave Penney would get us relegated, him and his management team will have been informed to clear their desk and have received their P45's not long after this conclusion has been reached.

He wasnt brought here to take us down though was he, I would like to think that if the board of directors reached the conclusion that Dave Penney would get us relegated, him and his management team will have been informed to clear their desk and have received their P45's not long after this conclusion has been reached.

I think his point is the real problem lies with the board... There is some truth in it, but only some... DP has had the money and the time (a heavily backed reason for letting shez go with 9 games to go) and we are 19th...

Give him till next christmas i say,

they said at start of the season this season is about overhaul, getting the club sorted, not what we see on the field, but further down.

Only some managers can change things around a few months

give him a chance

Look, there’s no point in changing your manager more often than some posters on here change their underwear.

If we sack DP; ala Shez, Ronnie and Talberk – then the compensation alone for him and Gray, Collitte (spl I know!!) is probably more than we can afford to shell out right now.

Then you factor in the usual mass turn-a-round of players that ensues when a current manager is sacked and a new one is brought in – the much used media line of ‘bring in my type of player’ etc are bounded around – the paid-up contracts of released player and transfer fees (if any) and signing on fees paid out for the new players would be out of our financial reach at present.

I have voted for Penney as manager and for at least until the end of his contract.

Even if we go down this year; there is no point in sacking the current manager. IN L2 we would be even less of an attractive proposition to prospective managerial candidates, and it usually plays out that teams who keep faith with managers bounce up again. Let alone DP has experience & pedigree in L2.

I personally feel that once a consistent starting X1 can be fielded for a concerted amount of time; with our better players being in that X1 too, then we will pull out of the area of the table we currently occupy and will reach (and stay) the dizzying height of upper mid-table.

I have, at times this season, been a bit disappointed with DP’s tactics and selections - but the calls for his head (albeit from a minority) are for me, far to premature and a tad unrealistic. End of his contract and we see where we are; both league wise and state of the club (ground move, TTA’s involvement etc) before any moves should be made manager wise……..if we constantly chop & change managers; we’re on a hiding to absolutely nothing.

So if we are 22nd in March would you still be pushing that line ?

Yes. You said evaluate him around march, but if decide not to keep him, what money are you planning on using to pay up his, gray's and goalkeeping coach contract?

Also, if sacked, then the new manager will want his own squad, which means getting rid of players DP has bought and bringing his own players in after less than a season. We all moan about stability, but sacking him in a month or two while just bring about more unstability

But if the job he was asked to do was to get us to mid table/keep us in this division, with the same playing budget as last season, by which Shez kept the team in the top six for much of the season, and we look like getting relegated, then he isnt doing the job he was asked to do.

That does somewhat depend precisely what he was really asked to achieve and with what resources, doesn't it.

I would agree with 0000 completely here, look at the situation between mid feb/end of feb then see where we are.

he'll keep us in this division :wink:

Yes. You said evaluate him around march, but if decide not to keep him, what money are you planning on using to pay up his, gray's and goalkeeping coach contract?

Also, if sacked, then the new manager will want his own squad, which means getting rid of players DP has bought and bringing his own players in after less than a season. We all moan about stability, but sacking him in a month or two while just bring about more unstability

I backed sacking Talbot because it was not working... Sacking Ronnie was a mistake and sacking Shez was a mistake and I said so at the time and argued to keep them. I am hardly the sort to go jumping for the managers head..

Your argument of stability is fine one and I back it. . BUT when its wrong it is wrong... If we are 22nd come March then I would suggest it is going wrong... You have to have the balls to make the right call... Just because TTA have made knee jerk bad reactions in the past will not stop me calling it the right way if the above happens...

Regarding the money, its the same old boring line everyone puts forward every time we talk about sacking a manager... Who is going to pay him off... Who is going to pay for the new players... No one would want the job... Yet every time we find the money and someone wants the job. I would suggest the ones who so often get it wrong get it right for once and make the right call at the right time... IF this slump continues that is... I am backing DP until March when I will review... Not happy so far with him...

I backed sacking Talbot because it was not working... Sacking Ronnie was a mistake and sacking Shez was a mistake and I said so at the time and argued to keep them. I am hardly the sort to go jumping for the managers head..

Your argument of stability is fine one and I back it. . BUT when its wrong it is wrong... If we are 22nd come March then I would suggest it is going wrong... You have to have the balls to make the right call... Just because TTA have made knee jerk bad reactions in the past will not stop me calling it the right way if the above happens...

Regarding the money, its the same old boring line everyone puts forward every time we talk about sacking a manager... Who is going to pay him off... Who is going to pay for the new players... No one would want the job... Yet every time we find the money and someone wants the job. I would suggest the ones who so often get it wrong get it right for once and make the right call at the right time... IF this slump continues that is... I am backing DP until March when I will review... Not happy so far with him...

Couldn't agree more. The thing with sacking Moore, TTA made a big mistake then. As they listened to the 'fans' on that instance, I think they effectively passed over that power rather than being a bit stern faced and riding it through. One more season with Ronnie I believe would have put us in much better stead and potentially up, but then theres the argument of paying to watch entertaining football which is a different matter. I would personally they have played any type of football to get us out of the division.

As such, we now have some fans who think we can sack a manager at the click of a finger whenever the going gets tough.

Maybe he meant the "other" Alan Irvine who played for Liverpool and a host of other clubs.

Compo should be OK, he Finance Manager for a Jaguar dealership in Edinburgh.....

:wink:

Well according to the almost-as-reliable-as-the-Chron wikipedia, anyway.

Alan Irvine II

Irvine is about to sign for Sheff Weds according to the BBC, so that rules that one out, although I am nout he should have ever been ruled in!

If we are 22 in march, how would you know sacking DP would be the correct decision - TTA would be giving in to fan power again which they wont do.

Penney was given a 2 year contract which shows that he has at least two years in which to turn the club around, TTA will back him for until at least end of the season.

I agree, we do seem to find the money, when we are not in the recession. They have paid shez & wright off already in a recession which will have cost them a bit. They have payed off plenty more managers in the past, but not in the current economic situation.

By saturday we will already have lost approximately 100k in revenue ( BBC North West Tonight mentioned it ) so we are finding it hard already, DP Gray And Collett will cost at leasr £150k to pay off.. Dont see TTA doing it..

All the debate about sacking dave penney lets just see how many people really want him out and who they want in to replace him using names mentioned in other threads

Very definatly it's david penny in for the duration for me, We have had far to many managers these past few seasons, And hazarding a guess to a certain extent I,ts disgruntaled fans who seem to be instigating the sackings,This board now needs to stand strong and back him to the hilt,I really belive that should we take one step back then dave will then take us two steps foreward...We all need to get behind him in these difficult times....