Would relegation make any difference?

An earlier post mentions the chance to go down a division and win some games and compete...

I recall having similar converstations when we were relegated from the premiership, and later the championship. However as we know, it did not happen.

Perhaps it will be third time lucky?

Relegation would not stop me renewing my season ticket for the 20th successive season (bought the first one after the excitement of the pinch me season and the fear of not getting into every game...hard to imagine anyone buying for the same reasons again). But its something that the club should avoid at all costs.

There is the argument that perhaps a successful season in League 2 would result in an overall upturn in fortunes and general confidence in the club. Success is a habit, and there are a number of teams that do back to back promotions from League 2 into the Championship.

I also understand the 'more local derbies' and 'new grounds' argument - lets be honest it is getting rather boring in this division and local matches are scarce.

But, whilst its possible to get success in a lower divions and use the momentum, its also possible to maintain the downward momentum and a single crap year sees the team out of the football league by 2011.

If you are going to re-build and gain momentum, lets start as high as we can. I think we do need a shot in the arm to get the club back on the right track - but I think that can be the stadium (even in failsworth) whilst we are in League One, and not a change of scenary in League 2.

Yeah but hasnt it crossed your mind next season in league could be as worst as this !

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes perfect sense...

Fans think we are a big enough club to be aiming for the Championship.

Same fans think it would signal the death of the club if we got relegated to L2.

I put forward view that a club which is or should be challenging for the Championship would not have such a small or fickle fan base that it could not survive in L2.

it really doesnt.

Crowds would be the same (Maybe higher due to more local teams).

Playing standard would be the same.

No huge drop in income.

We're never gonna be a Championship team either way.

Might have a chance of competing nearer the top of a league for 2 seasons.

See some new stadiums rather than ANOTHER year in division 3.

Obviously its not good, but nowadays would it make any difference???

No wonder we're in such a sorry state with such apathetic fans if getting relegated isn't so bad.Lets all give up eh?

I only want to go one way and that's upwards, ok yeah at the moment that's very unlikely but we might just re-group and come back stronger..we've done it before!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Crowds would be the same (Maybe higher due to more local teams). Doubt it...the ones likely to bring a decent following (Bury & Rochdale) are looking odds on for going up in our place!

Playing standard would be the same. As this season, maybe, but that is thanks to Penney's rejects and the abject style of football he has brought to the club!

No huge drop in income. Course it would...I know of a number of people who would be happy to stop buying a season ticket in favour of picking games next season, regardless of the division we are in.

We're never gonna be a Championship team either way. B*ll*x! We are NEVER going to be a Premier League team, fair enough, but we should have strived to get to the Championship and then target a good cup run each season with the outside chance of reaching the final of either the FA or League Cups and possibly even playing in the Europa League! Maybe a pipe dream but I'd rather have that then possibly watching us implode as we appear to be doing now!

Might have a chance of competing nearer the top of a league for 2 seasons. Yeah whatever. We all thought that way 13/14 years ago when we were relegated into this division!

See some new stadiums rather than ANOTHER year in division 3. AMAZING!!! Theres probably as many NEW stadiums in the Championship nowadays that we've probably not been to and I'd rather see them than go to the likes of Barnet or Morecambe!

Obviously its not good, but nowadays would it make any difference???

Relegation WILL signal the end for this club as we currently know it.

Only those clubs with a solid fanbase attending the home games have survived relegation to the basement and then back up again.

I'm afraid our club will witness a mass exodus of fans if we were relegated and will not return unless we're promoted and showing huge promise in succeeding at this level and possibly into the Championship.

With our club relying heavily on attendances to pay for players then we'd be scraping the barrel when "strengthening" the squad. I doubt we would gain promotion back into League One for at least the next ten seasons if it was to happen. Our current manager hasn't shown any signs of unearthing gems from the lower divisions and cannot motivate those players he has managed previously at other clubs.

Without any signs of self sufficiency but greater dependency on the owners/off-field activities then the owners would see the club as a bigger millstone than it is now. Build Failsworth, sell it off, recoup their losses from the BP site sale and leave the football club to the mercy of whoever buys Failsworth. Exit strategy would be based around "we've taken the club as far as we can", "if fans don't support the club then why expect us to do the same", "we're confident that the new owners will raise OAFC from the ashes and start afresh with great promise..blah...blah...blah"

Once Failsworth is sold, I predict we would enter administration as a club (with the stadium owned separately) and then restart in the non-leagues in name alone and effectively a lodger in the stadium or playing elsewhere with Failsworth, dare I say it, housing another league team.

An earlier post mentions the chance to go down a division and win some games and compete...

I recall having similar converstations when we were relegated from the premiership, and later the championship. However as we know, it did not happen.

Perhaps it will be third time lucky?

Relegation would not stop me renewing my season ticket for the 20th successive season (bought the first one after the excitement of the pinch me season and the fear of not getting into every game...hard to imagine anyone buying for the same reasons again). But its something that the club should avoid at all costs.

There is the argument that perhaps a successful season in League 2 would result in an overall upturn in fortunes and general confidence in the club. Success is a habit, and there are a number of teams that do back to back promotions from League 2 into the Championship.

I also understand the 'more local derbies' and 'new grounds' argument - lets be honest it is getting rather boring in this division and local matches are scarce.

But, whilst its possible to get success in a lower divions and use the momentum, its also possible to maintain the downward momentum and a single crap year sees the team out of the football league by 2011.

If you are going to re-build and gain momentum, lets start as high as we can. I think we do need a shot in the arm to get the club back on the right track - but I think that can be the stadium (even in failsworth) whilst we are in League One, and not a change of scenary in League 2.

2 ways of looking at it. A knock back or an opportunity. On the previous 2 relegations the club has treated relegation as a knockback. If TTA were able to use it as an opportunity, then perhaps it could do us some good. If they treat it as a knock back then it will be more of the dreary same.

Yeah but hasnt it crossed your mind next season in league could be as worst as this !

Perhaps. But I'd back that another year in charge would see an improvement.

Even if not, a struggle in League One next season is still preferable to the potential of a struggle in League 2 and the prospect at the end of that if unsuccessful.

2 ways of looking at it. A knock back or an opportunity. On the previous 2 relegations the club has treated relegation as a knockback. If TTA were able to use it as an opportunity, then perhaps it could do us some good. If they treat it as a knock back then it will be more of the dreary same.

I like the glass half full approach - and you are right you can react positively to a relegation. But still, you'd pick not getting relegated at all wouldn't you?

With TTA, I suspect that an early relegation might have been a greater catalyst opportunity to rebuild the club from the bottom up. This type of thing takes a lot of energy and ethusiasm, and with the owners still fresh, still willing to put money in, it could have been a great starting point.

Now - I think the energy has dwindled a bit with TTA. Set-backs on the pitch (despite reasonable funding), set-backs off the pitch with the ground / economy, and the realisation that the Oldham public need a sustained period of success to get them through the turnstiles may have dented there verve.

I dont get to go much but it seems like staying up would paper over the cracks.

If we stay up, we will again sign poor division 3 players. If we went down, we could attract the better division 4 players and rebuild.

Dicnt Dp already ship them division 4 players now.

Nice in theory. Except the club doesn't always get to choose between knockback and opportunity, and I don't believe the owners have the means to turn it into an opportunity this time.