Today's Performance

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a sociology graduate i'd argue that the alienation inherent in the capitalist system leaves people feeling powerless and seeking to assert themselves in whatever limited way possible,in an arena where they feel accepted and where they feel they are owed control that they would arguably be more justifiably entitled to in their work. I'd also argue that football is one of the last bastions of machoism, where men can feel free to take out their frustrations in a manner that would be prohibited by the social norms elsewhere in their lives.

The main conclusion i would draw would be 'some people are just tw*ts'.

but to push your analysis on to another level:-

Any football fan has 3 principal objects on which to vent their feelings;

Their own team

The other team

The officials

Now, what does it say about a "fan" who chooses the first of these objects on which to mainly vent their feelings?

I would suggest a sense of self-loathing and a potential self-destrutive streak could be inferred from this type of behaviour. But I am a layman in this field. Discuss?

I was impressed with the performance today. We defended when we needed to (which wasn't that often if truth be told) and we attacked well and could quite easily have scored 5 or 6 goals.

I liked the look of Jason Price and him and Abbott linked up well on a few occasions.

PS. Those who were singing "you don't know what you're doing" to DP when he took furman off, get a grip you fools!

You were impressed??????? Are you kidding??? We were garbage. 5 or 6 goals. get your head out of the clouds pal. We were lucky to get 1 goal, although I am happy with 3 points. This guy is the worst manager we have ever had and Smalley has to be one of the worst players in my time (:censored: scared all the time and no heart). To sub Furman before Smalley today was a joke. Thanks for the 3 points. Goodbye Penney (very soon) me reckons)!

but to push your analysis on to another level:-

Any football fan has 3 principal objects on which to vent their feelings;

Their own team

The other team

The officials

Now, what does it say about a "fan" who chooses the first of these objects on which to mainly vent their feelings?

I would suggest a sense of self-loathing and a potential self-destrutive streak could be inferred from this type of behaviour. But I am a layman in this field. Discuss?

It's a classic example of contradictory working class consciousness that the easiest targets are the least appropriate.So,at work,rather than being angry at your employers for failing to implement satisfactory working conditions, you get angry at your workmates for taking 7 minutes longer than they should have for their lunch break. Similarly, rather than being angry at a system whereby smaller clubs are effectively punished for trying to live within their means while bigger clubs are rewarded for irresponsible management, people take out their anger on individuals who are trying to work within conditions not of their own choosing, with limited and varying degrees of success.

i would however refer you to my earlier "people are tw*ts" hypothesis.

It was a strange decision, considering he was clearly the best player on the pitch today.

The people who need to get a grip are the ones telling the ref to send Smalley off because "he can't play football". He had a fairly decent game today; I'm not a huge fan of his, but even the hardest-nosed player would struggle to improve after being subjected to such nonsense. It felt like a case of "typical Latics fans", always looking to have a pop at the youngsters for some unknown reason.

:shock: Did we watch the same game? I was sober as I worked this morning. Did you have a few???? Fess up!

It's a classic example of contradictory working class consciousness that the easiest targets are the least appropriate.So,at work,rather than being angry at your employers for failing to implement satisfactory working conditions, you get angry at your workmates for taking 7 minutes longer than they should have for their lunch break. Similarly, rather than being angry at a system whereby smaller clubs are effectively punished for trying to live within their means while bigger clubs are rewarded for irresponsible management, people take out their anger on individuals who are trying to work within conditions not of their own choosing, with limited and varying degrees of success.

Apply your theory to Mr. Potter, Rosa? Discuss...

As a sociology graduate i'd argue that the alienation inherent in the capitalist system leaves people feeling powerless and seeking to assert themselves in whatever limited way possible,in an arena where they feel accepted and where they feel they are owed control that they would arguably be more justifiably entitled to in their work. I'd also argue that football is one of the last bastions of machoism, where men can feel free to take out their frustrations in a manner that would be prohibited by the social norms elsewhere in their lives.

The main conclusion i would draw would be 'some people are just tw*ts'.

i'll tell ya what rosa one more hour when mi shed gets mashed ..if you can make head or tail what i am drivelling on abaht ...then you are a better brain trainer than charlotte malachowski buhler :grin: :grin: :grin:

I would claass your hypothesis as a generalisation, that fails to differentiaite between the differign motivations that are expressed in the same behaviour type.

I would also suggest that the male emotial repsonse to dissatisfaction is primarily aggresive (mainly non-physical in the current social context) due to hormonal response (and therefore entirely blame-free) but that the direction of the response reeqquires further analysis; rather than just adress the aspet of contridcitory working class concioucxcesness, why not explore the evidnce of the abuse of the opposition and the refreee as an authority figure??

And whaatt abotut the effetc of aalocchol on all this stuf?

i'll tell ya what rosa one more hour when mi shed gets mashed ..if you can make head or tail what i am drivelling on abaht ...then you are a better brain trainer than charlotte malachowski buhler :grin: :grin: :grin:

You've gotta love Mr. DWBH. Much respect, lad.

I was there with a Liverpool fan today who had never watched Latics before in his life. He was shocked at the abuse that Penney and the players were getting. All he could see was a hard working bunch of players, dominating a game of football but not having a slice of luck in the box.

He saw what I saw then.

Anything we get in the next three games is going to be a bonus but we have got to get behind the team/club because if we can keep picking up wins in games like today, we'll still stay up pretty comfortably.

While I defend the right of a fan to let his (or her) team know exactly what they think, that fan should think before doing so!

Putting things in to perspective, the team put a shift in yesterday and some in the ground still failed to appreciate it.

If Latics end up relegated in May, perhaps finishing 1 point behind the side in 20th place, some "fans" shouldn't be able to look in the mirror - because their lack of support when the team deserves it could well be the difference between League One and League Two next season.

Edited by opinions4u

But he doesnt.

Yes he does. Most of the things I was worried about have been addressed or at least partially addressed by Penney:

Lack of shots/ goals

Link-up between midfield and attack

passing the ball to feet

defence hitting the front men at the right time

all round effort and belief

Not a bad performance at all from Latics yesterday. Diego says we were even better at Swindon.

Get off Penney's back and make BP feel like a 'home' venue for Latics.

I have to say I cringed the, "You don't know what you're doing" chant came out. Everyone was up and cheering when we scored a few minutes later though.

Sociologists might argue that perhaps the average football fan has little control over their lives, at work the boss is king, at home the wife is king but on the terraces they are the king. They pay the piper and they can call the tune. Sociologists might argue that this is why the self perceived little man may pick on an other individual and unburden the week's worth of strife they have felt.

Other people might argue that some people just like shouting at other people.

Well done mate. At last someone who sees it has it really was.

Won the game

3 more points

worked hard

always in control of the game

lacking in confidence

walsall were absolutely bloody awful

price takes a load off abbott - who was knackered after 60mins

Players having to listen to clowns screaming and shouting crap doesn't help

great challenge from Brill

smalley needs a break from 1st team

3 points will do for me

Won the game

3 more points

worked hard

always in control of the game

lacking in confidence

walsall were absolutely bloody awful

price takes a load off abbott - who was knackered after 60mins

Players having to listen to clowns screaming and shouting crap doesn't help

great challenge from Brill

smalley needs a break from 1st team

3 points will do for me

pretty much sums it up

i posted earlier in this thread about smalley,did some decent stuff in first half but second half wasnt interested,actually stood or walked around holding his leg groin wanting to come off....penny should have done it and put colbeck on then,then he has an excuse to put himin reserves for a bit and not get crucified over it.

taylor lacking fitness but second half showed some of what he can do,took the defenders on and put in some decent crosses.

pretty much sums it up

i posted earlier in this thread about smalley,did some decent stuff in first half but second half wasnt interested,actually stood or walked around holding his leg groin wanting to come off....penny should have done it and put colbeck on then,then he has an excuse to put himin reserves for a bit and not get crucified over it.

taylor lacking fitness but second half showed some of what he can do,took the defenders on and put in some decent crosses.

Yeah, i was surprised when Smalley was limping and Colbeck wasn't even warming up - also Warsaws 8ft 6" (ok, slight exaggeration) centre half, was injured 5 minutes later and for the rest of the game him and Smalley did the 'limp' dance.

and you're right 'bout Taylor, even though he is definately lacking match sharpness, it was good to see him going at the full back on his left peg - if he can stay fit for the rest of the season, it'll be like signing a new player.

Edited by futchers briefs

Myself and my Dad came out of the ground feeling upbeat and positive for the first time since the MK Dons win.

Walsall are a top half team with a good away record, and they were given very little chance today after that first header. Perhaps not a great performance by them, but that could be as much the fact we didn't allow them to rather than them being crap. Millwall looked poor as well at BP, yet took 3 points off us and we never looked like scoring all day on that occassion.

Yesterday, I think we looked capable of getting a goal for most of the game, and finally did. Having another player alongside Pav that is actually half-decent made a big difference, and the midefield looked lively good. Taylor semed to get better as the game went on, and perhaps Dean was the weak link yesterday (Colbeck in for a few games might be worth a look).

Defensively we looked in control, and Brill did well to get out of the backpass incident later on with that great tackle outside the area. And apart from 5 minutes after the goal where we conceded a number of free-kicks and put ourselves under pressure, the way we didn't panic and kept the ball meant that we were not subjected to the late nail-biting finish I'd half expected as a team low on confidence dropped deeper and deeper to hold on to the win.

Perfect? No. Room for improvement? Of course. But, signs of improvement and the possibility that DP can take us away from the risk of relegation and build a team for the future? I think so.

I think we played far better than some are giving us credit for in this thread.

We controlled the game throughout and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

Walsall's record and being in the top half of the table suggests that maybe we played well to stiffle them, rather than them being utter garbage as some have suggested.

Taylor is still not fully fit but had his best game for a long while and did set up the goal.

Stephens was excellent and Furman put himself about.

Abbott although still not fully fit appeared to work well with Price who is a handful and is certainly better than we already have at the club, we should try to extend his loan if possible.

As for the clowns booing and shouting at substitutions, 0-0 when Furman came off, 1-0 at the final whistle, enough said.

Not watched Oldham for long then? I've been watching them for nearly 29 years and I can name two worse Oldham managers than Penney and there have been a lot worse players than Smalley.

I've watched them for 36 years. Name them then............????? Penney is clueless. Smalley aint got the heart. We want the same thing, its just that some of us are more realistic than others. What upsets me most is that Smalley has the talent but he doesn't want it. You have almost watched us long enough to remember a midfielder called Darren McDonagh??? He would have broken his leg to win a tackle???? There has been others since....... Milligan..... Henry..... Duxbury..... Smalley hasn't got what it takes pal, HEART. Dave Penney stood and watched that performance yesterday and substituted Furman after his best performance instead. It isn't a coincidence that 25% of the crowd got on his back at that point...... its just that some of us know how to play the game.

I've watched them for 36 years. Name them then............????? Penney is clueless. Smalley aint got the heart. We want the same thing, its just that some of us are more realistic than others. What upsets me most is that Smalley has the talent but he doesn't want it. You have almost watched us long enough to remember a midfielder called Darren McDonagh??? He would have broken his leg to win a tackle???? There has been others since....... Milligan..... Henry..... Duxbury..... Smalley hasn't got what it takes pal, HEART. Dave Penney stood and watched that performance yesterday and substituted Furman after his best performance instead. It isn't a coincidence that 25% of the crowd got on his back at that point...... its just that some of us know how to play the game.

Your winding us all up with your postings arn't you? :lol: I've watched them for 40 years, (do I win a prize?) and I can give you two worse managers than Penney, Ronnie Moore & Andy Ritchie. You might know how to play the game, (not well enough to do it for a living though i'll wager) but you sure as hell havn't a clue how to manage. Furman was subbed not because he was poor but because Penney wanted to try something different. That makes him a bad manager in your eyes does it? He's on a par with Wenger and Ferguson then cos they've subbed Fabregas and Rooney when they've played blinders. But your right about it not being a coincidence that a few, (noway was it 25%) of the crowd got on his back, it just proves that some fans can't wait for an opportunity to slate the manager cos they've no idea about the game.

Whatever your prejudice's against Penney are, the guys won two promotions...Clueless? err...I think that might be you actually.

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Your winding us all up with your postings arn't you? :lol: I've watched them for 40 years, (do I win a prize?) and I can give you two worse managers than Penney, Ronnie Moore & Andy Ritchie. You might know how to play the game, (not well enough to do it for a living though i'll wager) but you sure as hell havn't a clue how to manage. Furman was subbed not because he was poor but because Penney wanted to try something different. That makes him a bad manager in your eyes does it? He's on a par with Wenger and Ferguson then cos they've subbed Fabregas and Rooney when they've played blinders. But your right about it not being a coincidence that a few, (noway was it 25%) of the crowd got on his back, it just proves that some fans can't wait for an opportunity to slate the manager cos they've no idea about the game.

Whatever your prejudice's against Penney are, the guys won two promotions...Clueless? err...I think that might be you actually.

Well said!

I was impressed with the performance today. We defended when we needed to (which wasn't that often if truth be told) and we attacked well and could quite easily have scored 5 or 6 goals.

I liked the look of Jason Price and him and Abbott linked up well on a few occasions.

PS. Those who were singing "you don't know what you're doing" to DP when he took furman off, get a grip you fools!

Agree - Penney is always being called negative - so.....he brings a more attacking creative midfielder on for a more industrious one (although he was brilliant at what he does best!) and he then doesnt know what he is doing - the bloke cannot win (oh wait - we did didnt we!) Thought Colbeck should have come on for Deano sooner fink that's what got on people's goat more than anything else - but was all a bit harsh!