Should a Nationalised Bank sponsor a Football Club?

NUFC should not be barred from receiving such income just because it is a football club, but because it is a comparatively narrow means of reaching the wider public audience. If Northern Rock advertised on ITV it would have a universal audience of potential customers. Advertising via NUFC reduces that audience considerably.

You could be correct in saying that it is more effective to advertise on ITV than sponsor Newcastle, but how can you be sure unless you have done the market research. Have the government done the market research? I would expect Northern Rock would have and as they are a commercially run bank (though tax payer owned) I would think that they would be in a better position to make decisions about advertising than the government.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could be correct in saying that it is more effective to advertise on ITV than sponsor Newcastle, but how can you be sure unless you have done the market research. Have the government done the market research? I would expect Northern Rock would have and as they are a commercially run bank (though tax payer owned) I would think that they would be in a better position to make decisions about advertising than the government.

I suspect something like the following equation was used:

Where (A) is the number of people in the country who like Geordies because they talk funny and (B) is the number of football fans in Sunderland and Middlesbrough seeking large mortgages and/or savings accounts, if (A) – (B) is millions of people, then it might be a reasonable idea.

Where (A) is the number of people in the country who like Geordies because they talk funny and (B) is the number of football fans in Sunderland and Middlesbrough seeking large mortgages and/or savings accounts, if (A) – (B) is millions of people, then it might be a reasonable idea.

Add to this that the average mortgage in Middlesbrough will be about £10k, which will become negative equity after about six months/weeks/days/hours and won't be paid back as the person taking it out will be put away for child molesting within that time.

NB. Sunderland, however, is on the up and up. It's got a restaurant that isn't Nando's or KFC now.

I would expect Northern Rock would have and as they are a commercially run bank (though tax payer owned) I would think that they would be in a better position to make decisions about advertising than the government.

Past experience points to Northern Rock making the wrong decisions, hence Government rescue.

I would think that of the net millions who like Geordies because they talk funny, the vast majority wuld be against public money going to pay greedy footballers' wages. Even the small percentage who like football would consider NUFC a poorly-run Club not meriting an injection of public money.

I would think that of the net millions who like Geordies because they talk funny, the vast majority wuld be against public money going to pay greedy footballers' wages. Even the small percentage who like football would consider NUFC a poorly-run Club not meriting an injection of public money.

....and it will be ok for some tosspot advertising company to take the money instead?

Well aren't technically the BBC doing that in paying for the rights for Match of the Day/Football League Show?

Well aren't technically the BBC doing that in paying for the rights for Match of the Day/Football League Show?

The BBC is using licence-payers' money to provide entertainment. Northern Rock is using tax-payers' money to promote one particular Football Club competing against 23 others, in the hope of securing income from investors/borrowers.

It's the Bank's promotional budget.

Yes, hence why the bank is being promoted, not NUFC. Nevermind. :unsure:

It makes me cringe when people whinge about insignificant 'wastes' of government money. You'd be better off questioning the vast, vast amount of money wasted on the (liberty stripping and society harming) war on drugs, not to mention the fundamentals of modern monetary policy.

Frankly I believe Northern Rock (and the others for that matter) should have been allowed to fail, and I am fundamentally against the idea of nationalised banks, certainly for any extended period of time. Now that they are, I believe they must be allowed to operate exactly as they did/could as commercial entities. Otherwise they have either an advantage or disadvantage against their commercial competitors.

And let's face it, this government is far too incompetent to manage its own affairs, let alone run a bank.

Yes, hence why the bank is being promoted, not NUFC. Nevermind. :unsure:

It makes me cringe when people whinge about insignificant 'wastes' of government money. You'd be better off questioning the vast, vast amount of money wasted on the (liberty stripping and society harming) war on drugs, not to mention the fundamentals of modern monetary policy.

Prostitution too. Don't forget the prostitution.

The BBC is using licence-payers' money to provide entertainment. Northern Rock is using tax-payers' money to promote one particular Football Club competing against 23 others, in the hope of securing income from investors/borrowers.

For those who don’t like football, how is the BBC providing entertainment? Therefore how is the BBC benefiting the licence fee payer (which is a statutory tax on tvs by the state). At least if Northern Rock makes the government a profit, it will benefit the economy at large and therefore technically everyone would benefit.

For those who don’t like football :censored:e, how is the BBC providing entertainment? Therefore how is the BBC benefiting the licence fee payer (which is a statutory tax on tvs by the state). At least if Northern Rock makes the government a profit, it will benefit the economy at large and therefore technically everyone would benefit.

Slight alteration required there

Northern Rock, the nationalised Bank, has confirmed that it has entered into a new four-year contract to become the main sponsor of Newcastle United Football Club commencing from the start of the 2010/11 football season. The value of the deal will range from £1.5 million to a maximum of £10 million, with payments phased over the four years to the end of the 2013/14 season.

The agreement will be reviewed after two years and the £10 million will only be realised if Newcastle United is playing in the Greedy League for the full contract period.

As a tax-payer are you happy for your money to be used to sponsor a Football Club or should it be used to encourage investment and borrowing by people/bodies on a non-allegiance basis?

I quite fancy getting our money back so I quite like the idea of them advertising...

Do you think it is only Newcastle fans who will see this advertising... :blink:

Of course not. At the risk of repeating my opinion, my point is that fans of other clubs, and non-football fans, may be put off responding to this advertising, because they don't agree with their money. as taxpayers, being used in this way.

I only posed the question because it was quiet on here, but I'm fast losing interest in Northern Rock - geddit? :grin:

Of course not. At the risk of repeating my opinion, my point is that fans of other clubs, and non-football fans, may be put off responding to this advertising, because they don't agree with their money. as taxpayers, being used in this way.

I only posed the question because it was quiet on here, but I'm fast losing interest in Northern Rock - geddit? :grin:

Please besides the odd person who really needs to get out more, I doubt it being associated with another club is going to put many off...

Not surprised you are losing interest...its a bit of a pointless debate...