Top Performers this season

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Abbott does his fair share of running if you ask me. Not all players have to bust a gut for every single ball to put their shift in. Abbott works hard enough bringing the ball under control and he does this in most cases if you ask me. He does his job a damn sight better than a lot of the others we have out there, and, although not as often as I'm sure we'd all have liked, has got himself a few goals this season, which is a contribution none of our other strikers can brag about.

hes a proffesional footballer. bringing the ball under control isnt sufficent effort. its like playing with ten men half the time

I am utterly gobsmacked at the stick some posters are giving to Abbott in this thread.

All entitled to your views, but:

- it's less than a week since he created the opening goal v Orient

- it's 24 hours since he hammered home a late equaliser to give us a point against Wycombe (a penalty that, IIRC, his shot at hand earned)

- he is our leading goalscorer, despite being out for 2 months injured

- he is clearly the single most talented player in the team

If there were crosses flying in from left or right and he wasn't getting on the end of them, then I'd agree. If there was creativity abound in the middle of the park sending him past defenders in to one on one chances against the keeper and he was missing every time, I'd buy the moans.

I thought Latics fans could see a good footballer when they had one. Just because he doesn't run himself stupid chasing lost causes in the first 15 mniutes doesn't mean he's a waste of space.

There is lots of other rubbish to deal with at the football club before Pawel Abbott should come on to anybody's radar.

I am genuinely gobsmacked.

Edited by opinions4u

I am utterly gobsmacked at the stick some posters are giving to Abbott in this thread.

- it's 24 hours since he hammered home a late equaliser to give us a point against Wycombe (a penalty that, IIRC, his shot at hand earned)

If there were crosses flying in from left or right and he wasn't getting on the end of them, then I'd agree. If there was creativity abound in the middle of the park sending him past defenders in to one on one chances against the keeper and he was missing every time, I'd buy the moans.

I thought Latics fans could see a good footballer when they had one. Just because he doesn't run himself stupid chasing lost causes in the first 15 mniutes doesn't mean he's a waste of space.

There is lots of other rubbish to deal with at the football club before Pawel Abbott should come on to anybody's radar.

You're absolutely right, Abbott has done well and is a decent player at League 1 level.

It just goes to show how little some people know about the game.

GREGAN!

Book closed.

I was very anti-Gregan last year. Especially after dog-gate, mine and Omar's altercation with him after Colchester and the way our season collapsed. I felt, as captain, he should have done more.

But, this season, he has been immense. Man of the match in 90% of our games. If it wasn't for him, I fear we would be doomed.

I also don't think Hazell has been as bad as some people have made out this season.

Disagree with that, i think that gregans is the most talented player in the team,

Gregan has been head and shoulders (sometimes literally) our best player this season. In fact he could have a few mares cost us a bundle of points and I would still vote for him.

Abbott has looked quite good in patches but his long injury lay-off and other little bits about his game wouldn't make him a contender- still our best forward this season by a huge margin.

Stephens has looked good this year and the fact he seems to be 6ft2, and didn't seem to be that tall when he signed for us probably suggests why he wasn't getting played initially. Plus Steven Gerrard is his cousin and Gerrard grew a bit in his late teens IIRC, and suffered a bit with injuries as result.

Hazell and Jacobsen have both looked good in patches, although that may be because I missed Hazell's blunders (or have forgetten them) and I've not seen Jacobsen that much.

For anyone to suggest Lee has looked good recently wasn't watching the same game as me yesterday. He looked exactly like he is a poor midfielder who isn't known for putting his foot in being played at RB (or LB), when his contract is up I would get rid as with him being a Man United yoof/reserve I'd imagine he is on a decent wage and we can do a lot better IMHO for what we are paying him, even if we were only paying tuppance hapenny.

However, if Gregan doesn't win every player award he is capable off something has gone wrong. Its just a pity that such awards seem to have a bit of curse on them with us.

Gregan has been head and shoulders (sometimes literally) our best player this season. In fact he could have a few mares cost us a bundle of points and I would still vote for him.

Abbott has looked quite good in patches but his long injury lay-off and other little bits about his game wouldn't make him a contender- still our best forward this season by a huge margin.

Stephens has looked good this year and the fact he seems to be 6ft2, and didn't seem to be that tall when he signed for us probably suggests why he wasn't getting played initially. Plus Steven Gerrard is his cousin and Gerrard grew a bit in his late teens IIRC, and suffered a bit with injuries as result.

Hazell and Jacobsen have both looked good in patches, although that may be because I missed Hazell's blunders (or have forgetten them) and I've not seen Jacobsen that much.

For anyone to suggest Lee has looked good recently wasn't watching the same game as me yesterday. He looked exactly like he is a poor midfielder who isn't known for putting his foot in being played at RB (or LB), when his contract is up I would get rid as with him being a Man United yoof/reserve I'd imagine he is on a decent wage and we can do a lot better IMHO for what we are paying him, even if we were only paying tuppance hapenny.

However, if Gregan doesn't win every player award he is capable off something has gone wrong. Its just a pity that such awards seem to have a bit of curse on them with us.

agree with most of that except stephens and lee

stephens is coming on nicely but not as good as many on here think[yet] too many stray passes and elephant touches for me

lee,i think given the chance would have a lot to offer,i thought he did well yesterday his passing is very good and far from the worst player out there yesterday....whether he would want to stay is a different kettle of fish

player of the season agreed gregan

For anyone to suggest Lee has looked good recently wasn't watching the same game as me yesterday. He looked exactly like he is a poor midfielder who isn't known for putting his foot in being played at RB (or LB), w

The bit that has impressed me about him is his composure on the ball and his ability to find a blue shirt and the odd over lap from full back hes not a hard tackling full back but a decent ball playing midfielder who has never been given a steady run in his best position for us

The bit that has impressed me about him is his composure on the ball and his ability to find a blue shirt and the odd over lap from full back hes not a hard tackling full back but a decent ball playing midfielder who has never been given a steady run in his best position for us

Whenever I've seen Lee play in midfield he has looked far too lightweight for me, he is far too easily just brushed off the ball, to me he may make a RB in time but not a midfielder at this level.

Gregan

Stephens

Abbot

Lee has done well since coming back into the side

Smalley Taylor and Furman have been massive disapointments

spot on really but i think furman has been played too defensive when he should be attacking.

id say :censored: was really good before penney started to leave him out

I agree. The only player we have (Gregan excepted perhaps) who has the ability to create time and space for himself when he receives possession. He sticks out like a sore thumb with his ability, I'd have thought it was plain to see.

Gregan and Abbott.

As mentioned :censored: was good until being overlooked for whatever reason. Jacobson has been steady.

I'd put Alan Sheehan ahead of a few of our players who have played all season and he was here just for a month.

:censored: in CM still our genius decided to drop him after one bad game. Can't remember :censored: & Stephens playing together much.

I think :censored: has been dropped for non-footballing reasons too. Getting yourself injured because you were in a fight and drunk is not a good way to stay in your manager's good books. More power to Penney if he has dropped :censored: for that sort of thing- if only Shez had done that more.

I think :censored: has been dropped for non-footballing reasons too. Getting yourself injured because you were in a fight and drunk is not a good way to stay in your manager's good books. More power to Penney if he has dropped :censored: for that sort of thing- if only Shez had done that more.

What rubbish! If he's done something so bad, leave him out completely and get rid, its about doing your job on the field, couldn't care what he does outside of the club as long as he improves the team which he was doing.

What rubbish! If he's done something so bad, leave him out completely and get rid, its about doing your job on the field, couldn't care what he does outside of the club as long as he improves the team which he was doing.

Don't be so stupid. A football club needs internal discipline otherwise certain players would get away with murder (and I'm sorry to say that could be literally). He was dropped because he got himself injured by getting into a fight and instead of playing for Oldham he was in hospital getting his jaw looked at after being punched.

I'm a big :censored: fan (I can go back to a couple months when I said he was the best player for us in a game despite playing in two different positions). Penney drew the line at not being able to pick him because he was injured and someone else got picked instead. If that other person plays well enough to keep their place then why should :censored: get back in once fit. He's played since the incident, which happened over New Year, but that was at full back and for some reason Penney prefers Lee over :censored: there at the mo.

Would :censored: get into my team at the mo- no that's because Furman works better with Stephens I think and TBH Worthy can't be too far away from being fit enough to start. Does :censored: get in my team ahead of Whittaker- Yes, whittaker is not the sort of player we need when we are in a relegation scrap and we are playing some of our rivals. In fact :censored: would get in my team ahead of Lee at RB too. If :censored: doesn't get injured, he would be in the team now but he got injured in something which is not related to football and couldn't be put down to bad luck- if he doesn't get picked because the person replacing him plays well then I'm sorry but that's his own bloody fault.

Maybe, just maybe, if Shez had done what DP has done and not picked someone who has done something wrong instead of letting them get away with it Shez would still be managing here, instead certain players were allowed too much leeway and it cost him his job.

To be honest, i havent really any problem with our defenders. Greegs is obviously our player of the year, and after the first couple of months of the season Ruubes has been pretty consistent. Joey J is also a very decent defender at this level, and would have loved to have seen him from the start of the season. With Holdsworth and potentially Goodwin there too, I dont think our defence needs too much work.

Its everything infront of them that needs stripping apart and starting again. Stephens has had a great season for him however he is a still a long way off being the answer to all our prayers. With Whits & lee sodding off (hopefully) and Tayls going (hopefully/probably for some wedge) then its rebuild time. With Eaves coming through to hopefully be an alternative for Paw in the near future (not yet - but in a year or so), Penney can concentrate on finding that goalscorer from somewhere.

Smalley is here for another year. But along with Jigsaw they have 12 months to prove themselves.

However, what we do obviously depends on what division we are in... <_<

For anyone to suggest Lee has looked good recently wasn't watching the same game as me yesterday. He looked exactly like he is a poor midfielder who isn't known for putting his foot in being played at RB (or LB)

Really? That's ironic, or maybe not so, as I recall some of us likening Stephen's movement and style to Gerrard back when he was playing in the reserves last season.

As for Lee, I think you were watching your own game seeing as you're well on your own with that opinion. Considering his previous form and the dire state of the team as a whole, to step in a rightback like he has done has been fantastic.

Maybe, just maybe, if Shez had done what DP has done and not picked someone who has done something wrong instead of letting them get away with it Shez would still be managing here, instead certain players were allowed too much leeway and it cost him his job.

Maybe, just maybe, the amount of leeway that Shez did or didn't give his players shouldn't be an issue given his significant and near constant over-achievment on what has now been confirmed, without any shadow of a doubt, as being a :censored: budget.

And let's not portray Penney banishing one of his rare good signings into a plus whilst having a little dig at Sheridan, who, by direct comparison, was Bill :censored: Shankly. :lol1:

Not according to his Mum, she told me he was 20 when I asked her on Tuesday night.........

Oh aye? And what's your game Shelly? :naughty: