Gary McDonald

Do you think he ever for for us again what was that song that latics used to sign after he scored v Everton.

i love to see him back i heard he may be leaving Aberdeen who are looking to loan him out.

Would love to see it happen,

BUT..

Next!!!!!!!!!

played and scored today not gna happen

i gotta agree with the bit i put in bold.. :disappointed:

I think his deal runs out end of the season we may bid for him but i can see him joinning a club in the championship he was a legend at oldham afer what he did to Everton.

Barry Owen if you reading this thread bring him home to oldham please

Edited by RoyleArmy

Was he a legend? He'll quite rightly be remembered for the Everton goal, but I seem to remember alot of fans criticising him back then in the same way they criticise Whitaker now - too lightweight and disappearing for entire periods during games.

I think he was better than many gave him credit for while he was playing for us, and I suspect quite a few have realised that since. Not a superstar by any stretch, but he'd probably improve the midfield we have now.

Was he a legend? He'll quite rightly be remembered for the Everton goal, but I seem to remember alot of fans criticising him back then in the same way they criticise Whitaker now - too lightweight and disappearing for entire periods during games.

I think he was better than many gave him credit for while he was playing for us, and I suspect quite a few have realised that since. Not a superstar by any stretch, but he'd probably improve the midfield we have now.

In fairness to gazza, at least he would get stuck in at times

Gary McDonald is better than Danny Whitaker.

BUT

He's not a League One first teamer, or at least not a first teamer in a team at the other end of the table. So no, I don't want him back and there's a 99% chance we won't want him back.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

BUT

He's not a League One first teamer, or at least not a first teamer in a team at the other end of the table. So no, I don't want him back and there's a 99% chance we won't want him back.

Does that mean Gary Mac is better than Richie Wellens.

Exactly. I was only thinking a couple of weeks back (I think after the Tranny 0-0) how it would be great to have GMac back in the team, then my realistic brain kicked in, the rose tinted glasses fell off, and I remembered how much I used to forget he was on the pitch, and used to chase shadows for large periods of the game.

The only thing he absolutely gave you was a midfielder that genuinely attacked the box, which is why I think people are thinking of him now, but to be honest - his shooting was awful, and his 'football brain' wasnt good enough to put him in the right position most of the time... Wellens carried him for long period in his first season, and Killer for long periods in his second...

Will always be an oldham "legend" though, for one memory rather than service, dont think he will or should ever come back because that will be spoiled....

Edited by BigfinLatic

Just my personal opinion, but I have always thought this guy would make a better striker than he would midfielder

Pretty Tall/Strong

Very good header of the ball

Rasping shot with either boot

He had a remarkable ability to try a cultured side-foot that usually curled on to the post, but rarely in to the net.

The only rasping shot I recall was the 45th minute toe poke at Everton!

Edited by opinions4u

BUT

Stephens apart though is he better than what we currently have and more importantly more of a goal threat?

Edited by oafcprozac

Andy Ritchie and Roger Palmer are Legends, Gary Mac did one thing and that was to score a belter at Everton but please dont call him a Legend.

he is ten times better than the rabble we have in midfield at the moment,I personally would love to have him back in the present team, Although i very much doubt that he would take a backward step...but hey ho funny things happen in football...gary mac a legend

Gary Mac was a good player, with two abilities that were exceptional - his ability to hit the box at the right time and his workrate. However, he also had an uncanny ability to miss very presentable chances and didn't really ever dominate a midfield. What I think we miss more than anything is the attitude that a couple of good professionals like Warne and GMac brought to the team - we always seemed like a happier club when they were around the place, less friction and more respect from the fans.

Anyone see his celebration yesterday? Rubbish, as usual!

Just my personal opinion, but I have always thought this guy would make a better striker than he would midfielder

Pretty Tall/Strong

Very good header of the ball

Rasping shot with either boot

I'm sorry Carl - but that is about a million miles away from the player I remember! Very rose-tinted!

He was about 6' - so yes, pretty tall, but regularly hammered by well, everyone, in the midfield battles. Wellens normally was the muscle in that midfield!

I dont think I ever saw him hit a 'rasping' shot - as has been said, his speciality was just putting it past the post... yes, he would probably be the second leading scorer in our team but he missed a shed-load of sitters, and other than that goal, werent that many 25 yarders....

As for heading, well, errr, possibly - cant really remember.

Dont get me wrong - I love him for what he did for us... but if it wasnt for those goals at Scunny and Everton he would barely even be remembered.... he is just one of many pretty interchangable lower league midfielders... what he did have was the desire to improve and run his heart out, even if he wasnt the best player, or didnt really touch the ball, ever, at least you knew he was always giving his all...

I'm sorry Carl - but that is about a million miles away from the player I remember! Very rose-tinted!

He was about 6' - so yes, pretty tall, but regularly hammered by well, everyone, in the midfield battles. Wellens normally was the muscle in that midfield!

I dont think I ever saw him hit a 'rasping' shot - as has been said, his speciality was just putting it past the post... yes, he would probably be the second leading scorer in our team but he missed a shed-load of sitters, and other than that goal, werent that many 25 yarders....

As for heading, well, errr, possibly - cant really remember.

Dont get me wrong - I love him for what he did for us... but if it wasnt for those goals at Scunny and Everton he would barely even be remembered.... he is just one of many pretty interchangable lower league midfielders... what he did have was the desire to improve and run his heart out, even if he wasnt the best player, or didnt really touch the ball, ever, at least you knew he was always giving his all...

I tend to agree, I remember a few games when the game just went by him.. ( not as bad as Butcher though)>>>

why are latics fans constantly looking to the past to go forward?

gary mac, andy ritchie... we've got a promising stadium being planned and the team are starting to play a little bit better.

maybe we should look to the future and get behind the team

we've got a promising stadium being planned do you think it going to really happen i like to see it happened

Edited by RoyleArmy

In his first season with us, the performances from September to February 06-07 were pretty much sublime. Consistantly chipping in with important goals, bustling around from box-to-box he was the perfect midfield partner for the quality of Wellens. When we went off the boil in the later stages of that season he was one of the biggest culprits for going missing in key games and I think he carried that form with him into the following season.

His goal at Everton aside, 07-08 was a huge letdown, as we saw what potential he had and Allott coming in eclipsed him with many great performances. Maybe he needed that quality midfielder alongside him allowing him to do what he did best, which was be a threat on the edge of their box and break up play when opponents were attacking. When he left after his contract was up, I don't recall too many Latics fans being too gutted about it.

That said, he still provided us with many good moments, much more than a lot of midfielders have. Not sure I'd have him back though.