4-5-1 formation ?

Will this now be DPs preferred formation home and away?

I would like to think that the management team's research of opposition players leads to a formation best set out to beat said opposition.

I would love to know why we abandoned 4-5-1 second half. Whitaker paled in to insiginifcance as a result.

Will this now be DPs preferred formation home and away?

Whilst it is commonly seen as 4-5-1 and has been reported as such by many on here, including myself, I believe that it is more of a 4-2-3-1.

Of the 3 in the middle of the "5" last night Stephens & Furman sat in behind Whitts who was pushing on more.

Most of the top teams are playing something similar at the moment. Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunited tend to play Rooney up front by himself, Chelski play Drogba up front on his todd with Anelka more often than not farmed out on the right, whilst Liverpool play with Torres ploughing on his own with Gerrard behind in support.

It is probably a more attacking formation than a rigid 4-4-2.

Well it is whan you have players that score goals :disappointed:

Whilst it is commonly seen as 4-5-1 and has been reported as such by many on here, including myself, I believe that it is more of a 4-2-3-1.

Of the 3 in the middle of the "5" last night Stephens & Furman sat in behind Whitts who was pushing on more.

Most of the top teams are playing something similar at the moment. Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunited tend to play Rooney up front by himself, Chelski play Drogba up front on his todd with Anelka more often than not farmed out on the right, whilst Liverpool play with Torres ploughing on his own with Gerrard behind in support.

It is probably a more attacking formation than a rigid 4-4-2.

Well it is whan you have players that score goals :disappointed:

That's the big problem with shifting away from the tried & tested; solid 4-4-2 - you have to have the players to undertake it.

4-5-1 at our level tends to sway towards being a negative formation rather than the positive one it's possibly intended to be; simply due to the fact that L1 players do not have the abilities to successfully carry it out.

In any 4-5-1 example from an attack minded Prem formation compared to our own attempts; it's the technical abilities of the players that show up (obviously) & lead to its success.

For Torres up on his own as the 1; with Gerrard supporting from 'in the hole' as the highest of the midfielders - swap in Abbott & Whittaker. Hmmmm

For Rooney and the 2 out-right wide men; swap in Abbott with Taylor & Smalley (or Colbeck; or Millar of late). Hmmmmm

For the sitting midfielders; Obi-Mikel or Carrick vs. Furman. Hmmmmmm

These are obvious comparisons; but 4-5-1 works as an attacking formation for premier league team on a regular basis as they have world class players in every department; who can carry out the needs of their respective positions down to a tee. We don't.

Our players have been brought up on 4-4-2 since they had their first pair of boots and were playing in the kiddie-leagues. Due to the constraints of the players abilities; I always feel moves away from a well planned & executed 4-4-2 are always risky.

The issue this season for me is the fact that the stock 4-4-2 hasn't been well planned & executed - if it was; then we wouldn't even need to be discussing a change to 4-5-1.

Damm It - here was a thread about Tactics & Formations that so far hadn't really been highjacked - Damm It!!

I fear my sensible post was the start of it. I should have just put something random instead.

Is this the real Sly Stallone? If so I have named my dog after Rambo and I think your well arder than that Mr T fella.

I fear my sensible post was the start of it. I should have just put something random instead.

Is this the real Sly Stallone? If so I have named my dog after Rambo and I think your well arder than that Mr T fella.

Mr T is a "TV Hard-Man"; you wouldn't get me advertising Snickers!!

Anyway; we should stick with 4-4-2 done properly.....

Edited by slystallone